Author Topic: Ozzie, Flea, and Slash  (Read 15223 times)

Corona!01

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Jack of All Trades
    • View Profile
    • Kagero Studios
Re: Ozzie, Flea, and Slash
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2007, 11:00:20 pm »
Oh, well, sonofabitch...Then someone should change his Compendium entry...V_V
Agreed beyond the boundary of words, Wikipedia has it wrong too. If you guys want the real details behind Flea's shapeshifting abilities, consider these into effect: Only certain Mystics have incredibly potent magic in the first place, as has been covered, but can ALL OF THEM USE THE EXACT SAME KINDS OF MAGIC? There might be certain elements/innates/whatever to their abilities such as there are with humans and Robo, whose weapons classify as Shadow damage. If anyone's heard ALL the information about Flea, he's classified as something called a Void Mage. If you factor in that he's clearly a high-lever magician, possibly with a rare innate, then it's obvious that there's a reason not many Mystics can shapeshift. There might be a similar spell that allows you to hold a form for so long, as Yakra and the Naga-ettes have proven, perhaps even an item that does it such as the notorious berry from earlier in the thread. Maybe that spell is a weaker or watered-down version available to those who aren't quite as powerful/experienced or something like that. (I write about a similar character, so I kinda have a strong grasp on Flea's workings)

Anyone think I'm hitting the target on this at all? If so, that ought to satisfy your need for knowing why Mr. Mayonae has the ability to look good in a skirt.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 11:04:40 pm by Corona!01 »

SirSabin

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2007, 01:47:42 am »
I, too, am a fan of the bumbling trio of mystics; Slash especially. It would be nice to hear some more of their history.

As to Flea, although all the evidence points to her being a him, I still prefer to think of him as a her.

And if I were to recreate the CT game, I would drop all of the innuendo about whether Flea is a male or female, and simply make 'her' a female mystic.

The only problem is that Slash, Flea, and Ozzie all seem to be the only individuals of their particular species that we see in the entire game. Maybe they're all actually just imps who, being mystics, managed to somehow grow into much more powerful versions of the regular imps. Anyone else have thoughts on their particular species?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2007, 01:58:06 am »
Here, here, SirSabin and Corona! I'm not the only "Flea = physically female" holdout after all. He's just like Sprigg, er, something.

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2007, 02:14:48 am »
The only problem is that Slash, Flea, and Ozzie all seem to be the only individuals of their particular species that we see in the entire game. Maybe they're all actually just imps who, being mystics, managed to somehow grow into much more powerful versions of the regular imps. Anyone else have thoughts on their particular species?
Maybe they are imps, Imps could be like how we normally view vampires. Not blood sucking creatures of the night, but a vast difference in power between a new childe, and the legendary Antediluvians. Young imps are common and pathetic, yet the older or more pure an imp is the more powerful they become.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2007, 06:03:30 pm »
"Impish" was an adjective. But I'll change it anyway.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 29, 2008, 06:28:01 pm »
i read a cross-study of the demi-Humans of Trigger/Cross one time that explained all this...  i thought it was here on the site somewhere.  then again, i found it about three and a half or four years ago.  i printed it out and i think i still have it.  i'm gonna track it down.

deviant_ambition

• Guardian (+100)
  • "Reality is irrelevant; Perception is everything."
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2008, 07:10:37 am »

Quote from: Flea
"Male, female, what's the difference?  Power is beautiful and I have the power!"

My guess is that subconsciously, as Flea gained power, he also bent the gender-roles.

The Flea Vest (jap. Mayonnaise's Bra), as stated http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Flea_Vest.html, makes him look feminine.

GuruOfGaming

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2009, 05:35:20 am »
First i know old toipc is old but it's a topis i like and one that dosent have a mess of pages to nagigate through, though in hte end if its prefer able to make a new topic i will appoligize and do so
ANYWAY!

The Flea Vest (jap. Mayonnaise's Bra), as stated http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Flea_Vest.html, makes him look feminine.

thats sort of broad isnt it? i mean in person im obviously a male, no real two ways about it. BUT, if i happen to be decked out in lipstick mascara and a frilly pink skirt, one could say I look feminine, so anyone wearing a bustier styled vest could make them look feminine.

Colin

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2009, 12:37:14 pm »
Oh, well, sonofabitch...Then someone should change his Compendium entry...V_V
Agreed beyond the boundary of words, Wikipedia has it wrong too. If you guys want the real details behind Flea's shapeshifting abilities, consider these into effect: Only certain Mystics have incredibly potent magic in the first place, as has been covered, but can ALL OF THEM USE THE EXACT SAME KINDS OF MAGIC? There might be certain elements/innates/whatever to their abilities such as there are with humans and Robo, whose weapons classify as Shadow damage. If anyone's heard ALL the information about Flea, he's classified as something called a Void Mage. If you factor in that he's clearly a high-lever magician, possibly with a rare innate, then it's obvious that there's a reason not many Mystics can shapeshift. There might be a similar spell that allows you to hold a form for so long, as Yakra and the Naga-ettes have proven, perhaps even an item that does it such as the notorious berry from earlier in the thread. Maybe that spell is a weaker or watered-down version available to those who aren't quite as powerful/experienced or something like that. (I write about a similar character, so I kinda have a strong grasp on Flea's workings)

Anyone think I'm hitting the target on this at all? If so, that ought to satisfy your need for knowing why Mr. Mayonae has the ability to look good in a skirt.

I agree totally with this statement, like humans and such, we all are different and maybe some mystics have abilities others do not, hence why Flea is a high ranking officer in their army and not a lowly grunt guarding the cathedral.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2009, 01:23:52 am »
Humans can shapeshift too in this chronoverse. Remember Magus and Frog. Frog was against his will but Magus definitely looked less vampirish as a child, and I highly doubt that a more powerful magician than Flea would use "artificial" or "superficial" products to change himself. I think it's just a really complicated permanent spell, and Yakra and the Nagaettes used the easier, temporary version.

As for Ozzie and Slash, we know Ozzie stuck around, as his descendant is the Mayor of Medina in 1000, and Slash's lips look an awful lot like the Mutant's lips from 2300. I'm not making a serious connection there, but there is very loose evidence that they live after Crono&co.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2009, 04:11:47 am »
Something interesting that utunnels just found and shared with a hidden fan project in development, and I figured I'd toss it out here to see how everyone interprets it:

Quote from: utunnels
It seems "Void Mage(空魔土)" was translated as Sky Djinn in Chrono Cross:
空魔士のリング/Sky Djinn Ring

The character 空 has several meanings, one of them is "empty", another is "sky".

Whimsical translation of "Void Mage" from Japanese to English? Or does this suggest that Flea is a gender-bending genie, and he in fact popped out of that oil lamp he's always wearing? What's everyone's thoughts on this translation curiosity?

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2009, 04:24:14 am »
Interesting... But is Djinn a direct translation, or is it a case of Richard Honeywood using a different term in English than what was in the original version? (Though I guess in the latter case the oil lamp would be quite a huge coincidence...)

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2009, 04:59:36 am »
Djinn...I never heard about such a word until I saw it in CC.
A direct translation should be Mage/Magician, like the CT retranslation.

Alcyone

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • nyoro~n
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2009, 05:02:42 am »
I looked up the kanji in an online dictionary.

空 - sky, air, empty, vacancy, vanity, space, void
魔 - demon, devil, evil spirit, mystic power
土 - soil, earth, clay, ground, mud

It sounds like it could probably be translated either way.

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2009, 05:13:55 am »
 (man/person) isn't equal to (soil)
Although they looks alike. :?

魔士 is short for 魔導士, Mage/Magician.