Author Topic: OMFG  (Read 3162 times)

Corey Taylor

• Guardian (+100)
  • # 8 Corey Taylor SlipKnoT
    • View Profile
OMFG
« on: November 17, 2006, 01:01:48 am »
The recent weather changes lead me to believe that our time is soon to end on this Earth. I've been worried about the apocalypse for a while but there are signs fo abnormality in weather that are rather convincing. But it's not just weather. I can't explain it. Things are just changing dramatically. This topic is prone to smart ellick remarks so could you just leave the a$$holes behind just this once?

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Re: OMFG
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 01:08:59 am »
I'll try to be polite then. The climate on the planet changes. It's done it before, and it'll continue to do so. Man's actions can affect the climate, but I'm not going to kick the hornets nest of how much or how little. The point is that everytime in the past that the climate has changed (and there have been far faster, far more drastic changes than what you're seeing) life has endured. There is no reason to believe that the current changes would indicate the approaching end of life on earth. Not even close. So don't worry about it.

Life will endure.

but2002

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Death Omen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 01:10:07 am »
This seems to be a useless topic, but yes, Many believe that we are in the Apocalypse, and I too do believe that we are.

Lets see.. All you Stargate fans here, if you seen Stargate : SG-1 Episode: 200

You know how they use teh TV Show as Coverup for the True Stargate Operations?

You never know, It could be true, and if such an Apocalypse were to befall us, lets hope the Government forgets Coverups, Earth Evac.. :P

Corey Taylor

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 01:18:29 am »
I'm just worried because I've heard about Antarctica melting and raising sea level. Plus the recent spur of tornadoes in Alabama. I've never heard of four or more tornadoes consecutively spawning in Alabama. Though we are close to the Gulf of Mexico, there has never been weather this bad unless we were in a hurricane. Katrina wasn't nearly as bad as the weather we had this week.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 01:36:11 am »
How long have you been keeping track of Alabama tornadoes? Geological time is beyond easy grasp. But lets assume that your observations represent a drastic divergence from recorded history, and that there are now more tornadoes occuring in Alabama. This is one season. It could simply be an outlier, these things happen. But if we further assume that it is part of a trend, then that really doesn't change the fundamental fact that it is not the apocalypse. It just means the weather has changed in Alabama, possibly other places. This might be catastrophic. I hope not, but my hopes don't really matter in the grand scheme of things. What I can tell you is this: Even if the climate change is unnatural, and catastrophic to Alabama, that is not the apocalypse. The world will not end, and humanity, and most forms of life will endure. More importantly Life will endure. Capitalization intentional.

Corey Taylor

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 01:46:11 am »
It's not just Alabama. I read a thread earlier about weather changes in Oklahoma and Washington. But weather isn't the only problem. Things have changed alot. I can't really explain it.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 02:08:16 am »
Welcome to life. To change with change is to stay the same.

Extreme weather will increase with temperature due to global warming. But it can be stopped, and even if it wreaks havoc, life will endure. That's no reason to sit around, though. Fight global warming however you can.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 03:03:18 am »
I have heard that the climate has only been stable for 10,000 or so years, since the ice age. A sort of climate anomoly. That strange balance may now be ending, given further impetus by man-made causes.

Interestingly, it may well be that it is precisely that strange constancy which gave civilization the chance to develop, for it allowed our widespread agriculture. If it fails now... well, not the end of the world. But there could be massive famine. Fortunately, we've become advanced enough to be able to cope with that sort of thing. It might hit us hard and take a massive toll, but we're not going to go backward, of that I'm certain.

And no, I don't think it's the end of the world, any more than I think that this generation is the most wicked to ever walk the earth. It is natural tendancy to see one's own generation in the worst light, and in hand with this goes the idea that the world is coming to an end because of natural disasters. However, that's not the case. Sure, the climate may be turning about a bit, but there's no cause for doomsaying in that - if anything, it should be a wakeup call to be more careful with the environment. Yet, natural disasters have always happened, and it's just reactionary to think that suddenly the world is going to end because of a climate fart here or there. Here's an example. In the year 1600 or so, mount Santorini blew up. And literally, blew up. This wasn't like Vesuvius. The volcano very violently exploded, taking half the island of Thera, a flourishing Minoan state, with it. They say the power was five times greater than Krakatoa, and could be easily heard in Krete. Was it the end of the world? The Trojan War hadn't happened yet. The Hebrews were only just beginning to be subdjugated in Egypt. It certainly was not.

Or here, not quite natural, but a disaster enough, and maybe it had a natural catalyst: the Sea Peoples. In the year 1200BC, pirates suddenly began raiding the Mediterranean. We're still not certain who they were, but the ideas are that they were a loose confederacy of groups from the north-Mediterranean coasts, from Greece to Sardinia... perhaps themselves driven out of their homeland by Indo-European invaders (these theories are questioned.) What did happen, though, was that Egypt was invaded, and only barely fought these invaders off - invaders sailing ships with crow's nests, and sporting iron armour - partially by hiring some as mercenaries. Unable to land in Egypt, they take to the Levant, settling in the region just when the Hebrews are arriving, and are known in the Bible by the name of one of their tribes, the Peleset, or Philistines. But the entire north-Mediterranean had suffered drastically in this time. Hattusis, capital of the mighty Hittite empire, the rivals of Egypt, was sacked - never again did the Hittites hold any great power, they who had at one time been masters of the Middle East. Further south, the city of Ugarit is also burned, and records just before the destruction shows them living in fear of imminent invasion by peoples from the sea. In the land of Hellas, the great Mycenean citadels were burned, and Greece was thrown into a veritable Dark Age for four hundred years. Writing, which had existed in the form of Linear B, ceased to be used, and not until Homer in 750 BC would it return. The complex palace cultures and kingdoms of the Mycenaeans fell in favour of minor regional lords and chieftains. Oh, it must have looked to those Greeks like the end-times, to be sure. The great powers overthrown, and relegated to a more primitive existance. Where then the heroes who fought at Troy? Hesiod in later years laments his age, which he calls that of Iron, which is the worst of all, as he sees it. But wait! Was that the end? Certainly not! For not yet had that bright star of Classical Greece arisen, one that far outshone old Mycenae. So maybe it is that, in despite of the seeming turmoil, the best is yet to come. We'll have to wait and see, but history seems to argue in favour of this.

Exodus

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • How do we know we exist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 03:04:10 am »
I'm just worried because I've heard about Antarctica melting and raising sea level. Plus the recent spur of tornadoes in Alabama. I've never heard of four or more tornadoes consecutively spawning in Alabama. Though we are close to the Gulf of Mexico, there has never been weather this bad unless we were in a hurricane. Katrina wasn't nearly as bad as the weather we had this week.

A ridiculous notion. You still have the same amount of mass. If the ice melts, the water level remains the same.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 03:33:30 am »

How easy it is, O fools!, O knaves!, to leap to dramatic conclusions like the end of the world--when you do not understand so much as a single fact about the world! Forsooth, my distinguished companion: The world's clockwork majesty is more fine-tuned than your nitwitted noggin can comprehend, and I for one know which would fly apart first in a shower of springs and sprockets.

Why don't you bother learning about the Earth than prognosticating the demise of it?

Antarctica: Antarctica is covered in humongous sheets of ice that are truly grand in size and scope. When land-based ice melts, it runs into the ocean. When a humongous sheet of land-based ice, such as the ice covering Antarctica, melts and runs into the ocean, the ocean gets a bit fuller and the sea level rises. The ice sheet on the western region of that continent is unstable, and as a result it is much more susceptible to melting. That ice is likely to melt in the coming centuries, and possibly within this century. It will raise global sea levels. It may well be partly our fault, too. But it is still a natural process, and hardly an extraordinary one in the grand scheme of things. It in no way signifies the end of the world. It may cause global troubles, but so did the Fox News Channel.

Alabama: Tornadoes require a special set of weather conditions to form, including warm, moist air on the ground, cold air higher up, and strong wind shears between the two layers. These conditions are rare throughout most of the world, but not in the United States Midwest and South. Alabama is good enough to get its share. If you've never heard of four tornadoes spawning in Alabama, you need only look back to 1974 when, on one April afternoon, at least eight tornadoes--including four extremely intense and long-lived storms--killed dozens of people, injured hundreds, and caused tens of millions of dollars in damage. On that same day, no less than 148 tornadoes broke out from Alabama to Ontario, Canada. It was a rough day, but it wasn't the end of the world--and neither is this.

The world isn't coming to an end. It might be overwhelming to you, but that would only mean no worse than your world is coming to an end--and let's hope you don't allow that to happen.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 03:34:58 am »

A ridiculous notion. You still have the same amount of mass. If the ice melts, the water level remains the same.

That only applies to sea-based ice. Land-based ice does not displace any water--until it melts into the oceans.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 07:33:42 am »
Talk about strange weather in Australia! Coldest day November day in Australia for 20 years, and apparently in Sydney for 100! It was fucking cold. I thought my balls were about to drop off, and my lungs about to explode. I wore a T-shirt to school. A bloody T-shirt. My mum told me to wear a jumper, but noooo...

Let this be an example to the rest. Mother knows best.

saridon

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • eater of cows and small fuzzy animals since 1991
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 07:44:40 am »
Talk about strange weather in Australia! Coldest day November day in Australia for 20 years, and apparently in Sydney for 100! It was fucking cold. I thought my balls were about to drop off, and my lungs about to explode. I wore a T-shirt to school. A bloody T-shirt. My mum told me to wear a jumper, but noooo...

yep coldest night in 100 years and we're almost in summer >.< fkn weather

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 11:48:52 am »

How cold was it? Personally, I could go out and walk to school with shorts and a t-shirt at... well, till at least 0 Celcius. That'd be fine. Lower than that, I'd still wear a t-shirt, but a jacket at least, and long pants. Right now, it's usually about -5C hereabouts, which is rather nice, all told. It COULD be -20C - which I'd be alright with too, I suppose.

Actually, I have noticed strange weather here, too. For example, a few years ago it was +15C at Christmas. How's that? It's supposed to be at least -20.

Mavix

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • I'm the pirate and I make any fool walk the Plank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 02:05:11 pm »
The as we know it might already be here. I have a certain feeling in my gut that tells me its coming.
here are some reasons-

1: Diseases killing people all over the world.
2: Angry A$$ storms destroying are society in some places.
3: war amongst our selfs. (THE WORLD)
4: curupt society's
5: Greed and fighting for power insdead of sharing. (taught from our mommy's)
6: this guy came to my doorstep last week and gave my a newz thing that saying stuff about the revalations, (wacko :lol:)

thats some of the weird reasons. I can go on for a long time.

Hope none of this happens, CAUSE I'M TOO  YOUNG TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!! :cry: