Author Topic: Who is the more powerful of the two, Serge or Crono?  (Read 6940 times)

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Who is the more powerful of the two, Serge or Crono?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2004, 11:47:27 pm »
Quote from: XchrononetX
Well, another fun lil' piece of information, the Katana is, to this day, still considered by experts to be the most powerful Melee weapon in the world. This can be sighted in the fact that it is sharper than any other weapon, and also that it is really light and quick, unlike most other swords, like English broadswords. Also, Swallows were never really successful in history, as you can only attack a person with one blade at a time, negating the bonus of having a second one, and just adding weight to slow it down. If you haven't noticed yet I have a certain love for the art of war.

Quote from: XchrononetX
The truth about combat is, all those little spins and twirls characters in blockbuster movies make, well, they are ineffective. Kendo is the strongest form of swordsmanship in the modern age, derived from Kenjutsu, the same for as the Samurai used. Kendo teaches making every movement count, so any wasted motion is rendered useless. Flashy twirling is considered one such wasted movement, and thusly is pretty much negated in real combat. This is one such reason why a Swallow is bad... Plus, this is a one on one battle we are talkin' here, so I don't think the extra blade would matter, though a Swallow, when used correctly DOES have the range advantage...

Quote your sources, please.  If you are an authority on martial arts, is the Swallow a real weapon?  I was under the impression that it was completely fictional.

Quote from: Symmetry
Interesting.

Crono's cyclone is the only move I can think of with such "unnecessary" movements - and it is later rendered useless by his more advanced techniques. Both Spincut and the 4x version of it are individual strikes.

I wonder if that was merely coincidence, or put there to show Crono's advancement in swordplay.

How is any part of Cyclone unnecessary?  Crono isn't spinning around to show off; he is performing a devastating attack.  Spincut is a single-strike move, but Confuse has much more than four attack animations and they are not superfluous.  Just because an animation does not correspond with the attack damage doesn't mean that that movement is not required for the successful completion of that attack.

Symmetry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2004, 11:58:30 pm »
Quote from: GrayLensman
How is any part of Cyclone unnecessary?  Crono isn't spinning around to show off; he is performing a devastating attack.  Spincut is a single-strike move, but Confuse has much more than four attack animations and they are not superfluous.  Just because an animation does not correspond with the attack damage doesn't mean that that movement is not required for the successful completion of that attack.

Everytime Crono performs cyclone, he's swinging just as he would no matter how many enemies are surrounding him. That seems like in many circumstances, wasted energy. I was just remarking that if the comment about "unnecessary" movement being something students of a particular art aimed to eliminate was true - Crono's later attacks semed more focused. Instead of trying to attack multiple enemies at once, his techniques focus on one enemy.

I did not mean to suggest that Crono's spinning on Confuse was superfluous.

GrayLensman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2004, 01:13:39 am »
When Crono performs Cyclone, the target of the tech is always in the killing zone.  Even if Crono only attacks one opponent, his effort is not wasted.

XchrononetX

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2004, 03:59:40 pm »
Well, because I believe in modesty I wouldn't call myself an "expert" I guess, but rather an interested person. And yes, the Swallow is a real weapon, albeit an unsuccessful one... Sadly. It's very cool in appearance, though! Melee weapons happen to be my favorite. So, to answer your question, yes the Swallow has been sited in history, and is indeed a real weapon, it just works better in theory than in practice.
Also, on the subject of "wasted motion", cyclone COULD be described as such a wasted motion, if it is used on only one enemy, however if used on multiple, then all the movement is totally justified. BTW, I'm going to be practicing in a Kendo class soon, so wish me luck!

Faulce

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2004, 04:52:11 pm »
Crono could defeat Serge quite easily, assume Crono is at ** level and Serge is at *99.  All Crono has to do is use the Confuse Tech. which would easily take away all of Serge's 999 hp.  None of Serge's ahem "techs" can always do that, not even at *99.  But maybe he could get lucky, i dunno.

Good luck, xchrononetx!  I did Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for awhile, martial arts are fun. :)

XchrononetX

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2004, 02:12:53 pm »
I heard that Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is the strongest form of the art. I wonder if that is true. Having learned about the art through training, maybe you could answer my question? BTW, martial arts are very fun! Oh yeah, I also think that Crono could dominate Serge, although Serge DOES have the advantage of range though...

Faulce

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2004, 03:03:31 pm »
It is the strongest form of the art, at least that I know of.  It was taught to the Gracie family years ago, they reformed some of the techniques and added others.  The only weakness in BJJ is that some of the newer techs. were developed with sport fighting in mind, so they wouldnt work too well in a tense real life combat situation.  
Bah Serges range, just wait till his 7 stamina points run out ;)   then Crono will take him down.

XchrononetX

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2004, 05:55:16 pm »
Yet another thing I forgot to implement, stamina. OF COURSE! Crono couldn't lose because lil' Sergy boy would get tuckered out  8) . Yep, that's definately the way it would go down, Crono doing more damage to begin with, Serge barely keeping up, and then BOOM! Serge's stamina wears out. THE END! Oh yeah, also, even items have to be used under the element system, and thusly can only be used once, whereas Crono can use his items numerous times, and by the end of the game just about everyone will have near max Elixers. Sorry Serge, you're just outclassed :P.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2004, 06:19:45 pm »
How about:

Incomparable

GrayLensman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2004, 06:39:22 pm »
Does no one think Serge would win?

Faulce

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2004, 06:44:53 pm »
Serge just doesnt have the presence that Crono has.  With Crono, you know he is just going to kick your ass, without saying a word (lol).  With Serge, i dunno, i would be less scared to fight him.  But logically Crono would win.  He has the elixirs, the more powerful Luminaire, the Rainbow and prism specs.  I just really dont see Serge winning....

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2004, 08:34:17 pm »
I believe Serge would win, as he is the Arbiter of the Frozen Flame.

chronotriggerfreak

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • http://ctf.sytes.net/
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2004, 08:44:21 pm »
Screw you, Zeality. Crono can kick Serge's aft back to Kansas any day.

Epsilon

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2004, 09:14:20 pm »
Hm, does the Arbriter have any other powers than being able to enter Chronopolis though?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2004, 09:17:47 pm »
The arbiter can use the Frozen Flame.

This topic is pointless, it seems.