Author Topic: Enemy Modification  (Read 36128 times)

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
Enemy Modification
« on: August 15, 2006, 04:39:04 pm »
Yep, I got a new job.
Here will be all enemy Modification sorted by location, they will have all stats, Items you can win etc..

(JP)  This topic will server as the hub for Cybersnarkany (heir to the masamune), Maelstrom (from the infamouse Level Zero hack), and myself (from the infamous Coliseum hack)  to assure that the game is challenging.

Cyber is going to go through and make any comments he feels are necessary whether it is loading a new enemy, adding enemies or even changing enemy stats.  Maelstrom will be able to change the stats and I will make any necessary changes to the even code. (/JP)

Beast forest (level in: 1; Level out: 4)
Note: Magus is alone

Enemy 1:  Beast;  HP: 40;  Strength: 8;  Speed: 12;  Defense: 180;  Exp: 5;  G: 450;  Tech: 5; Elemental Defense: all 4
Boss Enemy: Golem Boss;  HP: 500;  Strength: 5;  Speed: 8;  Defense: 160;  Exp: 50;  G: 120;  Tech: 20; Elemental Defense: all 2

Battle 1:
Triggered: Random; in the centre area
Enemies: 2 Beast

Battle 2:
Triggered: Trying to enter the next screen above

Battle 3:
Triggered: Random, on the upper right area of the screen

Battle 4:
Triggered: random; left upper tree from the center area
Enemies: 1 Beast

Battle 5:
Triggered: running along the ice bridge(lower path)

Battle 6:
Triggered: running along the ice bridge(middle path)

Battle 7:
Triggered: running along the ice bridge(upper path)

Comments: If they appear in a group of 2, they should at least have 100 HP so both won't get killed by 1 magic attack. If some tries, he gets hurt (Beasts do charge if you attack them and they don't die) by 2 strong attacks.
The more HP is also needed if he faces only 1, because he should need a min. of 2 attacks, otherwise leveling would be to easy. They need to give less gil.

Boss enemy:
Triggered: After the chat with Dalton
Enemies: 1 Golem Boss

Comments: He needs more HP and maybe 1 or 2 added speed so people need some healing(punish them for trying to run through that game), maybe a helm or armor as reward since the Shop doesn't have anything.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 05:50:35 pm by CyberSarkany »

Maelstrom

• Architect of Kajar
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Re: Enemy Modification
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 02:28:28 pm »
5 TP is too much for a weak enemy as well.

Buying 10 Tonics isn't exactly hard to do, and slowing down the player is a sound idea.  However, I am concerned that those beast fights will get redundant, and I think if you want to crank up the difficulty of the beasts without compromising the interest of the player, you need to introduce another type of enemy (or two) into these groupings.  One of these enemies can be made either significantly more dangerous or significantly weaker than the other one or two types, forcing the player to set priorirites.

The Elixirs seem like overkill this early in the game; while using magic is a useful way to limit the pain from the Golem, you have to level-up before you even get *two* castings of a spell, so spending those Elixirs isn't particularly cost-efficient.  The main problem with Magus's magic is that all of his spells cost 8+ TP (and his level-2 spells are already stronger than the other level-2 spells to boot, so just lowering the TP cost isn't the answer), and Magus as a level 1 creature was never planned for by Square.  If Magus had a 4 TP or less skill, and he was picking up Ethers instead of Elixirs, I could see magic making some sense in the Golem fight, but that's not the beast we are dealing with here.  His physical attacks are plenty strong as-is, anyway.

Ideas?

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 04:19:57 pm »
Since it's "Beast Forest" would it be bad to add the red/blue beasts from that boss fight before Mt. Woe...Just a thought this is going to be your guys project.

--jp

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 05:09:07 pm »
The Red and Blue Beasts may be an idea, but to differ them from the normal beasts, maybe give them Element absorbing? Or maybe give the Red ones more speed, yet less attack strength and for the Blue ones the other way around.(I can't quite remember if they also charge when you attack them, I hope they don't)

The normal Beast are strong enough, because of the Charge. I think instead of 2 normal beasts, we should have 1 Normal and 1 colord, and for the ice bridge each on in a single battle.

Maybe 2 TP for each Beast(whatever color)?

For the boss fight, 750 HP should be enough, yet the including the speed addition will make him more difficult.

Instead of Elixiers I would say using a normal Ether(+10 MP) would enough, and how about letting the normal Beasts drop Tonics? For those who are to lazy to kill the Enemys, go outside again and buy tonics, and reenter the Forest.

So this is my idea(I will edit the stuff above if everyone agrees, and differences from the one above is marked red if increased, blue if decreased, pink are additions).

Enemy 1: Beast HP: 150;  Strength: 8;  Speed: 10;  Defense: 180;  Exp: 5;  G: 25;  Tech: 2 Elemental Defense: all 4;  Drop: Tonic(-> Remember he can charge)
Enemy 2: Blue Beast HP: 150;  Strength: 12;  Speed: 8;  Defense: 180;  Exp: 5;  G: 25;  Tech: 2; Elemental Defense: all 4
Enemy 3: Red Beast HP: 150;  Strength: 5;  Speed: 12;  Defense: 180;  Exp: 5;  G: 25;  Tech: 2; Elemental Defense: all 4
Boss Enemy: Golem Boss;  HP: 750;  Strength: 5;  Speed: 10;  Defense: 160;  Exp: 50;  G: 120;  Tech: 20; Elemental Defense: all 2

I am not sure how strong the Strength effects the damage(is it linear or propotional?), I will test it soon.
Oh, and we need to chnage the charmable Items from them(you can still charm RBow Helms from the beasts).

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I downed every Beasts speed by 2, so the fastest beast(red one) is as fast as Magus, otherwise a group of them would be to hard.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 08:43:32 pm by CyberSarkany »

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 10:47:01 pm »
I did a List of all enemys that appear + their  stats until Singing Mountain.
It should be for a quick look what enemys are inserted and what stats they original have(Note: the brackets are around the monster and Areas from the original CT). The hex Code is in brackets after the name of the Enemy.
I did it in the Editor, and it copying it here would screw the table, so just download he attachement.

Edit: All Enemies inserted.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 04:17:26 pm by CyberSarkany »

Maelstrom

• Architect of Kajar
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 10:33:20 pm »
This may seem a little off topic, but it substantially affects Beast Mountain, so it seems relevant.

I've done some research to see what sort of tricks we have at our disposal regarding Magus and Beast Mountain.  Ultimately, the problem with Magus is that he has no "weak" spells to speak of.  Each of them costs 8+ MP (very much unlike the other heroes -- half their skills are 4 MP or less), and he starts with 14 Max MP.  As is, Magus is ineffective as a magic user at this point of the game, so some adjustments may be in order.  We could...

1) Kick Magus up a few levels (to 5 or 10).  By the time he joins the other heroes, his levels should have covered some of the gap, and it isn't like he would completely outclass the other characters.

2) Put a SilverStud in a Beast Mountain chest.  Cutting MP costs in half would help a bit, and while this is a pretty strong accessory for this point of the game, the same really could be said for Magus's Amulet.

3) Downgrade the power and cost of his level 2 spells (Fire2, Lit2, Ice2).  This isn't entirely a drastic idea, because his level 2 spells use a base power of 18, whereas other characters with level 2 spells use a base power of 14.  Taking his base power of 18 (for all 3 spells) down to 14 would put him in line with the other PCs, and decreasing the cost of level 2 spells for ALL characters to ~6 MP could be justified (this affects a lot of characters, but level 2 spells *are* a bit overpriced).

4) Cannibalize an existing spell to make it weaker and inexpensive.  For this action to "make sense," you would need to choose a spell that is unique (this eliminates Lit2, Fire2, Ice2) and is something that could feasibly tweaked without changing lots of undocumented code (which I was unable to do with Black Hole).  The logical remaining candidates would be Dark Mist and Dark Bomb.  Dark Mist would be preferable, but it's problematic in that Dark Mist is the sixth spell learned.  It's a pretty easy task to have Magus start off having learned his six spell, and you don't even have to teach him all the spells before it.  However, if you want him to learn earlier spells, he will have to "relearn" Dark Mist later (he won't ever "forget" the spell, but he will have to earn the TP again, and after having done so, the game will report he has "learned" Dark Mist).  That's probably not a "glitch" we want to have in the final product, and letting Magus start with his first six spells is a bit much.

4a) The last option is to instead sacrifice Dark Bomb and make that a weak and cheap spell.  There's no "harm" in having Magus start with having learned four spells instead of just three, but it seems a tad cruel to neuter Magus's ONLY single-target (well, nearly single-target) attack spell.

I would advise against 4 and 4a, but some combination of the first three seem appropriate.  It may not be so necessary to empower Magus to use spells throughout Beast Mountain, but it would be kind to allow the player to be effective with spells during the eventual boss battle (Golem's pattern of Iron Orb + physical attack is hellacious against single-character parties, so allowing Magus to use more magic would give a player a means of keeping damage in check).  Making Ether available for sale and/or putting a couple Ethers in chests is an option that can help things out, but I would not rely on them alone to fix the MP problem (they're too expensive).  Or we could do nothing, and just have Magus use his melee attack.

So, please advise.

I actually like the idea of using the Red and Blue beasts, but would they be able to attack on their own?  I always remember them needing to be provoked by that nigh-invincible Imp.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 05:54:48 pm by Maelstrom »

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 10:10:30 pm »
It sounds like the silverstud is certainly the easiest to implement option.

--jp

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 06:02:15 pm »
About the red/blue beasts: I'm gonna check what attack they have later tonight. Is it possible to make his "counter-attack" (when he gets hit by the Imp's stone) to a normal attack?

I would say either boost or Silverstud, not both.
Boost to max. lvl 5(he then would have 22 MP) + maybe managing the Exp-gain so he would get level 6 before fighting the Golem with a few extra fights(lvl 6=24 exp=3 spells).
Silverstud would mean 3 spells with level 1(You have 14 MP if I recall right).

One of those + Downgrading.

And about downgrading: I would say to downgrade to 15/16, because he is Magus and supposed to be stronger with his spells than the others.

Maelstrom

• Architect of Kajar
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 09:00:51 pm »
I can do #1-#3 fairly easily on my own and just give an .ips patch.  From an effort standpoint (on my part), they are all quite cheap.

I think what I'll do is use the SilverStud and downgrade the level 2 magic.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 07:12:21 pm »
I've begun the wiki for this:

http://chronocompendium.com/Term/CE/Battles/Chapter1LegacyOfZeal.html

Feel free to add to it, it's not hard to do just document all the battles no hex editing required haha.

--JP

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 05:19:49 pm »
Do bosses get their own page or should they just be added there?

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 05:47:03 pm »
We can make it a seperate page and then link to the bosses from there.

We can do something like

[[CE/Bosses/(bossnamehere)]]

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 05:06:43 pm »
Cyber:

I gave the red/blue beasts weaknesses to elements I'm not sure how to make them absorb elements maybe if  i make their elemental defense high enough it absorbs it? (i'll try tat later).

I still get killed by two of them before I can cast a spell twice though.

--JP

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 04:31:47 am »
Here is a patch I made that makes Magus spells cost 6 instead of 8 but also weakens the  spells....i'm debating undoing the weakening the spells.

--JP

[attachment deleted by admin]

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2008, 07:12:37 pm »
70-Lasher
HP: 300
LV:  7
Unknowns:  0;0;0;0;0;10
Speed 11