Poll

What is your view?

Both meat and vegetables are needed, so I'm an omnivore
14 (73.7%)
Vegetarianism FTW
0 (0%)
Anything animal related is disgusting. Vegan.
0 (0%)
PLANTS!? CARNIVORUM FOR ME-ETH!
2 (10.5%)
Everything has life! Rocks for me.
2 (10.5%)
Meh
1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Meat, meat, a wonderful thing?  (Read 4590 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Meat, meat, a wonderful thing?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2006, 09:39:07 pm »
Well, like it says in that fantastic Maddox article that I just put in that last post...Wheat is murder! Animals get FUCT UP when those huge combines comb the fields, eh?

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2006, 08:08:53 am »
In the general case, I don't view predation as being within the scope of morality. Is it moral for a fox to eat a hen? The question is meaningless. So humans eating meat isn't moral or immoral; it's amoral. That said, one can take issue with the treatment of farm animals. Idealy, they should not be made to suffer unneccisarrily. That's the real moral issue on eating meat: Are you torturing or predating?

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2006, 08:13:31 am »
Isn't the morality question raised more because of the necessity issue? To reuse your analogy, if the fox already had a perfectly good meal and wouldn't need to eat the hen, why would or should it?

Legend of the Past

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2006, 05:07:23 pm »
As said before, there is nothing wrong with eating meat. There truly is nothing immoral about a fox eating an hen. But, let me tell you something about vegetarians-I think they're filthy hypocrites who think they're in touch with nature, but have done nothing but missed the whole damn point.
So, I'm to blame for eating a cow? Well, why isn't that stag to blame for eating that leaf? Cuz the leaf doesn't have a brain? Cuz it doesn't have nerves? Cuz it can't feel pain? I say, no! To me, all life is equal. The act of feasting upon another's life to prolong your own is a natural, necessary act, which ENSURES THE CONTINUITY OF LIFE. Despite the fact I do not believe anyone deserves death, this case is a special one, as one must always look after himself, at least in the most basic of ways, and take part in this struggle to life. As such, there are plants that defend themselves. There are plants who eat living animals. Saying 'I won't eat that lamb but I will tomato because the tomato won't tell the difference' is a horrible thing to say.

I eat both due to what I believe. My so called 'Law of Equality of Life' states a carrot and a chicken are worth the same, and therefore I should not hesitate to consume them, even if on the same plate. I'm on a race that's on the top of the food chain, I accept it and shut the hell up. So should the vegetarians.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2006, 06:35:24 pm »
In the general case, I don't view predation as being within the scope of morality. Is it moral for a fox to eat a hen? The question is meaningless. So humans eating meat isn't moral or immoral; it's amoral. That said, one can take issue with the treatment of farm animals. Idealy, they should not be made to suffer unneccisarrily. That's the real moral issue on eating meat: Are you torturing or predating?

I don't like to dignify concepts like "morality" with my earnest discussion most of the time, but for the sake of making a point, let me play along with your phrasing. Many of these so-called moral judgments that people make only exist because we have sufficiently advanced minds to conceive of the desire for a judgment in the first place. You're right that a fox would be committing an amoral act by eating a hen. Indeed, if we had to pass judgment, I think a good one would be that the fox is doing what is natural for it.

But people aren't foxes. We have brains powerful enough to step above our instincts and behave rationally, if desired. And now that society provides us with more than enough food to satisfy our basic needs, all of a sudden this question of what to eat becomes more complicated. Is it really harmless for us to pick our oceans clean of fish? It may be harmless from the uncaring perspective of the universe, but it is something that we humans find upsetting because of the loss of these diverse creatures, the loss of a good food source, and the risk of unintended consequences in the biodiversity of the oceans. And it is certainly harmful for the fish.

Likewise with mammal meat: Every day it seems like the scientific community produces another study suggesting that higher animals are more capable of mind than we realized. Due to the spectacular rarity of cognitive sophistication in the course of biological evolution, these creatures are worth a lot more than we may be able to quantify economically. We certainly should think twice before consuming these animals to their extinction, and, moreover, we should even rethink the fate of those individual animals who are alive today: What life experiences are we depriving them of, by raising them as food stock? Even if their deaths are as painless as possible, what about their lives? If slaughtering live humans--after raising them in captivity for their entire lives--sounds even the least bit repugnant to you, then, at the very least, you have to consider the question again for animals.

It's all too much for a fox to wrap its craft little head around...but we humans are stewards of the entire planet. We need to think about this.

As said before, there is nothing wrong with eating meat. There truly is nothing immoral about a fox eating an hen. But, let me tell you something about vegetarians-I think they're filthy hypocrites who think they're in touch with nature, but have done nothing but missed the whole damn point.
So, I'm to blame for eating a cow? Well, why isn't that stag to blame for eating that leaf? Cuz the leaf doesn't have a brain? Cuz it doesn't have nerves? Cuz it can't feel pain? I say, no! To me, all life is equal. The act of feasting upon another's life to prolong your own is a natural, necessary act, which ENSURES THE CONTINUITY OF LIFE. Despite the fact I do not believe anyone deserves death, this case is a special one, as one must always look after himself, at least in the most basic of ways, and take part in this struggle to life. As such, there are plants that defend themselves. There are plants who eat living animals. Saying 'I won't eat that lamb but I will tomato because the tomato won't tell the difference' is a horrible thing to say.

I eat both due to what I believe. My so called 'Law of Equality of Life' states a carrot and a chicken are worth the same, and therefore I should not hesitate to consume them, even if on the same plate. I'm on a race that's on the top of the food chain, I accept it and shut the hell up. So should the vegetarians.

Ouch, Legend. That's atypically angry of you! And I also find myself in disagreement.

Now, first let me disclaim my speech with this (chicken?) nugget of truth: I do eat meat. I notice that I hadn't said that in this thread yet, so I just wanted to make that clear in order that you can understand my argument to come from a more objective point of view. (It's the same reasoning by which I started that fat prejudice topic awhile back despite not being all that fat.)

Vegetarians are not "filthy hypocrites." Maybe some of them are individually, but so are other people. Neither filth nor hypocrisy is a common trait to the condition of vegetarianism. Indeed, those who refrain from meat are a very diverse group, ranging from nominal vegetarians who will still eat eggs, dairy, and fish, all the way to raw-food vegans who consume as prehistoric a diet as possible and would balk at the consumption of any food product (or purchase of any non-food product) that contains any trace of any animal or animal byproduct. Some people refrain from meat for health reasons; others for reasons of personal taste; still others for animal rights; others yet because of social or ideological reasons. So it is difficult to speak of vegetarians in generalized terms with much accuracy. "Filthy hypocrites" is not a good way to start.

You don't necessarily have to feel guilt for consuming meat. Your sense of propriety and the rationale by which you come to your judgments may indeed spare you from such an emotion. I don't want to lay a guilt trip on you, but I do want to feed this controversy back to you in a form that may compel you to reconsider your own point of view.

Your argument is at its worst when you claim that a carrot and a chicken are "worth the same" and that eating tomato rather than lamb because the tomato won't know the difference is "a horrible thing to say." I should think you spoke too zealously here; these claims were dead on arrival and I don't feel the need to address them.

Conversely, your argument is at its best when you speak of the integrity of the food chain ("continuity of life" as you put it), and of the historic precedent for eating meat. It is certainly true that many creatures out there have eaten meat, including humans. But are we hypocrites for reconsidering that practice now? No, we're not. What is happening is that the human species is coming into new forms of knowledge and awareness that are giving many of us a reason to doubt the prudence of eating meat. There is no shame in changing your mind after learning something new. The only shame, perhaps, was that you had made up your mind in the first place.

Humanity is now so far removed from the effects of natural selection on this planet that it would be silly to rationalize our dietary customs solely by the food chain. Our "role" in the food chain is like that of a centralized black hole into which all other living things vanish. If you defend the practice of eating meat simply because we have the skills to acquire meat and the anatomy to digest it, then you are selectively taking one piece of this issue and using it to make statements about the whole. The fact of our ability to eat meat cannot by itself account for the full ramifications of our actually doing it. We must also talk, as I said to Radical_Dreamer above, about the life experiences of which we are depriving the animals we consume, and also about the biodiversity of our world and the potential of its future.

Maddox is free to take potshots from his perch as a popular icon and stuff himself with as much meat as he likes. But people of good conscience must begin to wonder about the justifiability of consuming animals that are so similar to us. I wonder too, because I still eat meat. I eat it because it is tasty, plentiful, and inexpensive. It makes me feel good after I eat it. Growing fat by the flesh of animals is a pleasure that pulses in our very genes. But none of that makes it right, and I do wonder about my practices. Remember this, Legend: As highly sentient creatures, we now have the means to be aware of every life we take. Let us kill with good cause.

And remember this as well: Someday, humans will seldom if ever eat meat. Which side of history do you want to be on?

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2006, 07:20:32 pm »
Vegetarians are not "filthy hypocrites." Maybe some of them are individually, but so are other people. Neither filth nor hypocrisy is a common trait to the condition of vegetarianism...So it is difficult to speak of vegetarians in generalized terms with much accuracy. "Filthy hypocrites" is not a good way to start.

Quoted for emphasis...Legend, your generalization was borderline disgusting.

Anyways...everyone should just be forced to grow or raise whatever they want to eat and leave everyone else the fuck alone...what do I care for actually having enough space to do this? >_>

grey_the_angel

• Alternate Primary Member
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • CC:ALSAT project leader/sole member >.>
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2006, 09:14:32 pm »
Vegetarians are not "filthy hypocrites." Maybe some of them are individually, but so are other people. Neither filth nor hypocrisy is a common trait to the condition of vegetarianism...So it is difficult to speak of vegetarians in generalized terms with much accuracy. "Filthy hypocrites" is not a good way to start.

Quoted for emphasis...Legend, your generalization was borderline disgusting.

Anyways...everyone should just be forced to grow or raise whatever they want to eat and leave everyone else the fuck alone...what do I care for actually having enough space to do this? >_>
actually, considering you need mow down more area to make the huge stockpiles needed for vegetrians, one could say they kill off other species faster.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2006, 09:19:10 pm »
actually, considering you need mow down more area to make the huge stockpiles needed for vegetrians, one could say they kill off other species faster.

Just the opposite: Raising livestock for food requires higher volumes of land than raising vegetation for food. That's how it always works when you move "up" the food chain. A very high acreage of vegetation produces only a small quantity of meat.

Legend of the Past

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2006, 01:06:38 am »
Perhaps I was overgeneralizing. I might not of explained what I meant by Vegetarians.

If a forty year old man were to get a heart attack, and was told to not eat pork for a year, and perhaps try to refrain from eating too much meats in general, I find some conditions to be somewhat different. The filthy hypocrites I was talking about were the ones who refrain from eating meat because 'it's murder'. Right, it's murder. And don't get me wrong-I don't approve of stuffing animals or making them suffer horrible, horrible pain before they die. I'm all against that. But I don't really see why we cannot simply get all our dairy products, eggs and meat in the good old ways. Just because they need to be made in commercial amounts doesn't justify the means with which it's used. I'm certain there can be other solutions. But they would probably never eat meat, regardless of how it was taken, because they believe that just because the cow was alive and probably conscious at the time of her death it's wrong to eat her, and if the tomato, which is no less alive than the cow, wasn't, it's alright to eat THAT. Like I said, to me, all life is equal, and treating two living things different on the basis of if it has a brain or not seems to me like a terrible thing to do. Those sort of people may not all be hypocrites, but those who are aware, and say 'That orange doesn't feel pain', that is to me just as bad as killing a disabled, paralyzed person. He'll never feel the pain, he may not even be conscious to protest, but still, people would rise up for him. Or for even a paralyzed dog. And some people would rise up for a paralyzed rat.
Animal rights are a noble act, but I once saw a girl who was in my class, and my biology teacher asked her why she doesn't eat meat. She replied it's murder. The teacher asked her, 'Why, aren't vegetables alive?' and the girl replied 'no'. It's either ignorance or hypocrisy. While some can't be helped, I wish I could say I stand both.   

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2006, 01:24:40 am »
Perhaps I was overgeneralizing. I might not of explained what I meant by Vegetarians.

If a forty year old man were to get a heart attack, and was told to not eat pork for a year, and perhaps try to refrain from eating too much meats in general, I find some conditions to be somewhat different. The filthy hypocrites I was talking about were the ones who refrain from eating meat because 'it's murder'. Right, it's murder. And don't get me wrong-I don't approve of stuffing animals or making them suffer horrible, horrible pain before they die. I'm all against that. But I don't really see why we cannot simply get all our dairy products, eggs and meat in the good old ways. Just because they need to be made in commercial amounts doesn't justify the means with which it's used. I'm certain there can be other solutions. But they would probably never eat meat, regardless of how it was taken, because they believe that just because the cow was alive and probably conscious at the time of her death it's wrong to eat her, and if the tomato, which is no less alive than the cow, wasn't, it's alright to eat THAT. Like I said, to me, all life is equal, and treating two living things different on the basis of if it has a brain or not seems to me like a terrible thing to do. Those sort of people may not all be hypocrites, but those who are aware, and say 'That orange doesn't feel pain', that is to me just as bad as killing a disabled, paralyzed person. He'll never feel the pain, he may not even be conscious to protest, but still, people would rise up for him. Or for even a paralyzed dog. And some people would rise up for a paralyzed rat.
Animal rights are a noble act, but I once saw a girl who was in my class, and my biology teacher asked her why she doesn't eat meat. She replied it's murder. The teacher asked her, 'Why, aren't vegetables alive?' and the girl replied 'no'. It's either ignorance or hypocrisy. While some can't be helped, I wish I could say I stand both.

"Alive" or "not alive" is a straw man argument. It isn't that tomatoes aren't alive. They are. It's that the nature of high animals is much different from that of plants, and we might rightly say that these animals have, at some level, an awareness of the experience of life. Tomatoes don't have that.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2006, 01:58:23 am »
Plainly you've never seen Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2006, 02:22:17 am »

Quiet! He must not be allowed to learn of the killer tomatoes!

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2006, 02:54:20 am »

Quiet! He must not be allowed to learn of the killer tomatoes!

Oh, right. Me and my big mouth.

Well, secret's out now, so I guess it won't hurt to post this for Legend's sake:

Quote from: The Arrogant Worms song: "Carrot Juice is Murder"
Listen up, brothers and sisters
Come hear my desperate tale
I speak of our friends of nature
Trapped in the dirt like a jail

Vegetables live in oppression
Served on our tables each night
This killing of veggies is madness
I say we take up the fight

Salads are only for murderers
Cole slaw's a fascist regime
Don't think that they don't have feelings
Just 'cause a radish can't scream

{Refrain}
I've heard the screams of the vegetables, scream scream scream
Watching their skins being peeled, having their insides revealed
Grated and steamed with no mercy, burning off calories
How do you think that feels, bet it hurts really bad
Carrot juice constitutes murder, and that's a real crime
Greenhouses prisons for slaves, let my vegetables grow
It's time to stop all this gardening, it's dirty as hell
Let's call a spade a spade, it's a spade it's a spade it's a spade

I saw a man eating celery
So I beat him black and blue
If he ever touches a sprout again
I'll bite him clean in two

I'm a political prisoner
Trapped in a windowless cage
'Cause I stopped the slaughter of turnips
By killing five men in a rage

I told the judge when he sentenced me
"This is my finest hour
I'll kill those farmers again
Just to save one more cauliflower"

{Refrain}

How low as people do we dare to stoop
Making young broccolis bleed in the soup
Untie your beans, uncage your tomatoes
Set potted plants free, don't mash that potato, ah

I've heard the screams of the vegetables scream scream scream
Watching their skins being peeled fates in the stir fry are sealed
Grated and steamed with no mercy you fat gourmet scum
How do you think that feels leave them out in the fields
Carrot juice constitutes murder V8's genocide
Greenhouses prisons for slaves yes your compost's a grave
It's time to stop all this gardening take up macramé
Let's call a spade a spade it's a spade it's a spade it's a spade

Of course the song itself is way funnier.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2006, 03:22:24 am »
Quote from: The Simpsons
You don't make friends with salad!

The difference between a lion eating a deer is that a lion was obviously built for that sort of stuff, and that a lion doesn't go around mass producing genetically modified deers, only to have the stuffed in small cages and pumped full of hormones while waiting for the to grow plump and fat, and the slit their neck and electrocute them.

Unless Daniel has another movie we need to know about.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2006, 03:24:01 am »
Carrot juice is murder. I've got that song. Nice taste, Daniel.