Author Topic: Need an idea?  (Read 3906 times)

-Xavier-

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Re: Need an idea?
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2006, 02:11:00 am »
Hmm...

"King Guardia has been kidnapped by Yakra!"

Is Yakra a guy or a girl? It's kind of hard to tell...

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2006, 02:51:59 pm »
Hmm...

"King Guardia has been kidnapped by Yakra!"

Is Yakra a guy or a girl? It's kind of hard to tell...

Thus, that's one that needn't be changed.

Magus068

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Speak the truth, even it leads to your death!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2006, 04:20:23 am »
If the genders are reverse in CT, then we'll have a monarchy that rules by a matriarch(queen will be a ruler) in the Guardia Kingdom.

Rat

• Alternate Primary Member
  • Porrean (+50)
  • Impersonal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2006, 07:19:30 am »
Considering that Ayla is a Clan of the Cave Bears character reference... maybe a name from that movie/book series would be appropriate for her gender switch? Perhaps Jondalar (he's in the second book of the series)?

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2006, 02:52:16 am »
Considering that Ayla is a Clan of the Cave Bears character reference... maybe a name from that movie/book series would be appropriate for her gender switch? Perhaps Jondalar (he's in the second book of the series)?

I have never heard of that. Well, since you seem more knowledgeable, I suppose we should follow you in this.

But my previous question again: is this actually being worked on?

Rat

• Porrean (+50)
  • Impersonal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2006, 04:47:17 am »

I have never heard of that. Well, since you seem more knowledgeable, I suppose we should follow you in this.

But my previous question again: is this actually being worked on?

They're interesting books. And though the movie is a bit silly in a few aspects, I remember enjoying it.

It's probably not being worked on, but it is interesting to throw around ideas still. Or at least, I think it is.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2006, 04:01:02 am »
What a fascinating idea. Prolly my favorite topic of the month...an opportunity to re-experience the classic while gaining a valuable insight into gender perception. I like all this concept art that's coming out, too...very thought-provoking.

The Gurus would give us an opportunity to see old women on the side of good in a position of power--an almost nonexistent archetype in most Japanese and American fantasy. (And one of the reasons why Suliman from Howl's Moving Castle was such a compelling character.) Krispin was right about the intrigue of seeing the typical male and female leads--Crono and Marle--turned on their heads. Ayla would be less interesting because her character was already one of the most expectation-subverting ones, and the brawny male caveman has been done.

Lavos, being an "it," would be all the same, but most of the other bosses would take on new characteristics depending on the extent of one's gender biases. I guess that could be interesting.

But more fun would be many of the NPCs, who would be particularly interesting to see. Toma, Tata, Dalton, Ozzie, Schala, Gato, Cyrus...many of these do not often have a corresponding archetype in the opposite gender. That'd be refreshing to see, if only for the study in contrasts. Even I would be able to uncover a few hidden biases with such diverse casting.

Awesome premise! Does it need to be developed into a game? I don't know about that...but I would definitely play it and keep a copy if it were done. (Presuming, as Ramsus said, that the characters remain true to the originals without the hacker team trying to cancel out the whole purpose of the exercise by adapting the character roles to suit their new genders.)

But one thing...Rhea Trigger? Karena Trigger? Those just don't ring. Chrono Trigger is the name of the game, and I see no problem with making Crono a unisex name as well. Likewise Magus--all but Krispin will forgive the Latin masculine suffix--Robo, Frog, and the other interchangeable names. Only the ones that are unmistakably gendered need be changed at all.

What a fun topic...

EDIT: I forgot to give Ramsus my compliments for preserving a left-handed Crono. That's a detail dear to my heart that few people bother to notice.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 04:03:56 am by Lord J esq »

Magus068

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2006, 09:24:12 am »
Names for some NPCs..

Toma = Tomo(short for Tomoko)
Dalton =  Daltonia
Tata = Tata(it's already a female name where I came from)
Kino = Kana
Spekkio = Spekkiona/Spekkia
Nezbel = Jezebel
Schala = Schalion
Azala = Zaala
Gato = Gato(Robots are genderless!)
Queen Leene = King Neil
Lara = Raal
Taban = Tabanea/Nabatea
Ozzie = Ozzina/Ozzia
Flea = Ealf
Slash = Slashira

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2006, 12:17:14 pm »
Names for some NPCs..

Toma = Tomo(short for Tomoko)
Dalton =  Daltonia
Tata = Tata(it's already a female name where I came from)
Kino = Kana
Spekkio = Spekkiona/Spekkia
Nezbel = Jezebel
Schala = Schalion
Azala = Zaala
Gato = Gato(Robots are genderless!)
Queen Leene = King Neil
Lara = Raal
Taban = Tabanea/Nabatea
Ozzie = Ozzina/Ozzia
Flea = Ealf
Slash = Slashira

That's some funny stuff. Great ideas, too. :D Is someone gonna try making this hack?

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2006, 05:38:32 pm »
Is this idea actually going forward? Because I think it would be rather interesting to see, and would be a fascinating experiment in how the perception of a story changes with the reversal of gender roles. And, heck, its a parody of sorts, so wouldn't it even be free of copyright laws? Corona (I like that suggestion of mine) being woken up by her father, giddy about the fair. He tells her her friend Lucas is waiting. At the fair she runs into the handsome prince-in-disguise Marlon. Tibanna, the inventor mother of Lucas introduces the invention. Marlon is swept away - the brave Corona goes after him. In 600 AD they meet the warrior woman turned Frog Gwen. They save the helpless Marlon. Getting back... this is like a totally new story! It would be interesting to see a strong fiery fighter female in the lead, with a weaker prince-type male in the secondary.
Sadly, Corona and Marlon each have more than 5 letters, they don't fit in the name slots.

Gender "re-reversed" Flea would be very interesting by the way...

TheOutlaw

• Guardian (+100)
  • Run like it is Godzilla!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2006, 06:55:47 pm »
Flea you won't need to do a thing
Slash doens't need a name change

i can't believe how far into npcs people want to go, for me the playable characters seem just enough

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2006, 07:32:50 pm »
Gender "re-reversed" Flea would be very interesting by the way...

So Flea would finally be a she? But look like a he?

*Brain explodes*

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2006, 08:26:41 pm »
That's a very disturbing thought..  Also just noticed,  Rat's Sig looks like Norma Beaty from Tales of Legendia.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 01:20:15 am by justin3009 »

Magus068

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2006, 03:44:17 am »
Also just noticed,  Rat's Sig looks like Norma Beaty from Tales of Legendia.

Actually, she's from Samurai Champloo. I do know her name though...

Rat

• Porrean (+50)
  • Impersonal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2006, 04:30:26 am »
Also just noticed,  Rat's Sig looks like Norma Beaty from Tales of Legendia.

Actually, she's from Samurai Champloo. I do know her name though...

Fuu! :D