Author Topic: Kajar reference?  (Read 2413 times)

Seifaiden

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Kajar reference?
« on: July 29, 2006, 04:30:43 am »
I apologize beforehand if this has been mentioned before, but while doing some unrelated research today I noticed that the second-to-last ruling dynasty of Iran was the Qajar Dynasty.  From my understanding, in Arabic/Farsi romanization "K" can replace "Q".  This interested me, given the Persian influence evident in Zeal.  Haven't found anything on Enhasa yet, but things always seem to pop into view randomly around these parts. 

Matt Shadows

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • A7X
    • View Profile
Re: Kajar reference?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 04:57:08 am »
Dude, WTF?

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 06:27:37 am »
I apologize beforehand if this has been mentioned before, but while doing some unrelated research today I noticed that the second-to-last ruling dynasty of Iran was the Qajar Dynasty.  From my understanding, in Arabic/Farsi romanization "K" can replace "Q".  This interested me, given the Persian influence evident in Zeal.  Haven't found anything on Enhasa yet, but things always seem to pop into view randomly around these parts. 
I believe it has been mentioned once or twice a long time ago, but apparently this isn't in the Real World Influences article yet. So, interesting post. I don't remember an etymology for Enhasa so feel free to tell us if you discover something.

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 11:26:31 am »
Dude, WTF?

Please don't spam.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 04:41:22 am »

Actually, that's an interesting point I have not seen ever brought up. The names have always struck me as being Middle-Eastern in sound, but I didn't know they might have had a real influence. And, indeed, K often replaces a Q. Say, Qadesh, most often written Kadesh (though admittedly a bit more western than Persia, it follow the format.)

Salvadeiro

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 06:06:57 am »

Good observation, because Zeal's influences are almost totally persian.

Also! That would be true if K (kaaf) and Q (qaaf) weren't two different letters.  Kaaf is the normal K.  Qaaf is different.  It's more of a throaty K, souding more like a G.  Arabic and Persian are two different languages but still the letters are the same and so our the sounds.

Daid

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 11:59:58 am »

That's interesting. Medina is also a middle eastern reference (i think) perhaps the games creators (or Ted Wolsey) decided to draw upon Middle Eastern Names and culture.
Interesting...

satchel_dawg

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 01:43:00 pm »
Well this game takes place in 1000A.D. so that means the game probably draws from the historical backround of the world in that time, escpeciall in the dynastys in asia.