Author Topic: Lavos Did Not Control Evolution  (Read 3094 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Lavos Did Not Control Evolution
« on: October 27, 2006, 06:59:50 pm »
After review of the scripts and elucidation of a mistranslation in Chrono Trigger, it has become apparent that Lavos did not control all evolution as Magus once asserted. The only recorded instance of Lavos exerting genetic influence is the transfer of magic to human beings after contact with the Frozen Flame. Chrono Cross reinforces this by a Chronopolis discourse which speaks at length on natural evolution and contrasts it directly with human beings, who are considered "foreign matter." I've corrected the Lavos entry, the Lavos DNA entry, and the Time Devourer (Possibility of) entry.

Shinrin

• Chrono Trigger Threads of Time
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • Chrono Trigger Fan # 100
    • View Profile
    • Shinrin Cole
Re: Lavos Did Not Control Evolution
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 01:37:16 am »
Woolsey sucks again apparently.

Corey Taylor

• Guardian (+100)
  • # 8 Corey Taylor SlipKnoT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 02:00:01 am »
Would you consider that a big mistake? It just makes the game more interesting... I think. But then It doesn't make sense in the rest of the story.

1stoftheLast

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 02:48:07 am »
So Lavos didn't control all of evolution but did control human evolution?  Sorry to ask but the details are a little sketch to me still.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 03:40:07 am »
So Lavos didn't control all of evolution but did control human evolution?  Sorry to ask but the details are a little sketch to me still.

Lavos did not deliberately interfere in the evolution of any lifeform on earth. Contact with the the Frozen Flame, presumably accidentally, did effect human evolution.

Daid

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 04:07:28 am »
Woolsey sucks again apparently.

Damn you Woolsey!

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 08:57:36 am »
Gotta love that Woolsey for making things that little bit more complicated again.

Mystik3eb

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 02:23:23 pm »
Jesus Christ people, stop bashing Woolsey. He was a one-man translator and suffered from the stress of a deadline, censorship rules AND cart-space limitations. Leave the guy alone.

Besides, this is a mistake that's easy to make. It makes more sense than Janus being a step-brother. And it's not like Chronopolis suddenly revealed to us all the shocking truth anyway, it took previous knowledge and interpretation, so he really wasn't that far off.

knuck

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 12:25:35 am »
So I was right.
I mean, it was obvious. Why would Magus know anything about an alien lifeform? Just because he lived in Zeal? Nah, not even the Queen knew such things. =P

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 04:05:46 am »
Jesus Christ people, stop bashing Woolsey. He was a one-man translator and suffered from the stress of a deadline, censorship rules AND cart-space limitations. Leave the guy alone.

Besides, this is a mistake that's easy to make. It makes more sense than Janus being a step-brother. And it's not like Chronopolis suddenly revealed to us all the shocking truth anyway, it took previous knowledge and interpretation, so he really wasn't that far off.

No kidding. I'll go for Woosley any day. Actually, from the bits and pieces I've heard, he improved things, so good for him. I mean, if we were to find the original Hamlet play - there were many versions made - whose would we want... the original, or Shakespeare's? Just because something was 'original', doesn't automatically make it better. And aftercomer can improve things over an original artist.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 06:35:34 am »

No kidding. I'll go for Woosley any day. Actually, from the bits and pieces I've heard, he improved things, so good for him. I mean, if we were to find the original Hamlet play - there were many versions made - whose would we want... the original, or Shakespeare's? Just because something was 'original', doesn't automatically make it better. And aftercomer can improve things over an original artist.

True, but he can also make things worse. Romeo and Juliet was better with a lion. It isn't cut and dry, Woosley is good or bad. He made some mistakes, and he made some improvements. That's why the Compendium is doing a retranslation. For further appreciation of Chrono Trigger, not bashing Woosley.

gatotsu911

• Guardian (+100)
  • Where Angels Lose Their Way...
    • View Profile
    • TAFKA (my blog)
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 01:21:56 am »
It always made perfect sense to me that Lavos domineered human evolution - not directly, and not overbearingly, but subtly, indeed. Looking at the translation differences, I think it's really a matter of interpretation. The origninal dialogue seems to be more ambiguous, but certainly not denying the possibility of Lavos as a subtly driving force in human evolution. In my opinion, Lavos did something more akin to "overseeing" human evolution than "controlling" it. It did not interfere directly, but subtly guided the path of humankind. On two known occasions - the Frozen Flame incident, and the fall of Zeal - Lavos directly interfered with the path of human evolution. This idea makes perfect sense to me, and made even MORE sense after playing through Chrono Cross. I personally think an under-investigated view of Lavos is the flood of parallels that exist between Lavos and the Biblical notion of God. Without going into detail at the moment, it seems clear to me, particularly after the ending of Chrono Cross, that Lavos plays some greater role unto humanity than has fully been explained at this time. Schala's reference to Lavos as a "cosmic sperm" opens up numerous possible Lavos/God parallels, and then some. I believe there is a strong philosophical element to the identity of Lavos, and a relationship with humankind that goes far deeper than has been overtly indicated so far. If there ever is a third Chrono game (which I pray to God - er, Lavos - there will be) I expect to see the relationship between humans, the Planet, and Lavos further elaborated. Lavos's "motives" - if they can be called that - border between the Darwinian and the divine. I believe its granting of magic to humans, its watchful surveillance of their development, and its ultimate unleashing of the Apocalypse all indicate a far deeper symbolic meaning, and role, than meets the eye.