Author Topic: Who is the more powerful of the two, Serge or Crono?  (Read 6901 times)

Faulce

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Who is the more powerful of the two, Serge or Crono?
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2004, 09:33:57 pm »
Ouch, harsh words.  I think I have solved this problem.  I worked out a variety of possibilities in a controlled environment and came out with a clear winner.  However, almost all of the possibilities are hidden redundancies of other possibilities (I will explain in just a moment). (though i may have missed some possibilities, if i have, point them out, just make sure they arent hidden redundancies , and dont be mean about it, im only human, sheesh.)

Let:  Crono -lv. **; Serge -lv. *99
Crono-Rainbow,PrismHelm,WhiteMail,FrenzyBand.
Serge-SpectraSwallow,WhitePlate,Dreamer'sSarong,Sunglasses, Prism Helm.
Conditions:(1)Because of armor selection, all White Magic and Elements are useless (as pointed out by Zeality, Crono originally had the Heaven element, so he is the same as Serge.)(2) The fight will be ONE round (this is a duel, and I'm only human)(3) Both have 999hp, full stats, Crono has 99mp, Serge has lv. 8 element grid (due to Dreamer's Sarong being equipted)
(4) 2 Fierce attacks OR 1 Fierce attack and Dash & Slash tech. by Serge will defeat Crono.   -  1 critical hit by Crono OR 2 normal hits by Crono OR 1 use of the Confuse tech. will defeat Serge.
Battle:
(1)Crono:Confuse;Serge is defeated - (2)Serge:miss,hits,D&S;Crono is defeated - (3)Serge:hit,hit;Crono is defeated - (4)Serge:miss;Crono:counters w/critical attack;Serge is defeated
(5)Serge:miss;Crono:counters w/normal attack;Serge:miss;Crono:counters w/normal attack; Serge is defeated -

Now before people start to yell at me for making Crono win, and saying what about if he does this or that, remember the hidden redundancies? well let me explain that here:

What is the difference between: ""Serge:miss,miss,D&S;Crono:Confuse;Serge is defeated"" and ""Crono:Confuse;Serge is defeated""?  The answer is that although in real life, what we would see changes, in actuality the same thing occured.
I had about 30 or so possibilities mapped out before i realized that almost all of them were subtle copies of other ones.  The ones i left above are all unique sequences.  Here is an example of a really really hidden redundancy: ""Serge:miss;Crono:counters but misses;Serge:hits;Crono:counters w/normal attack;Serge:D&S;Crono is defeated""  that is redundant of number 2.  Just think about it.  Hope people are satisfied with my results. Correct them if there is a problem (but dont be redundant [as I am being right now by repeating this, heh])

Crono WINS   Score: 3 to 2

Epsilon

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2004, 09:43:31 pm »
Quote from: ZeaLitY
The arbiter can use the Frozen Flame.

This topic is pointless, it seems.

Well, the Forzen Flame is but a piece of Lavos's Energy, isnt it? And Crono did beat Lavos... (But then again, Serge beat Lavos + Schala, so...)

Faulce

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2004, 09:50:02 pm »
yes, but Time Devourer is a pathetically easy boss.  Lavos is too but if you go into the battle with the TD with the Green Plate equipted, you have a significant advantage in the beginning. and at *99, he just has nothing on you (that is assuming that between each level you fought other enemies to max out your stats and didnt just go from level to level [bad idea]) But at ** with Crono, Lavos is about as strong as the dragon tank.
Conclusion, Lavos with 3 forms and TD are equally easy.  But you cannot determine the winner based on the difficulty of their foes, only techs. used and equiptment intelligence can determine that.

XchrononetX

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2004, 01:35:55 pm »
Well, all things are meaningless, no more or less so than this topic BTW. I am one who thinks that Crono and Co. saved the world, Serge just fixed it. Crono's task was much more difficult if you ask me... Still though, I'm not selling Serge short, it's just that Crono's quest always seemed so much more significant to me, what with the elements of time as opposed to the elements of space in the general gist of the games story. Well, I think Crono could win, and that seems to be the general idea I'm getting from the greatest pecent of people commenting, so as the starter of this topic I declare Crono the winner! Not that that means anything, this topics gonna keep on going anyway :).

Faulce

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2004, 01:45:10 pm »
Yea, this topic should just be closed.  Its pointless to discuss it because a winner cannot be truly reached without a comp running through all the possibilities.  If the two games had the same combat system, it would be possible to come up with a reasonable answer......but they dont!
I was just trying to help in my post about their fight above but, it is only one of many possibilities.  So yea, discussion closed, i guess.

YbrikMetaknight

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • I strike fast and disappear for years at a time.
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Compendium
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2004, 03:55:48 am »
And with that, the topic is closed, courtesy, Your Friendly Neighborhood Metaknight.