Author Topic: Real time palette and name changes  (Read 2255 times)

Vargose

• Chrono Trigger Threads of Time
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Real time palette and name changes
« on: November 28, 2005, 11:22:42 am »
I was wondering if there was a way to change palettes for character spites and portraits during gameplay. Specifically an event I could make in TF. Also is there a way to change character names during gameplay, automatically.

JLukas

• Fan Project Leader
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 09:51:30 pm »
You can change names using 2 methods.  SpecialDialog name PC (such as the Nu in Laruba Ruins), or a variant 4E Memcpy command to copy data to the RAM addresses that hold the player names.  Ex: for Crono that is 7E2C23 - 7E2C27.

JLukas

• Fan Project Leader
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 10:15:40 pm »
I checked into the character palettes and they are uncompressed.  You won't be able to change it using memcopy commands like with the names above.  If you were to change the portraits and sprite data it would have to be changed in a hex editor, making it permanent.  To have it change during gameplay would require ASM.

Geiger

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Geiger's Crypt
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 10:41:00 pm »
While I cannot provide conclusive proof to the contrary, you may wish to look at the Telepod Exhibit, which cycles palettes for a few different objects.

---T.Geiger

Naz

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 07:20:00 am »
You might wanna go topic-digging. I remember this being a topic a while ago. It was very detailed.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 09:21:00 am »
I don't think you would like the way but it all depends, you could find the Death Peek scene or Lavos, whatever it is, where they are different colors.  Find them then edit the file to your liking and reinsert it back into your rom.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 09:35:14 am »
Quote from: Naz
You might wanna go topic-digging. I remember this being a topic a while ago. It was very detailed.

Maybe it's somewhere in this topic: http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=1000&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Vargose

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 10:29:59 am »
I seem to remember a red time gate, gray characters in the lavos seen, and other cool events that altered the appearance of things.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: Real time palette and name changes
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 12:08:16 pm »
I was wondering if there was a way to change palettes for character spites and portraits during gameplay. Specifically an event I could make in TF. Also is there a way to change character names during gameplay, automatically.
Actually, there IS a way to change sprite palette during gameplay, that's how they made Ozzie VIII purple (there's only one Ozzie sprite, normally in green). The command is MemCopy88. It's very complicated (at least for me) as you have to describe the colors in... hex.

Daid

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 12:37:10 pm »
Actually, there IS a way to change sprite palette during gameplay, that's how they made Ozzie VIII purple (there's only one Ozzie sprite, normally in green). The command is MemCopy88. It's very complicated (at least for me) as you have to describe the colors in... hex.
There's a HEX guide on the internet somewhere...
damn I just can't remember where it is...

Geiger

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Geiger's Crypt
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 02:19:48 am »
you have to describe the colors in... hex.

And if you have no experience with SNES colors, you have to convert the RGB value to 15-bit, squished into two bytes.  Not the easiest thing in the world to do by hand, even if you have experience.

---T.Geiger

Vargose

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 11:49:14 am »

Thanks Chrono99 you never cease to amaze. I have had to deal with my fair share of palettes it shouldnt be too hard.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 11:51:44 am by Vargose »