Author Topic: The name Lavos?  (Read 5846 times)

kennyj2003

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
The name Lavos?
« on: November 14, 2006, 07:11:19 am »
This might have been discussed already but I can't find anything on it. I understand Ayla calls "it" lavos because its look as a red falling star/flame "La means fire, Vos means big"(or the other way around >.< can't remember) But why does Zeal and others call it Lavos when they have no idea what it looks like or anything seeing as "it" never awakened before the destruction of Zeal. :shock: Could Ayla and others really have passed it down all those thousands of years:?:

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
Re: The name Lavos?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 01:24:10 pm »
Maybe Lavos was seen as a mythical creature living near the planet during the time from Ayla and Zeal. It just became a Legend until they in Zeal found out that it is indeed true?

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 05:41:58 pm »
Could Ayla and others really have passed it down all those thousands of years:?:

Apparently.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 07:05:51 pm »
It might also be 'simplified' for story purposes. They could speak a variant of it. In the same way that both Latins and Greeks have essentially the same name for their top god. The Latins have Jupiter, and the Greeks Zeus*, which is basically the same*. There could be a similar sort of connection, which Ayla inventing a name like Zeus, whilst the Zealots call it Jupiter - but the story retains Zeus, just to keep away from irrelivant linguistic considerations.

*Before anyone tells me 'No, they're just two different names for the same god!' let me explain. They are indeed the selfsame name. Instead of simply Zeus make it 'Zeus father' or, as it would be in Greek, 'Zeus Pater'. Mash it together. Zeuspater. Take off the ending 's' (which is an ending; the genetive of Zeus is in fact Dios, dative Dii) and you get Zeupater. Now, Z and I are a bit similar, at least in writing. Some Greek letters use an I shaped one for Z. Thus, Ieupater. Ie. Jupiter. Nifty, eh? Both languages have Indo-European roots, and the root for 'pater' is of extreme, extreme antiquity. Most western languages use a variant, from the English 'Father' to the German 'Vater', Greek 'Pater', and so on. And the Zeus-god is a very old Indo-European deity, part of both Latin and Greek roots.

grey_the_angel

• Alternate Primary Member
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • CC:ALSAT project leader/sole member >.>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 09:06:34 pm »
It might also be 'simplified' for story purposes. They could speak a variant of it. In the same way that both Latins and Greeks have essentially the same name for their top god. The Latins have Jupiter, and the Greeks Zeus*, which is basically the same*. There could be a similar sort of connection, which Ayla inventing a name like Zeus, whilst the Zealots call it Jupiter - but the story retains Zeus, just to keep away from irrelivant linguistic considerations.

*Before anyone tells me 'No, they're just two different names for the same god!' let me explain. They are indeed the selfsame name. Instead of simply Zeus make it 'Zeus father' or, as it would be in Greek, 'Zeus Pater'. Mash it together. Zeuspater. Take off the ending 's' (which is an ending; the genetive of Zeus is in fact Dios, dative Dii) and you get Zeupater. Now, Z and I are a bit similar, at least in writing. Some Greek letters use an I shaped one for Z. Thus, Ieupater. Ie. Jupiter. Nifty, eh? Both languages have Indo-European roots, and the root for 'pater' is of extreme, extreme antiquity. Most western languages use a variant, from the English 'Father' to the German 'Vater', Greek 'Pater', and so on. And the Zeus-god is a very old Indo-European deity, part of both Latin and Greek roots.
gonna be completely honest...I have no clue what the hell you just said.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 10:21:00 pm »

He just explained how the name Zeus became Jupiter when the Romans adopted the Greek pantheon. It's actually pretty interesting.

grey_the_angel

• Alternate Primary Member
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • CC:ALSAT project leader/sole member >.>
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 02:50:29 am »

He just explained how the name Zeus became Jupiter when the Romans adopted the Greek pantheon. It's actually pretty interesting.
actually, what I got was him diving into a headlong discussion of roman and greek varation in thee alphabet. >.>

Luminflare

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 03:48:07 pm »
That's not really the point...
I mean, not many people who weren't either directly involved with Lavos in the Zeal incidents or the main party ever actually refer to Lavos at all, so it isn't that hard to believe, is it?

Jonathan

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 03:20:22 pm »
Well a huge thing came crashing into the Earth during a crucial war that would determine who would survive (apes/humans or Reptites).  I guess it could be believable that the humans told the story of the epic battle and Lavos crashing in the earth for many many years…   

But even if the name was passed on…  How would the people of Zeal know that the thing they’re taking power from is the same thing that crashed in the Earth in 65,000,000? 

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 07:45:48 pm »
Well, there can't be that many things that fell from space and drilled into the core of the planet.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 03:33:12 am »
Queen: 'No, Schala, it's perfectly safe. I'm sure this is the OTHER demon in the earth. Nothing to worry about.'

Magus068

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Speak the truth, even it leads to your death!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 03:38:23 am »
I'm curious about Lavos' name too.   Anything that has a length of 64,987,000 years can easily forgotten.  Even if there's an ancient artifacts mentioning the name Lavos, it can easily crumble into dust or might be forgotten by the time it reached 13,000 BC.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 08:06:28 am »
Probably something that wasn't looked over.

But then again, it could be a language trait in CT. I mean, if they spoke the same language in 65,000,000BC as they do in 2300AD, then who knows. La Vos may be like Latin, a dead language, or some sort of slang or who knows. Though, I'm not sure how Zeal would make that assumption since I doubt anyone truely knows what Lavos looks like. Ayla called Lavos Big Fire because whilst he was falling, he looked like a fire ball, and secondly he was huge.

Zeal wouldn't know that Lavos was firey because he never fell. So this may relate to the flame. That the FF was found and if it's a small chunk of Lavos, then Lavos must be a huge firey thing. Hence he's a Big Fire.

Sophos

• Iokan (+1)
  • Sophos - P = Sopos = Armpit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 09:09:36 pm »
The way it happens was probably because Lavos was a huge part of history. If Ayla called it Lavos, then everybody in her tribe called it Lavos, and so, by word of mouth, the story of Lavos and all were told, and so the existence of Lavos was always recognized by the descendants of man, because all of the descendants of man, including Zeal, which must've broken off at some point. The legend stood the test of time, and so Lavos was connected to any giant apocalyptic being that attacked, simply because any giant apocalyptic being would be recognized as Lavos, and it just so happens that Lavos is the only giant apocalyptic being to attack. Had it been another giant apocalyptic being, that being would've been called Lavos, surely.

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 06:34:42 pm »
Sophos hit the nail on the head.