Author Topic: Humanity: Good News, Bad News  (Read 111750 times)

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Re: Humanity: Good News, Bad News
« Reply #525 on: September 03, 2009, 01:06:24 am »
parents should have an absolute right to raise their children how they want to.

But why?

Also let's not forget that parents already do not, legally, have the right to raise their children any way they want to.  CPS (child protective services) can rightfully remove kids from their homes in cases of negligence and physical/sexual abuse.  So, the question at hand is one of reconsidering the boundaries; perhaps not seize children from their parents if they are spanked, but perhaps to let the action warrant the label of domestic disturbance?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: September 03, 2009, 01:38:42 am »
The same question, in a slightly different form, still applies: If parental powers are not absolute, why not, and what is the rational basis for determining what a parent can or cannot legally do?

If a child's physical wellbeing and the quality of their development are the determining factors, then parental authority as it presently exists is a hypocrisy. You can't leave your child alone in the house for more than a couple hours at a time, but you can force them to go to some backwater church that permanently impairs their critical thinking skills and indoctrinates them to be dysfunctional antisocial misfits? That's messed up.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: September 03, 2009, 01:41:39 am »
If a child's physical wellbeing and the quality of their development are the determining factors, then parental authority as it presently exists is a hypocrisy. You can't leave your child alone in the house for more than a couple hours at a time, but you can force them to go to some backwater church that permanently impairs their critical thinking skills and indoctrinates them to be dysfunctional antisocial misfits? That's messed up.
From now on there is a Godwin's Law: Chrono Compendium Edition.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #528 on: September 03, 2009, 04:23:05 am »
There should be child-rearing licenses. Based on economical, psychological and mental evaluations at least. You don't pass, you don't procreate. You fail horribly enough, you get castrated because some genes just shouldn't be passed on and the rest of the world shouldn't have to suffer them.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #529 on: September 03, 2009, 11:25:04 am »
Bah, you and your eugenics. I'm surprised a community so strongly based around humanism would endorse sterilization of people.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: September 03, 2009, 12:42:05 pm »
Why should parents have a higher degree of rights over the rearing of a child than someone else? Simple: they have willingly engaged and committed to that child's development. They are invested, as it were. Why should a politician pay more attention to the voters that elect him/her than to humans in a different country on a different continent?

We put restrictions on parents for the same reason we put restrictions on political processes. Ideally, everyone would work for the best outcome, but in reality people make mistakes. Sometimes they even willingly do things wrong. Thus we have society which attempts to maximize the good of freedom while minimizing the evil of abuse.

Society says that parents can't randomly cut off a kids toe because that is (almost) never something that should happen. It is a very clear cut issue. But educating children is good; the problem comes in how people educate their children. Lord J Esq, you bristle at parents taking their children to Church. Pfft, you should be glad! There is little like being raised complacently in a religion to strip the meaning and passion out of that religion. And those backwater churches; if the kid goes on to college and gets exposed to new ideas, that very act (regardless of what those ideas are) will challenge all pre-established beliefs. You should be far more concerned with the home environment of children. Children definitely parrot the beliefs of their parents. A child in an ultraconservative family who happens to not regularly attend church will be far more "damaged" than a child in a liberal family who regularly does attend a religious institution.

Since individual context can play such an important role in education (and sure, indoctrination; it would be dishonest to say that any parent does not indoctrinate their child), society generally perceives that the limitations on freedom that effective social interference would necessitates are not compensated by the benefits.

Cut off a kids toe and we'll cart you away. Force your kid to wear tassels on all their clothing… meh, that is on a different level all together. We can largely agree that the former is bad, but society is fairly divided as to the latter.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: September 03, 2009, 01:48:58 pm »
Bah, you and your eugenics. I'm surprised a community so strongly based around humanism would endorse sterilization of people.

I think it was only me saying that...& I guess castration might be overkill, I suppose a vasectomy would be ok, though sometimes those don't always work. Sure, I believe in humanism myself to a point, but I think I also believe some people are less human than others. :lol: Equality is a nice dream, but the fact is people are not equal and no one is the same. There are people that are beyond change & any possibility of redemption. Then again, with technology it's probably possible to make it so that certain things don't carry over. Meh, maybe idk what I'm talking about...but even w/o the somewhat extreme negative consequences, you've got to agree that licenses is a good idea.

On a hilarious side-note, when I read that, I looked back up over my comment and it showed my Mister Sinister avy, ha!

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #532 on: September 03, 2009, 03:46:08 pm »
Great News: Hero football star tackles and disarms a student with a gun on a school bus.

Attaboy! This man is a hero!

Hopefully the kooks at aol will leave the racist comments out of this article. This guy deserves praise, not some genius saying that Obama caused it, with another guy blaming GW right after him.

It really can't be said enough, this guy's bravery and tact is worthy of an official commendation. Way to go!

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #533 on: September 03, 2009, 09:45:35 pm »
I found this story really cute.

Good news: Old car lasts 46 years and 540,000 miles with same owner. http://autos.aol.com/article/rachel-veitch-old-car

Lakonthegreat

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Love this community, and care for it as your own.
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #534 on: September 03, 2009, 10:48:58 pm »
There should be child-rearing licenses. Based on economical, psychological and mental evaluations at least. You don't pass, you don't procreate. You fail horribly enough, you get castrated because some genes just shouldn't be passed on and the rest of the world shouldn't have to suffer them.

You just killed:
Albert Einstein
Stephen Hawking
Isaac Newton
Benjamin Franklin.

You also just killed Adolf Hitler too though... so I dunno.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: September 04, 2009, 12:17:17 am »
I don't know what you mean. Aren't most of those guys already dead (I forget if Hawking is yet or not)...? :P

Lakonthegreat

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #536 on: September 04, 2009, 06:38:21 am »
I don't know what you mean. Aren't most of those guys already dead (I forget if Hawking is yet or not)...? :P

Well, if these kinds of laws had been implemented when they were first thought about in the 1600's, these people would have never been around.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: September 04, 2009, 02:07:40 pm »
If they were implemented early enough, it's possible we could have even greater thinkers...! But I guess I understand the thought that having to deal with setbacks can make you a better person...but it's not like crappy parents is the only downturn a person can go through...

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #538 on: September 04, 2009, 02:27:10 pm »

Well, if these kinds of laws had been implemented when they were first thought about in the 1600's, these people would have never been around.

Your basis for this being?

Lakonthegreat

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #539 on: September 04, 2009, 05:23:13 pm »
Most of their families were very poor. Benjamin Franklin was an illegitimate child.