Author Topic: The Bend of Time  (Read 3832 times)

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
The Bend of Time
« on: June 19, 2004, 07:39:18 pm »
Alright, I'm gathering data for my "Beyond Time" (Working title) article, covering places outside the normal scope of time (such as the End of Time), or which don't behave by the same rules across time periods (such as the Black Omen). The only place not covered in other threads is the Bend of Time, so I'm starting this thread for any theories on its nature, creation, purpose, etc. Post any and all theories and questions here.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
The Bend of Time
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2004, 07:41:48 pm »
I always wonder why and how Ozzie, Flea, & Slash are there...I mean, why is there that seperate room for them? What does it call them again? Doesn't it give them some special name or something? Like the super fighters (I'm working on vague remembrences)?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
The Bend of Time
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2004, 08:05:06 pm »
CT/RD/CC/CB thread - Zeality and Ybrik believe it is a sort of decommissioned End of Time, left after Gaspar departed. Spekkio seems to still be present, evident in the message about the God of War, and the architecture is mostly the same; the octopus guy seems to be a simple keeper. The Bend of Time allows one to access places that do not exist and are not Entity-defined eras, however, leading me to believe it is simply a game device without explanation.

Beever

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
The Bend of Time
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2004, 09:54:34 pm »
I think the trio's appearance in CC is just an easter egg and a bit of a homage to CT, and nothing more.  There's no evidence in either game to suggest Ozzie, Flea, and Slash were caught up in the flow of time somehow.

As for the Bend of Time itself, I always thought it was part of CT's End of Time, since they both look very similar.

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
The Bend of Time
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2004, 10:18:18 pm »
Quote from: ZeaLitY
The Bend of Time allows one to access places that do not exist and are not Entity-defined eras, however, leading me to believe it is simply a game device without explanation.

"...simply a game device without explanation."? Putting aside the fact that I agree, that kind of goes against the spirit of this site. Shame on you, my almighty overlord.

I personally would explain it as the dimensional equivalent of The End of Time. Where TEoT is the point of least resistance on the timeline, TBoT is the point of least resistance between different dimensions. It has certain parallels to TEoT: You can access it from either dimension (although you can't travel to the other), it has portals to different places (rather than different times), not to mention the similar architecture.

The portals might be connected to the memories of the travelers, allowing them to relive (in a sense) past conflicts. Ozzie, Slash, and Flea, on the other hand, wouldn't have a portal as they hadn't previously been encountered. "Why them?" is extremely hard to answer in game terms. Possibly the octopus (or Gaspar, or whoever) has some manner of control there and brought them there on a whim.

Faulce

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
The Bend of Time
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2004, 11:08:35 pm »
yea it makes sense that it is the CC equivalent to the CT EoT.  I just wish you could fight Spekkio behind that door, or Lavos Core, not those three haha.

chronotriggerfreak

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • http://ctf.sytes.net/
The Bend of Time
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2004, 01:00:29 am »

YbrikMetaknight

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • I strike fast and disappear for years at a time.
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Compendium
The Bend of Time
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2004, 05:18:04 am »
Hmmm......my first article for the Compendium was on the Time Crash, the End of Time and the Bend of Time.  As my first work, it wasn't my best, and isn't available on the current site.  Mayhap I should post excerpts of the article so as to help you out?  All the support in that article was taken from the CT/RD/CC/CB thread Zeality mentioned, a thread from OCR, which I believe Zeality has archived (I'm pretty sure I have it archived too).

I always wanted to incorporate that article into a larger one similar to the one you're working on, if I read into your description correctly, Leebot.  Might I suggest a collaboration?

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
The Bend of Time
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2004, 05:45:58 am »
I too am a little tired of "It's just a game mechanic" answers...That's usually NOT an answer for one...And for another, it's such a "Duh-Er" response that it's almost belittling if it weren't so stupid...Yes, it's a game mechanic, everything in the game can be called a damn game mechanic if that's all you want from it, people don't want/don't consider "game mechanic" answers.

Quote from: Leebot
The portals might be connected to the memories of the travelers, allowing them to relive (in a sense) past conflicts. Ozzie, Slash, and Flea, on the other hand, wouldn't have a portal as they hadn't previously been encountered. "Why them?" is extremely hard to answer in game terms. Possibly the octopus (or Gaspar, or whoever) has some manner of control there and brought them there on a whim.

I wouldn't say memories of past conflicts, as you don't really have to battle anybody but, what? Bosses? And you get to fight monsters you may have not faught previously in the BoT. What's all the dialogue that occurs when Ozzie, Flea, & Slash are summoned anyways?

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
The Bend of Time
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2004, 12:16:11 pm »
Quote from: YbrikMetaknight
I always wanted to incorporate that article into a larger one similar to the one you're working on, if I read into your description correctly, Leebot.  Might I suggest a collaboration?

A collaboration would be fine. I'll post what I have on the WIP board (hopefully sometime today), and you can add in what you've got. This is my first article, too, so any help would be greatly appreciated. If you've got time, check out my Time-Error theory (available at http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=206), as it's crucial to how time flows at the End of Time; I want to be sure there are no holes is it and it's accepted at this site.

Swordmaster

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
The Bend of Time
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2004, 11:45:43 pm »
I do have question about the End of Time and the Bend of Time.
How could these two dimensios that look like empty as the Space could suport life (air to breath) like Gaspar, Spekkio and others?

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
The Bend of Time
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2004, 06:02:30 am »
Uhm, but they aren't as empty as space...There's stuff there, and since the party never complains about being short-of-breath, I assume there is oxygen there (or some kind of Chrono-world varient?).

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
The Bend of Time
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2004, 09:15:58 pm »
From a quasi-philosophical standpoint, one can look at them as more of "states of existence" than physical places. As such, only the spirit would truly exist there. The body, air, and structure are all created to provide a metaphorical structure to this space to provide travelers an image they could comprehend (like how the Q Continuum is shown in Star Trek: Voyager).

Epsilon

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
The Bend of Time
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2004, 09:47:42 pm »
The problem with that is (going by the idea that the minds of characters "create" the EoT/BoT using things they're familiar with..) is that there is no other area in CT that looks like the EoT (I havent replayed CC inawhile, so I'm not sure abot that...), so how could it be made out of things they are familiar with?

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
The Bend of Time
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2004, 09:56:06 pm »
If we accept my theory as true, we can take it a bit further. We don't know that all characters see the same thing, or even that we see the same thing as the characters. If not, the End of Time would be a representation that is supposed to evoke a certain image for the players (I get the impression of a 50's (or so) metropolis at night, evoking a sense of loneliness and isolation).

If all who are there see the same thing, then it's likely that Gaspar created that image. It's possible he saw something like that peering through a time-portal, or heard it described from some other traveler.

The only other place in either game that resembles the End of Time is (not surprisingly), the Bend of Time from CC.