Author Topic: Compendium Short-Term Contest  (Read 3414 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Compendium Short-Term Contest
« on: September 08, 2006, 05:14:49 pm »
We all know what's looming on the horizon -- Crimson Echoes, Chrono Crisis, Chrono Trigger Retranslation, and things like that .They're enough to get your blood boiling, but they won't materialize for a few months (save possibly the retranslation, though I will have some editing work to do in arranging the lines according to their order in the game). I'm sick and tired of the new and improved finished -- and boring -- Compendium, so let us have some kind of fanfiction contest. The rules are simple. Write fanfiction taking place within the Chrono series universe and have it ready by October 20. Length is not a requirement, but don't submit flash fiction (at least pass the 1,000 word mark) unless you're writing poetry. It has to be new material and original content; I couldn't throw the Gaspar Chronicle in the hat, for instance. Entries will be judged tentatively by the Gurus (if they're even here), or barring that, a special committee I select. Entries will be graded on how well they best communicate the Chrono feel. Listen to Chrono Cross's The Dream that Time Dreams. Feel that warm, familiar burn of passion for the Chrono series? That's what we're shooting for. Write something that could stand right with the other games. In future contests, we might change it up with themes of science fiction, dark events, etc.

I'll be making a stickied thread in Kajar Laboratories (as if we don't have enough already) to track the progress. E-mail entries to chronocompendium@gmail.comSPAM (remove the SPAM, of course). I will write something, though I won't enter it in the contest. The winner gets a special forum status until the next fanfiction contest, at which point the winner of that one will get the title. What is it, you ask? I tried to come up with some literary Chrono thing, and the only writing buff that comes to mind is that poet girl of Arni. So you'll be the Poet of Arni. It might sound lame, but at least it's unique. Get writing! I at least want like three entries minimum. I know that's asking for a lot, but maybe you can pull through.

Chaosgriffin

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Re: Compendium Short-Term Contest
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 09:54:56 pm »
Ooh, count me in! :D I just have one question, if you write two fanfics can you submit both? :?

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 07:34:14 am »
I'll be entering for sure. This sounds like fun.  :D

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 03:00:52 pm »
How about a unique 20 question quiz in which 1 of the users here on the Compendium come up with to be submitted officially on the the site?

The Guru's and Zeality judge which quiz to be most adequate, easy, tough or just right . . . and is placed on the site as the official quiz of the Compendium for the Chronoverse.

Each quiz would have a number of times taken and best scores with IP addresses locked in to prevent cheating and double quiz entries.

What about something like that?

Lena Andreia

• Porrean (+50)
  • Radical Dreamer
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Ark Forums
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 05:59:08 pm »
 Ooooooo~

Fantabulous! I have an awesome idea for this. All that studying of CT and CC has me burning to write something in prowse anyway. (Crisis is all play-form so... Yeah.)

Also this gives me something to do at work rather than stare at the ceiling and pray for a black hole to appear and gobble me up.

(Runs off to start writing stuff)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 07:58:06 pm »
Each quiz would have a number of times taken and best scores with IP addresses locked in to prevent cheating and double quiz entries.

What about people using libraries for internet access, though? And anyways...Don't we already have a ton of pretty much every possible poll on the Compendium already?

Anyways, I've begun to write my short story and it's almost done and it's, for whatever reason, over at FFI...It's called Unknown Dimension: Soldier Days.

Mavix

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • I'm the pirate and I make any fool walk the Plank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 03:23:24 pm »
I'll do my best on writing ct & cc stories. so count me in. (Iv'e allready written th first and second chapter on my new story)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 08:54:56 pm »
Alright, I guess my entry is mostly done. I tried to 'capture the Chrono feel' by delving into several characters (a Guardian soldier, Magus, Flea, Slash, Ozzie, and then a Mystic soldier [either a Free Lancer or a Outlaw, I don't specify])...Originally, a lot of the Mystic soldier's dialogue was going to be stuff Magus was going to say, but then I realized that Magus totally wouldn't talk that much to just some random Mystic. I was also going to reference the Guardian legend of the "Hero" and possibly have Magus disregard it and say that the "Hero" would be nothing w/o the Masamune, but it seemed irrelevent and when I wrote the last line of Magus, I realized that that was where it had to end.

Unknown Dimension: Soldier Days

I guess I still have to submit it to that email though, right?

Celesti

• Z - Defunct - Guru of Guinness
  • Earthbound (+15)
  • Drowning In Cliches
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 11:41:13 pm »
This contest finally convinced me to join ze forums.

Question though, I have a great story in mind but it is a comedy.  So it doesn't exactly have a "The Dream that Time Dreams" feel so much as a "Delightful Spekkio" feel. Should I enter it in anyway? Or should I enter a more serious themed story and wait until ZeaLitY comes up with a comedy themed contest, (Which I highly suggest he does because there is a sore sore lack of comedic works in the fan fiction section)

Given that much of Chrono Trigger had a light humourous feel, should't we honor that with a bit of Chrono fan humour?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 01:24:13 am »
Sure. I have no idea how the entries will turn out, really. But as long as some original theme of hte Chrono series is magnified, it seems great. Good luck.