Author Topic: Humanity: Good News, Bad News  (Read 110678 times)

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Humanity: Good News, Bad News
« Reply #885 on: October 11, 2010, 07:45:44 am »
You haven't been playing Xenogears by any chance, have you...?
LMFAO I haven't played that game (yet).  :lol: That's a philosophical statement I heard somewhere 5 years ago, probably while studying eastern mythology. "The Bird with one wing", perhaps?

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #886 on: October 17, 2010, 08:22:15 pm »
Yeah...I'm going to break my hiatus for a bit to post this.

http://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=45427

...Yeah...that's just...a thing. I'm somewhat torn on being offended to laughing my ass off. one "sister" on there had a link to Jacking Off for Jesus. I about lost it.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #887 on: October 27, 2010, 06:15:20 am »
This shit still happens today. I'd like people to keep a note of this.
http://news.upickreviews.com/8-countries-where-human-organs-are-harvested#more-230

Is it worth saving one life by robbing two others?

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: October 27, 2010, 09:46:08 am »
organs have been taken without consent.
Hmm, they used that picture again -- guessed before I opened the link.
Well, instead of arguing whether the report is true or not (if there're something beyond the law, I've no idea to prove), I agree that it is hard to establish a proper law to prevent that problem -- unless it is completely banned in which case the trades go underground completely.
In 2007 China passed a law that banned trades of organs. Since it is hard to tell whether it is a 'trade' or 'donation', so the beneficiary must be 1. spouse of the provider or 2. direct lined relative 3. collateral lined relative within 3 generations.

tom Said,
October 25th, 2010 @2:24 pm 

The moderator for this post really should do something about these posts of people asking to sell there organs. I understand this is a very hard topic and situation. But this post has become a black market in the comments. Those that feel the need to have to sell your organs, I hope you know what your doing. And i honestly wish you all the best, if you are in a situation that you see you have to sell parts of your own body. Please take care and remember people are there to try and help, this should be a very last resort at best. I would urge those who really need help to exhaust more options, talk to some social workers or the local charity/organisation that can help your situation. Be careful, remember this is your own body. An illegal operation will not be of high standard. People DO die from it.

Also the Philippines should be added to that list, Very high up it. There was so much illegal trade in organs that in 2004 they even made it legal so as to control it better, but later they changed it back to illegal. Worth mentioning. There is a big documentary on it as well. Very enlightening.

Peace and Take care

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: November 10, 2010, 03:53:11 pm »
Yeah...I'm going to break my hiatus for a bit to post this.

http://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=45427

...Yeah...that's just...a thing. I'm somewhat torn on being offended to laughing my ass off. one "sister" on there had a link to Jacking Off for Jesus. I about lost it.

I can't figure out how people can be like this. This is mass hysteria. Utter delusion.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: November 11, 2010, 01:04:40 am »
That is... special. It is rather sad that I couldn't tell if it was satirical or not without investigating.

Tactinius

• Earthbound (+15)
  • With lustful malice and fervent hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: November 12, 2010, 09:52:51 pm »
Yeah, that site's satirical, lot of effort put into it considering. They have a dude who walks around at atheist conventions posing as one of their "priests" I read somewhere.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #892 on: November 13, 2010, 10:44:09 pm »
Good News: Aung San Suu Kyi released from house arrest!
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/nov/13/aung-san-suu-kyi-released

Bad News: Burma is still a totalitarian police state.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: November 14, 2010, 08:01:09 am »
That is... special. It is rather sad that I couldn't tell if it was satirical or not without investigating.
Yeah, that site's satirical, lot of effort put into it considering. They have a dude who walks around at atheist conventions posing as one of their "priests" I read somewhere.

I was legitimately worried that there were WAY more people who took ignorance to a WAY higher level than I'd ever expected.

Thank... Mammon.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: November 23, 2010, 08:12:58 am »
Good News: Thanksgiving is just a couple days away!

Bad News: Humanity might not survive to eat all that turkey if this keeps up.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: November 23, 2010, 10:48:12 am »
I guessed you would post that bad news.
Talking of turkey, it just reminds me of a documentary film about the first thanksgiving day of the Korea War, the US soldiers were given a turkey leg and mashed potato --- at that time, I hadn't eat any turkey during my life. :roll:
Well, but I don't think history will repeat itself, this time.

BROJ

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: November 27, 2010, 06:29:48 pm »
Good News: Black Friday went all right for most places (including my home town). A few places, not so much, but still. :roll:

Bad News: US Government censors 70 websites for whole world.  :( Not one for slippery slopes, but this might start a dangerous trend with sites like wikileaks and other sites that our government doesn't 'agree' with.

[edit] Missed a "this" and a "that"; it's convenient how related those words are.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 06:35:53 pm by BROJ »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: November 28, 2010, 03:53:05 pm »
Maybe I'm not just getting it, but how is this different than, say, the police shutting down a crack house?

BROJ

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: November 28, 2010, 05:11:27 pm »
Maybe I'm not just getting it, but how is this different than, say, the police shutting down a crack house?
It's more subtle than that. To use your analogy, it's like the police building a wall around a crack house in another country. The US isn't the only country that won't be able to view the sites (that are in another country, btw). Legally, the US can do this as the sites need physical components like the DNS servers (as long as one doesn't know the IP address) within US borders. But, it's still international censorship, and not something I can ethically stand behind, even if I don't advocate the sites themselves. It is a dangerous precedent, especially in a world that increasingly is trying to remove the walls of censorship and secrecy put up by governments.

On a related note: drugs cannot be compared to information. They are quite different.

dan_death

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: December 01, 2010, 04:43:31 am »
Bad News: Humanity might not survive to eat all that turkey if this keeps up.

This somewhat brings me back to a dream I had a few years ago, in which I was watching the news (which I never really do, since I usually just stumble upon the latest news anyway) and it said that China either sent nukes or got nuked, don't remember which.
Anyway, I fear it's not going to get any better, tensions were already high, especially when North Korea sunk a South Korean ship killing around 40 or so sailors earlier this year. One false move from any of those countries, including the US, may lead to very bad consequences...