Author Topic: A Thing About Frog  (Read 3609 times)

Maelstrom

• Architect of Kajar
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
A Thing About Frog
« on: August 29, 2006, 07:00:22 pm »
"I hate that formal crap"
"a bunch of raging hicks"

I'm all for dropping Frog's overly archaic speech, but I wonder if the changes are going too far.  This is only my opinion, but I think a point we should not compromise is the fact that Frog of old was without an ego.  For example, we can change the first sentence to something more like this:

"Formalities are not necessary"

It's just an idea...

TheOutlaw

• Guardian (+100)
  • Run like it is Godzilla!
    • View Profile
Re: A Thing About Frog
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 11:58:24 pm »
Well that's what is currently in the beat, supposively the dialogue is different, but I haven't read through the dialogue thread yet.

frog seems to vasselate as well during the game(try picking the different scenarios in the medina sequence)and all he does when talking to magus is bicker,

i still think frog wouldn't use the word hicks though, maybe rogues or something of the sort, even though he doesn't speak with an archaic tongue, He still should use well grammared speech.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 02:13:17 am »
Perhaps those outbursts can be trimmed. But here's another JP example just to help with his identity:

Frog: Nothing's going anywhere if you don't have a guy
   who's good with a sword, right?

this is opposed to "Need a swordsman?"

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 12:52:33 pm »
We could go the Lestat route.  A lot of stuff in Chrono was designed to seem anachronistic; if anyone's ever read any of The Vampire Chronicles, especially The Vampire Lestat, they'll know what I'm talking about.  He's writing these scenes of legendary immortals tear-assing around the world in the 18th century from his new perspective, that of an '80s rock star from the era when MTV wasn't complete shit.  Sometimes he abruptly switches his style of speech or description.  I'd imagine when you live long enough, or perhaps when you live enough lives, you tend to do that.

TheOutlaw

• Guardian (+100)
  • Run like it is Godzilla!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 07:31:50 pm »
"Perhaps those outbursts can be trimmed. But here's another JP example just to help with his identity:

Frog: Nothing's going anywhere if you don't have a guy
   who's good with a sword, right?

this is opposed to "Need a swordsman?""-
Zeality

definately better than the old CT dialogue

But frog's lines do need to be looked over.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 10:51:50 pm »
Definately....Alot of his lines did NOT seem like him at all.  <--- Harsh

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 09:20:06 am »
To you, they do not. But once the Retranslation is available, the real Frog will be vastly superior to the thou-spitting Cyan hack.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 02:24:06 am »
I realize I've done this twice now, but here is another tidbit. This is how Frog turned down the offer to be Knight Captain:

Frog: Forget it, it's not my style.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 08:20:16 pm »
You know, I wasn't too fond of this at first, but I'm warming up to the idea of a rougher Frog. I suppose it comes with certain changes in my attitude to writing. I used to be all for old words, no contractions, and archaic speech - a la the old Frog - but have mellowed in recent months. I like the syntax of the 50s versey-prose translations of the Classics, and at times they can fall into very colloquial speech (ie. a play like Andromache.) Having seen that work so well, I've mainly thrown aside my presumptions. I still like more formal syntax, but don't have disdain for colloquial speech, so long as it's well written and workable in context. Colloquial can still be majestic, after all. Anyway, about this Frog here, I like the track you're own. You seem to have a clear idea of how you think he should be done, so I'm all for that.