Author Topic: Humanity: Good News, Bad News  (Read 111630 times)

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
Re: Humanity: Good News, Bad News
« Reply #990 on: April 29, 2011, 09:23:08 pm »
I wrote a much longer reply to this, then decided it was too long. The shorter version works out to:

1. No. History proves that "the market" cannot be trusted to regulate anything, including itself.

2. No--literacy and some other basic skills taught in schools are pretty much a necessity to function in society, and many kids won't learn them any other way. The problems with the current system could be greatly mitigated by adjusting the curriculum, letting students test out of classes by demonstrating mastery of the material (and holding back those who clearly don't have that mastery), and offering alternatives (primarily apprenticeship programs and early entry to postsecondary education) to adolescents. The problem isn't that education is compulsory, it's that it's presented in a one-size-fits-all manner. That just doesn't work.

3. This is two questions. The first requires some more specific explanation of what you mean by "experiments" before it can be answered. The second: assuming funds are properly divided within the system (meaning that, as much as possible, all schools provide similar facilities and levels of instruction), the kids should be the ones making the choice.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #991 on: April 30, 2011, 03:57:06 pm »
I too was about to boast something really detailed on flaws of our current education systems, despite their benefits (which isn't enough), but ran upon a quote which speaks everything out for me:

Quote from: Roger Lewin
Too often we give children answers to remember rather than problems to solve.

This quote kind of brings to mind the actual theme of the plot in the film 3 idiots. The theme basically was that any idiot can revise word-to-word answers, get a certificate and get a job, but when you develop sheer love for the subject you're learning without bothering about mere definitions, you develop ingenuity and imaginative capabilities to do the impossible, making success follow you and not the other way around. The protagonist never cared for the Degree of Engineering, and yet managed to be a great scientist. But the problem pointed out in the movie was that our system doesn't encourage ingenuity and "out of the box" thinking such as using one tool for an entirely different purpose, and merely focuses on repetitious, info pumping techniques that usually turn people into mindless machines rather than productive, satisfied workers.

I'm currently looking to satire the goods and bads about our current education system in my books for sheer comic relief if it can make the world a better place. Problem is, I can't focus on it entirely since this is after all my first book and I need to focus on forging ahead for the practice of writing. but here's another one:
Quote from: Bishop Mandel Creighton
The one real object of education is to have a man in the condition of continually asking questions.

Tactinius

• Earthbound (+15)
  • With lustful malice and fervent hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: April 30, 2011, 05:52:59 pm »
I look at things like this, and then this, and it's just... Really? Is the justice system fucking serious? It's disgusting.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: May 01, 2011, 04:58:56 pm »

An interesting analogy in relation to school choice

Update: Good news! I'm finally over my bout of food poisoning, and I have Powerade to thank.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 05:31:36 pm by GenesisOne »

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: May 02, 2011, 12:09:15 am »
Hmm, it is said Bin Laden has been killed?

Truthordeal

• Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #995 on: May 02, 2011, 01:34:40 am »
Ding Dong Osama's dead
Shot through the head
With burning hot lead.

Congrats to Obama and the US Military.

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: May 02, 2011, 03:59:33 am »
Good news Bin Laden is dead!

Bad news-Al qaeda might react badly

but still-

Bin Laden is dead!!!!!!
Ding Dong Osama's dead
Shot through the head
With burning hot lead.

Congrats to Obama and the US Military.

I do like that song :D

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #997 on: May 02, 2011, 05:16:32 am »
Hah, that is good news... for now. Looks like Islamic activists are not really happy. Man, WHEN will they learn tolerance? It's a good thing the Shea are separate from the Suni, so I've got my friends who follow life rationally (thank you, India/America/Europe, for your diversity).

On a darker side of the news, the Jihad is bigger than Laden. He was merely a messenger. And you know what they say: defeat the greatest evil in the world, and the universe bestows upon us an even stronger foe.

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: May 02, 2011, 04:34:15 pm »
Cautiously thrilled about it all.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: May 02, 2011, 04:48:48 pm »

On a darker side of the news, the Jihad is bigger than Laden. He was merely a messenger. And you know what they say: defeat the greatest evil in the world, and the universe bestows upon us an even stronger foe.

Very true. I mean, does it make sense that the Playboy Mansion (and consequently, Playboy magazine) be shut down after Hugh Hefner dies?

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1000 on: May 02, 2011, 05:02:13 pm »
Bad News: You know how much aid you guys are sending Pakistan? Well, it's not working!

There's something strange going on here, but knowing how much humanity sucks at Democracy, it's entirely possible Taliban or someone from the Pakistan government somehow brainwashed the masses into thinking that America is their greatest threat. Time to act subtle but effectively. If we need to secure a terror-less world, we really need Pakistan on our side, on the side of peace.

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: May 04, 2011, 04:31:10 pm »
Not sure what's to be done about Pakistan, but hopefully we learn that the "we can't throw money at it and make it better" approach is, well, limited. Especially when the government dumps that money into their military. I'm not honestly sure what approach would work given the cultural forces at play, though. Your perspective on this has been really intriguing and informative, tush.

I know many of you are The Choir here, but 5/3's Daily Show had some pretty hilarious and incisive things to say about this: http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-may-3-2011/5-3-11-in--60-seconds

Crono666

• Guardian (+100)
  • Queen Zeal is best Waifu
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #1002 on: May 05, 2011, 05:48:11 am »
Ding dong the witch is dead. :lol:

The bad news is that someone crazier will take over for him.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1003 on: May 07, 2011, 04:40:31 am »
Bad News: http://www.cracked.com/article_16239_5-psychological-experiments-that-prove-humanity-doomed.html

It's sad. No matter how much you respect how far humanity has gotten, we still have a long way to achieve absolute wisdom.

Here and now I take a pledge that no matter what position I find myself in I shall not discard my values. I shall not let any innocent within my sight suffer because of me.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 04:42:06 am by tushantin »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: May 07, 2011, 08:34:04 am »
It's unrealistic to assume that 100 percent of humans are going to be able to successfully integrate into civilization even with the best teachers, drugs, and therapies. The challenge facing an enlightened society, therefore, is to find a way to humanely keep these people under compassionate stewardship for the course of their lives. "Humanely" would require preserving their sense of dignity and opportunity for self-determination. I'm still working on the practicals. Tough nut to crack.