Author Topic: Mystic Eyes in Chrono Trigger  (Read 6377 times)

Big_Mac

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Re: Mystic Eyes in Chrono Trigger
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2007, 06:08:30 pm »
Could it be that because he was harnessing the Shadow Element it warped his physical appearance. I mean, when he was a kid, he didn't have pale skin or the pointed ears. Perhaps over exposure to magic changes a person physically. Perhaps shadow magic warps the body to reflect in the magic.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2007, 11:45:18 pm »
Doubtful. Shadow is also the culmination of the other elements. Presumably, Schala was well skilled in the use of Shadow magic, and her ears and eyes are normal.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2007, 11:55:00 pm »
Schala might also be a Light innate, however, and while she may possess some Shadow magic she most likely does not possess it to the extent her brother does, much like he has knowledge of other elements but most of his magic concentrates on Shadow.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 05:56:25 am »
I think it's definitely related to Shadow, OR just "evilness", and it may or may not have been an intentional transformation. Compare with Dark Serge's red eyes and evil face.

Magus_Brokenhart

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2007, 08:56:43 pm »
Why do people say that Schala uses shadow magic? Is it because she sealed the gate on the Prophet's command? Maybe a sealing spell is of another innate. It might just be a block to prevent access to anything inside it, that being the gate. I think that makes Schala more likely to be either a white, or red innate like Kid...But maybe Kid became red because of Lucca.

SolidSnake_8608

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2007, 01:29:27 pm »
I think the only thing one can gather from the games is that Schala must have a wide variety of magic skills, just like Magus. I suppose that one could make an assumption that she may use shadow magic, as it seems like that type of magic is popular in Zeal, plus I don't believe Lavos would react to much to other forms of magic other than shadow (it just seems to fit the cliche of wizards summoning huge evil dudes in games and anime. Magus summoned Lavos with shadow magic (one could assume), Schala was activating the Mammon Machine with some kind of magic, I just assume it is some type of shadow seeing as how the only other frame of reference to someone "summoning" is when Magus attempts to do so). But I think the easiest answer is that she is just skilled in many elements of magic.

alpha

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2007, 03:58:59 pm »
The only problem is that eye colors don't naturally change. Especially not to red.

This is a valid argument in a fictional world how? Peole dont naturally turn into frogs... frogs dont naturally talk nor do they naturally grow to 4 times the size of a human

Dombattag

• Earthbound (+15)
  • I'm new, So what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2008, 04:11:04 pm »
Maybe Magus was near/far sighted and he need contacts!  :D

Peaceman

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2008, 06:01:39 pm »
I always thought that Magus' transformation was due to overexposure, not to Dark magic, but to Mystics. 

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2008, 06:22:19 pm »
Were his eyes red in the origianal TORIYAMA art? I can never tell cause the pics are so tiny...

But anyways...changing physical appearance is something that can be done as evidence from the Mystics themselves that Magus hung around with...So I don't see why Magus wouldn't do the same to fit in (he WAS using them after all) or as an intimidation factor...maybe just so that he didn't remind himself of his former life when he sees himself in a mirror or something...

OverlordMikey

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • There are no maps.You can't map a sense of humor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2008, 04:50:29 pm »
The only problem is that eye colors don't naturally change. Especially not to red.

This is a valid argument in a fictional world how? Peole dont naturally turn into frogs... frogs dont naturally talk nor do they naturally grow to 4 times the size of a human

Plus that isn't always true! Eyes can change naturally.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_color (wikipedia isn't always the best source of info but I have noticed this to)

Eye color change
Often, paler newborns have blue eyes, which change to green, hazel, light brown or dark brown. This is possibly the origin of the idiom "being blue-eyed" (i.e. naïve; gullible).

It is thought that exposure to light after birth triggers the production of melanin in the iris of the eye. By three years of age, the eyes produce and store enough melanin to indicate their natural shade. While changes in eye color of infants are more common, even in adults, eye color changes are seen, most often as a result of exposure to the sun. Sunlight triggers melanin production in the eye, as it does to the skin.

Eyedrops containing a prostaglandin analogue (such as latanoprost) may result in a permanently darkened iris; these eyedrops are commonly used to treat open-angle glaucoma.[49]

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2008, 05:06:32 pm »
No offense but these theories are just bullshit... The designers picked the eye colors because it fit them, not because there's  some secret meaning behind it... Magus has red eyes because he's an evil bastard (yes he is, he killed dozens of people and cursed Glenn terribly), Schala has green eyes because it suits her, and it's the same case with everything else.

Eye colors changing is especially a Toriyama thing, he used it a lot. But there are also a number of other series who use it when a person transforms or changes.

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2008, 06:50:57 pm »
No offense but these theories are just bullshit... The designers picked the eye colors because it fit them, not because there's  some secret meaning behind it... Magus has red eyes because he's an evil bastard (yes he is, he killed dozens of people and cursed Glenn terribly), Schala has green eyes because it suits her, and it's the same case with everything else.

Eye colors changing is especially a Toriyama thing, he used it a lot. But there are also a number of other series who use it when a person transforms or changes.
A little harshly put (Bad Dark Serge...:lol:), but, yes, eye color, hair style, and clothing are often used to set up a 'theme' on a given fictional character; that's just common sense... :wink: I mean you don't make a fuzzy bunny a savage barbarian, do you? Unless you're Monty Python that is!  :P

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2008, 07:19:00 pm »
Quote from: Magus
cursed Glenn terribly

They were out to KILL Magus. Magus just wanted revenge on Lavos. Who's the real evil? Save Guardia or save the world? Magus clearly could have just killed Glenn. He got off light. 'All's fair in love & war' as they say...

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2008, 07:44:48 pm »
I think it's interesting to note that, although they mention Magil having pretty blue eyes in one RD scenario, the conceptual sketches for his appearance in CC has pointed ears. This leads me to believe that the Mystic "disguise" is permanent.

As for how he got that way, don't they mention something about Ozzie "grooming" Magus into a kick-ass leader? They've got disguise magic down, maybe they did an uber-powerful spell to get him all perma-weirdo.

Or maybe Magus got wanged in the eyes as a kid and got that acquired eye-color change from blood stains.