Author Topic: CT Melchoir question  (Read 5003 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
CT Melchoir question
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2004, 06:56:06 pm »
Well, considering I've been here since the beginning and am a human dictionary of Chrono series information and theories that hounds this site, asking me isn't that bad of an idea. I see the point though.

Epsilon

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
CT Melchoir question
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2004, 07:49:16 pm »
Hm, Lavos also left the ground(So does that means he leaves the pocket dimension?) in 1999 AD... I wonder how the 1999 Worlders reacted to seeing a giant lava demon come out of the ground, and then a bunch of unknown people appear to fight it? :P

1stoftheLast

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
CT Melchoir question
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2004, 07:56:05 pm »
Lavos didn't kill Magus in 600.  As far as I know there is no evidence to back this up in Chrono Trigger.  What is implied is that Magus dissapeared. If you believe Lavos did kill Magus consider this:  In the Crono timeline Magus is summoning Lavos when Frog, Crono and co. arrive.  They fight untill a giant portal arrives and sucks them all in.  Well, why would this be different in the normal timeline?  Why would the arrival of Crono and co change the arrival of Lavos into a portal?

It is my thoery that Magus in the original timeline is sent back to Zeal in a third(first being normal and second being Crono) timeline where he does the same things he does in the Crono timeline sans Crono and co.  In zeal either he awakends Lavos and is killed or he awakens Lavos, is diffeated and sent safely away with Schala.  

Hell, it could even be him that takes out Dalten in the Crono-less timeline

1stoftheLast

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
CT Melchoir question
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2004, 07:57:24 pm »
I meant by Schala, not with Schala.

Faulce

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
CT Melchoir question
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2004, 08:00:11 pm »
I thought i saw someone somewhere mention that just because people can see Lavos, doesnt mean he has left pocket dimension (or maybe I am getting my facts/theories mixed up) Besides, isn't that blue "aura" background supposed to be the pocket dimension or something. maybe i saw that mentioned somewhere as well, or perhaps i just dreamt it up.

I would be pretty freaked out if I was in that dome north of Lavos's awakening, heh I would go hide in my basement or something.

Epsilon

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
CT Melchoir question
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2004, 08:00:39 pm »
Hm.. what if Magus was to somehow suceed in this "Crono-less" timeline (The following assumes the Pocket Dimension theory is false) and because Lavos is missing 12,600 years of growth and evolution (Especially consdiering that there aer barely any species that survive the huge 65,000,000 - 12,000 Iceage, which would hurt it more, as it grows from evolution (At leas ttahts how I understood it) ) that allows Magus to destroy it before it causes Zeal's fall? Of course, Zeal would fall without Lavos, but it may have been less Catastrophic... (Zeal seems to have broken up as it fell, due to lasers), with more survivors, and a New Zeal civilization would likely have been able to last longer...

Of course, any "Crono-less" timeline would not exist due to the fact that Crono DOES go to 12,000 BC....

Symmetry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
CT Melchoir question
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2004, 09:56:33 pm »
Quote from: 1stoftheLast
Lavos didn't kill Magus in 600.  As far as I know there is no evidence to back this up in Chrono Trigger.  What is implied is that Magus dissapeared. If you believe Lavos did kill Magus consider this:  In the Crono timeline Magus is summoning Lavos when Frog, Crono and co. arrive.  They fight untill a giant portal arrives and sucks them all in.  Well, why would this be different in the normal timeline?  Why would the arrival of Crono and co change the arrival of Lavos into a portal?

I believe Magus states on the North Cape that Crono interrupted him as he was summoning Lavos. Magus was probably creating a gate to the pocket dimension in which Lavos resided. (Well, there are difficulties in Lavos being summoned TO Magus' castle - more likely, Magus was travelling to him)

Crono's interference might have destablized the gate somehow. The party had no control over where they were being ported to and neither did Magus.

No interference means a proper gate.

chronotriggerfreak

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • http://ctf.sytes.net/
CT Melchoir question
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2004, 10:41:18 pm »
Quote from: Epsilon
Hm.. what if Magus was to somehow suceed in this "Crono-less" timeline (The following assumes the Pocket Dimension theory is false) and because Lavos is missing 12,600 years of growth and evolution (Especially consdiering that there aer barely any species that survive the huge 65,000,000 - 12,000 Iceage, which would hurt it more, as it grows from evolution (At leas ttahts how I understood it) ) that allows Magus to destroy it before it causes Zeal's fall? Of course, Zeal would fall without Lavos, but it may have been less Catastrophic... (Zeal seems to have broken up as it fell, due to lasers), with more survivors, and a New Zeal civilization would likely have been able to last longer...

If I make sense of what you're saying, you're suggesting that (disregarding the Pocket Dimension Theory, which I think was a very rash action in itself) Magus could have travelled back from 600 A.D. to 12,000 B.C. and destroyed Lavos by himself simply because it's not as powerful in 12,000 B.C. Even without referring to possibilities, I can show you why this could not be (or at least why your proof isn't valid):

1) Lavos's Core advances in genetic complexity, intelligence and will by taking on the DNA of species on the planet, yes, but its power comes from the planet's core itself as it absorbs energy. I don't know about you, but I think the difference in energy that Lavos could have absorbed in 12,600 B.C. is not very significant considering it had already devoured energy for 64,988,000 years either way.

2) Zeal's fall would have been more catastrophic to have several large chunks of rock fall in a close area, therefore amplifying everything as one giant force, rather than the many small bits landing in a broader area with more counteractions to reduce the waves. If the bursts of energy from the Ocean Palace helped break up the rocks, it was a favor.

3) If Lavos was destroyed (or, as we assume normally in the game, withdrew from 12,000 B.C. indefinitely), the people would no longer have magic and there could be no new civilization similar to Zeal.

4) We already see Magus attempt to destroy Lavos in 12,000 B.C., even after others have already fought and presumably weakened it, and he fails miserably. Nothing would have changed except perhaps Magus's actual death had the others not been there with him.

Epsilon

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
CT Melchoir question
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2004, 11:02:09 pm »
Hm, we see Magus fail? When was that?

And intelligence and will are both very large factors in a battle. Yes, Lavos had an advantage in brute force, but there was far less DNA to be harvested from the ice age of 65,000,000 BC to (whenever the ice age ends), and the only intelligent creatures are humans, who Lavos is weakening himself by aiding (I imagine magic, even slightly wakens him, as did letting off some of his energy into the Flame). Yes, I'm being overly optimistic in saying that the Zealan Continent could fall all that distance and, yes, it would ause many waves, but some of it may still be above the ocean if it fell in one piece. And remember, the Zealans were intelligent. Though there would be a dark age, it would certainly not be as long as the one caused by it's catastrophic fall and the deaths of almost all of the more intelligent people.

Also, this just came to mind. The Zealans were in possesion of the Sun Stone, which does not use Lavos Energy, correct? This could be used to create a new civilization.

But of course, you do make a good point that Magus would have a very hard task in defeating Lavos, and that the Pocket Dimension theory should not be disregarded, considering the things in favor of it... a more likely scenario would be Crono + Party defeating Lavos at the Ocean Palace disaster (which can be done, but the timeline o Crono Cross seems to say that that is not how history went)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
CT Melchoir question
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2004, 01:37:29 am »
Hm, we see Magus fail? When was that?

Quote from: Ocean Palace
[Prophet]
   I've waited for this...

Magus: I've been waiting for you,
   Lavos.

Magus: I swore long ago... that I'd
   destroy you!
   No matter what the price!

It is time to fulfill that vow.
   Feel my wrath, Lavos!!

[Queen]
   What do you think you can do?

Also, this just came to mind. The Zealans were in possesion of the Sun Stone, which does not use Lavos Energy, correct? This could be used to create a new civilization.

It was implied by an old man that the energy of the Sun Stone was drained. He said "we no longer need the energy of this tired old planet," and judging from the fact that the Sun Stone is a Moon Stone in Zeal Palace (simply a storage facility for the stone from 12,000 B.C. to 2300 A.D.), we may assume it was completely void of energy before Zeal fell.