Author Topic: Unlockable exits on the overworld  (Read 513 times)

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Unlockable exits on the overworld
« on: September 30, 2006, 02:21:59 pm »
In the demo, it disturbed a lot of players that the Dalton's dungeon entrance was hidden behind a mountain. We put it there because we didn't want them to find it before having met Sargon and the Elder, right? The better solution would have been to put the exit in front of the mountain, and to have it accessible only after some storyline flag is activated. Unfortunately, we didn't know how to do this since it requires complicated overworld event modification. Well, now I can say that...

...We still don't know how to do it :lol:

But I've found another solution: we can "parasitize" the Black Omen code in the overworld events to activate or deactivate the Dungeon exit. Overworld exits are at Mem 7E7E00. We can insert a BitMath command anywhere in the Black Omen code to set or reset this mem (=to activate or deactivate the exit). Basically, the trick works like this:

If the Black Omen is loaded = Dalton's Dungeon entrance is deactivated.
If the Black Omen isn't loaded = Dalton's Dungeon entrance is available normally.

At the beginning of the Chapter 1, I set Mem 7F01F7 ("Black Omen has appeared") so that the Black Omen is loaded on the map. This make the entrance not available. This also means that the Black Omen will hover in the sky, but it's not a problem, since it's out of sight and Magus doesn't have access to the Epoch!

After talking to Dalton in the Beast Forest, I reset Mem 7F01F7 in the location code. This means that the overworld map code will not load the Black Omen anymore, and thus the Dungeon entrance will not be deactivated: Magus will be able to enter it normally.

It is even possible to add a SetTile command after the BitMath 7E7E00 to make a "cave entrance" tile appear on the mountain!

Well I'm not sure I explained this very clearly, but the important thing is that all this works. Now if it works once it'll work twice, won't it? I'm thinking about applying the trick to the Dorino Plains (using the Sunken Desert code).

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Unlockable exits on the overworld
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 02:49:39 pm »
Sounds like it's great. I'm pumped.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 01:00:14 pm »
Even if it doesn't work I'm pretty sure I have a flag that stops Magus from wondering around the Zeal dungeon.....he says something "Zeal ruins....i dont want to go in here"

--jp

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 01:04:04 pm »
That "Zeal ruins....i dont want to go in here" doesn't work properly, last time I checked. It doesn't stop you from walking around while the message is still up on the screen.

Edit-Whoops, it was fixed in a patch before I first posted this message.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 10:33:39 pm by Vehek »

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 03:46:54 pm »
The trick works perfectly in any case. I've applied it to the Porre Camp too :) . The party doesn't travel directly to it after the small Chancellor cutscene now, they find it on the overworld instead.