Author Topic: Mystic Eyes in Chrono Trigger  (Read 6426 times)

Magus068

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Speak the truth, even it leads to your death!
    • View Profile
Mystic Eyes in Chrono Trigger
« on: October 31, 2006, 11:10:50 am »
"The eyes are the windows of the soul - Children of the corn"

I've been researching about Magus' eye color why it changes from green to red & I came up with a conclusion.  It seems that eye color  have a connection to how strong the person's spiritual or magical potential.  Commonly the eye color that have red, blue, gold & silver has strong spiritual or magical potential. Take DBZ for instance, when Goku changes to Super Saiyan its eye color changes from black to blue or gold(when he turns to Super Saiyan 4). Another fine example is Lunar Legend Tsukihime, its eye color signify demonic or anti-demonic powers. Another example is Naruto, Hyuga clan's eye color is gray(Byakugan) & Uchiya clan is red(Magenkyo eye).  My observation in Chrono Trigger's Mystic eye color are blue, green & red... Magus' eye change from green to red probably because of his realization from his full magical potential.  Its likely that anyone who has this color has a spiritual or magical potential.

Although my observation is circumstancial but in most cases, anyone who has those eye color has certain advantages compare to normal people.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Re: Mystic Eyes in Chrono Trigger
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 03:43:51 pm »
All those examples you list are from sources that aren't related to the Chrono series. It's an interesting idea, but for it to have weight, you'd need to support it with evidence from the Chrono series.

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 07:41:39 pm »
The simplier answer is that it's to make him look eviller.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 01:07:26 am »
It's just a great effect. In cultures, they say that your power comes from the eyes, or that you can look into the soul. If you see the aura, that's the aura of your soul. It's just an example. I mean, in a lot of animes and such where the character is spiritually connected, when they draw power, their eye color does change (especially in Bleach, Hellsing, FMA)

That or it looks must more intimidating.

Magus068

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 02:28:28 am »
Technically I don't have solid evidence however Crono & co.(except for Ayla & Robo) & even the Zeal royal family have strong magical potential but they share one common characteristic & that's the mystic eyes.  Take Marle & Lucca for example, Marle has green eyes while Lucca has blue.  Before they reach level 99 their magic power reach to maximum likewise Magus who max out his magic power before level 99.  As for the Zeal royal family, they have green eyes & they're already known for their strong magical potential.  Magus' eye color changes as he transcended to a higher level of magical power.  For now, this my only observation.  Take it to heart that my observation can or cannot be considered as evidence.

Mystic Frog King

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • It's a secret to everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 06:53:50 pm »
All those examples you list are from sources that aren't related to the Chrono series. It's an interesting idea, but for it to have weight, you'd need to support it with evidence from the Chrono series.

Goku was designed by the character designer for Chrono Trigger, Akira Toriyama. So, there is a related example.

I, personally think it's a lovely coincidence but probably not intended. Thumbs up for noticing it however.

Jessica Ingmann

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Lv. 23 Writer
    • View Profile
    • Music of the Game II: Café De La Luna
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 02:43:21 pm »
That's kind'a interesting...except that Goku's and other Saiya-jin's eyes turn green...not blue...when they go Super Saiya-jin.  Emerald-green.  Also, Saiya-jin power isn't "magic" as we usually define magicks, though Mana and Ki are essentially th' same, I s'pose...  Still...

Please try your call again later.  :x

mattbollenbach

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • matt bollenbach music
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 04:44:58 am »
DBZ should never be brought up anywhere.

Ever.

Mystic Frog King

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 09:25:39 am »
You forgot to put IMO. DBZ is a popular and respected anime even if not to your (and my) tastes.

That's kind'a interesting...except that Goku's and other Saiya-jin's eyes turn green...not blue...when they go Super Saiya-jin.  Emerald-green.  Also, Saiya-jin power isn't "magic" as we usually define magicks, though Mana and Ki are essentially th' same, I s'pose...  Still...

Please try your call again later.  :x

It certainly shows a trend involving change pf eye colour, however.

Jessica Ingmann

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Lv. 23 Writer
    • View Profile
    • Music of the Game II: Café De La Luna
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 02:19:43 pm »
DBZ should never be brought up anywhere.

Ever.
To each their own, I s'pose...  *puts something in her signature just ta spite 'im*  <3(*not really, but it sure works out like that, doesn't it?*)

Anyway, I'm not sure I can really think of any other examples of eye colors changin' that dun involve naughty stuffs or Dragon Ball Z, bu' yer more than welcome ta find and/or make s'more evidence that proves eye-color corrisponds ta magical prowess, babe.  I'm not hones'ly sayin' it dun, but I ain' sayin' it does, either.  I mean, let's look at some examples...

Ayla - Green eyes, no magic.
Crono - Green eyes, Sky magic.
Glenn - Golden/Blue* eyes, Water magic.
Lucca - Sky blue eyes, Fire magic.
Maou - Dull green, then blood red eyes, all magics(with Shadow affinity).
Marle - Green eyes, Water magic.(Ice sub-magic.)

Dalton - Black(...?) eye, Void and Copy magic.
Gran and Leon - Green-blue eyes, Sky magic.
Mayonnaise - Pink-grey eyes, Void magic.
Vinegar - Golden eyes, all magics.
Queen Zeal - Grey-green eyes, all magics.
Sara - Soft green eyes, unknown magic.(Assumed "all magics".)

Far as I can see, there's absolutely no constant in eyes or elements.  It's all jus' kind'a random...  Well, 'cept wid maybe th' Zeal family.  They all seem ta have green eyes.  Bu' still!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 03:21:26 pm by Jessica Ingmann »

Mystic Frog King

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 03:01:03 pm »
Wow. Listing the eye colours must have taken a loooong time. Thanks for that. Maybe it only applies to certain characters? Or no, maybe it only applies to transforming characters?

And about the sig: ZOMG. The frog can be me. It's a PERFECT analogy. Possibly.

mattbollenbach

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • matt bollenbach music
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 01:59:07 am »
To each their own, I s'pose...  *puts something in her signature just ta spite 'im*  <3(*not really, but it sure works out like that, doesn't it?*)

Your sig made me lol.

=)

Magus068

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 05:03:28 am »
Far as I can see, there's absolutely no constant in eyes or elements.  It's all jus' kind'a random...  Well, 'cept wid maybe th' Zeal family.  They all seem ta have green eyes.  Bu' still!

There's a truth in what you said... But what I post earlier is that they have either physical or magical advantage compare to normal people.  Furthermore,  It becomes increasingly common in both anime & games that colored eyes is stronger than other characters.

L

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 01:04:21 am »
Well, Magus' eyes might have naturally changed colour over the years, the same way Schala's hair turned blonde.  He's the only one who we see at different ages, and in Schala's case, she could have spent a long time in the DBT (if that makes sense), or her exposure to Lavos could have sped up the process.  This doesn't explain why Queen Zeal still has green eyes and blue hair though...

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2007, 10:35:08 am »
The only problem is that eye colors don't naturally change. Especially not to red.