Poll

The retranslated script is on the way, but how badly do you want a playable game?

Got to have it. After all, we have to put out the authoritative Chrono Trigger.
27 (45.8%)
It's pretty important; I'd probably give it a playthrough.
22 (37.3%)
I'm indifferent, I guess.
7 (11.9%)
Nah, it's not totally needed, considering we'll have a differences article and annotated script.
3 (5.1%)
Other; I'll post my beliefs on the subject.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: 2006-10-04 Chrono Trigger Retranslation  (Read 6876 times)

Mystik3eb

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
Re: 2006-10-04 Chrono Trigger Retranslation
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2006, 07:36:01 pm »
Been thinking about this, and thinking about other fan translations I've seen, and it got me worrying.

I just hope the translation won't contain "-sama"s and the like. They have no meaning in English, they should be omitted. And I can understand a retranslation of some of the names that were localized, like Ozzie Flea and Slash, to what they actually translate to, but hopefully Frog won't be changed to Kaeru or Kero or whatever...that'd be retarded. I don't consider translating symbols to text and not actually TRANSLATING the meaning of the word to English a translation.

My point is, I hope that this translation isn't giving us Japanese in English, but instead being an improved localized translation.

Course then again...it doesn't matter a WHOLE lot if a ROM patch isn't created, but if one IS...please make it NOT Japanese. That's just silly.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2006, 07:42:22 pm »
The player character names are remaining the same, but everything else is changed, and honorific titles are left intact. We're trying to approximate the original Chrono Trigger as best we can to make a perfect comparison and gain a total understanding of the original. The result can be edited ad infinitum for actual presentation, though I'd like to have the unedited retranslation released first.

Mystik3eb

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2006, 10:40:59 pm »
Ok, I understand the desire to keep everything intact, including honorifics...but would it be too big a deal to make them appropriately English? Sir, and Ma'am? Or Boss? Your Highness? Pimp master? I dunno, I guess it's really not that important in an intial presentation, but that's always kinda bugged me. I don't really have any problems with anything you're doing about this translation though.

I salute you!

Er...also...any idea for an ETC? ^_^

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2006, 02:27:41 am »
Having the retranslated script will be a boon to the Compendium. Having a translation patch for the rom would make the retranslation much more accessable to people who don't have the patience to read through the script in the side-by-side script format. For what it's worth, I'd play the retranslated version.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2006, 09:16:34 am »
Now that I think about it, playing through the game without Frog's annoying Shakesperian (is that even a word? It is now) talk would be great indeed.

Also, I assumed attack names like Inner Lavos' 'Span Death' were mistranslations, too. Are they fixed in the retranslation project?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2006, 01:16:36 pm »
Everything is retranslated, right down to the 'You got a red mail!' Those lines usually come out the same, but what i'm saying is that every single line in the game is being checked.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2006, 01:39:19 pm »
Everything is retranslated, right down to the 'You got a red mail!' Those lines usually come out the same, but what i'm saying is that every single line in the game is being checked.

Awesome! :D A playable version would truly kick ass!

Lucca

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2006, 06:21:20 pm »
I'm really looking forward to the retranslation, and having it made into a game would be even better.  I've always been the type to prefer sub over dub, or in this case, original dialouge over how the game was translated to begin with when it was released in America. I would most definately play it! 

Jonathan

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2007, 03:02:21 pm »
So about this retranslation?

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2007, 02:11:16 am »
And I can understand a retranslation of some of the names that were localized, like Ozzie Flea and Slash, to what they actually translate to, but hopefully Frog won't be changed to Kaeru or Kero or whatever...that'd be retarded. I don't consider translating symbols to text and not actually TRANSLATING the meaning of the word to English a translation.

Yeah, but if you understand the meaning (and you should if you've been wanting a retranslation for as long as everyone else), why not? There's no word that would properly replace Kaeru in the English language...It's not the original game's developer's fault that our stupid language is so broken and we shouldn't have to pay for it either. The meaning of the words (not to mention some of the less obvious cultural differences) can always be explained in attached Help files, just like RPGOne had for the FFVI retranslation.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2007, 04:56:03 am »
I do now better respect having a more literal translation, after having seen some of the atrocities in Greek translation. Why, last term we were translating Aristophanes' 'The Frogs', so I became rather familiar with its style and wording. But when, in another class, we were shown excerpts in English, I couldn't believe my eyes - they were so incredibly different! It was changed so as to be 'funny' in modern English, but all sense (in my opinion) of the original was lost. I looked at a translation from the earlier half of the 20th century, and it was nearer literal... I saw no problem with this. Yet some modern translators seem to feel the need to mess unduly with things. This is one I didn't look at, but I bet they rendered the Greek phrase which literally is 'to the crows!' as 'go to hell'... now, don't you just like the feel of the literal one? 'To the crows'... it has an interesting feel to it.

Anyway, I'm not so averse to this now as I was before. Of course I still prefer Woosly, but I understand that's a bit of nostalgia, and even more linguistic and cultural prejudice, so it's indefensible.

Lavodox

• Guardian (+100)
  • Ignorance is to be whipped. -Franziska Von Karma
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2007, 10:17:55 am »
I honestly would love to see the retranslatin debut soon because I'm willing to play through it and see what kind of differences have been made.

Mlata

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2007, 10:06:31 pm »
Hi folks,
I'm from Europe (that's why my english is not 100%) and new to this forum and was shocked to read that a) there is such a "re-translation" project existing at all and b) great people - damit, I really admire you guys - have been able to actually complete it, no less! DAMN, if that's not awesome, what is?!
From what I've read so far it also seems to be a pretty profound re-translation!
DAMN! How much longer will it take to have a playable rom-version??? I mean, it's actually "there"!! If I were a good rom hacker/modifier, I'd do it myself right away! Unfortunately I can't!
Isn't there anybody out there with some awesome talent who'd be willing to spare some time for the FINAL CHAPTER in this freakin' awe-inspiring (damn, gotta use all superlatives I learned) CHRONO TRIGGER RE-TRANSLATION PROJECT?!!!
THAT'D be the NEXT BIG thing to the glorious Front Mission translation!!
DAMN, knowing that there's this finished, awesome script only waiting for a ROM to put into just kills me!

Greetings,

Mlata

Mlata

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2007, 10:09:38 pm »
damn... i used damn too often...

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2007, 12:01:32 am »
Not sure. It looks like things have stalled with both Shadow Usagi and Teh Mick, though that's more so the fault of Chronotools...