Author Topic: The "WTF? Check this link out!" thread!  (Read 272381 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: The "WTF? Check this link out!" thread!
« Reply #225 on: April 29, 2007, 09:43:14 pm »
Art purists suggest that they do concentrate on fluidity like Lee advocated, but only in advanced levels. What use is that? Take what is useful, discard what isn't. As long as humans have two arms and two legs, there will never be different styles of real fighting; rather, there will only be practical application of what works.

MsBlack

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 29, 2007, 10:41:22 pm »
Quite. I remember recently, a black belt friend tried to put me in a headlock but I simply bit his arm and he let go. Many martial arts limit themselves by only teaching defences against that particular style, and, to some degree fighting offensively against it. If I were to try a back kick on a Wing Chun guy up close, I'd get my ass kicked. Another fundamental principle that isn't taught (at least at basic levels) in karate is barring an opponent's hand from defending them, something that seems to be prevelant in Wing Chun.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 10:43:27 pm by MsBlack »

grey_the_angel

• Alternate Primary Member
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • CC:ALSAT project leader/sole member >.>
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 30, 2007, 12:41:38 am »
Capoeira is not a real method of fighting; the Wikipedia article and other encyclopedic resources state this plainly. It is a fight-dance. Like Taekwondo, and like every other sodding stupid "martial art" taught in McDojos around the country, it is a formulaic system of physical expression.
wrong. Capoeira was used a method of teaching people to fight under the GUISE of dance.
If you want to fight, you practice and spar. If you want to dance around or become honored for skillful movement of the body in a way consistent with what founders designed years ago, you learn a martial art. Granted, not all are like this. But monkey-style Kung Fu? Capoeira? Half the weird kicks in Taekwondo?
yeah... type the words Capoeira lucha and watch an actually capoeria fight. It looks nothing like the rhodas you assume a capoeira fight consists of.
They're all mostly ritualized, impractical kicks and flinging of limbs for show. Outside using them for your own benefit and practice, most martial "arts" are just that -- art. Not practicality; not pure logic and science.
In Capoeira, the movements are designed to teach you to dodge instead of block, kicks are design to put the added muscle of your legs to Centifigual force applications, and if you DID take a kick from a Capoeirista, there is a GOOD chance you will brake a bone due to the sheer speed and power flying from a  "ritualized, impratical kick." That holds no science. The Au, is designed to get around an opponent, while getting ready to launch an attack to the face. And the whole thing is designed to build upper body strength and to use the legs to destroy an opponent rather then use the hands, all while having fun and developing agility, flexibility, and power in one go.

if you honestly think Capoeira is such a useless style to learn, you've never been hit by a kick from these guys. It's fast, and it knocks you hard.

But what this really boils down to is that in a fight, I would shoot my opponent. There are too many roving "sensei" with a little taste of the McDojos and inferiority complexes on the internet to ever seriously discuss "martial arts."
Pansy with a gun.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 30, 2007, 01:15:58 am »
Capoeira is an African-Brazilian fight-dance and martial art created by enslaved Africans during the 16th Century. Participants form a roda (circle) and take turns playing instruments, singing, and sparring in pairs in the centre of the circle. The game is marked by fluid acrobatic play, feints, subterfuge, and extensive use of groundwork, as well as sweeps, kicks, and headbutts. Technique and strategy are the key elements to playing a good game....Capoeira emerged as a way to resist oppression, secretly practice art, transmit culture, and lift spirits.

The Wikipedia article says nothing -- nothing -- about it having any merit as a real way of fighting.

Well, at least you've proven you're one of those roving "martial arts" idiots on the internet. These people think they're hot because they learned a few moves at a McDojo or consider themselves better than others or elitist because they pursue fighting skills. Guess what? The contenders on UFC and other fighting programs are mostly scum of the earth idiots. These people have no other trade to ply than to physically train so they can bat heads and clash egos. Watch the reality series; they're assholes. The entire "martial arts" "community" is one giant scum sewer supporting crap like this. Martial arts movies are mostly bottom of the barrel grindhouse flicks about cops or other glorified "fighters" getting in with shady organizations or other stupid situations. It is trash culture. This material is right in line with the bottom IMDB 100, filled by movies about dancers or fighters who overcome and exemplified by the failure of You Got Served. It is the trumpeting of physical achievement without theme or intelligence. Bruce Lee and a handful of others managed to help it along to artful status as enjoyed by other works of film and art, but he died, meaning we're back to DMX and Jet Li (with the occasional good, enjoyable Jackie Chan movie). Some of the most idiotic people on the internet are to be found in "martial arts" forums such as the one on Gamefaqs, arguing endlessly that one style is better than the other or boasting of alleged achievements and skills. None of them accept the ground rules:

1. Ritualized methods of fighting are worthless.
2. This is a society of order in which guns afford equality.
3. Most people who learn a "martial art" to act hard and feel privileged are natural cretins.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 01:23:24 am by ZeaLitY »

grey_the_angel

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 30, 2007, 01:49:40 am »
1.) The Rhoda is a non-contact SPARRING GAME. you aren't suppose to hit an opponent, and Regional style is the over down flipping like a hamster shit you're probably thinking of. I know Angola, and frankly, I'd be happy to put this theory of  "martial arts = assholes." to the test.  It does fair more then that, frankly. I have become healther, faster, can flex, and I don't have an ego because of my classes atomsphere. The Rhoda was designed to be a fun way to learn how to dodge, fight, and lift the spirits of the slaves. There's no ego since you don't actually try and pummel the guy like in other sports until you hit a Lucha.

2.) Capoeira LUCHA:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMX9KKzG4-0. These guys would take one solid crack at your head, and put you down hard. Like I said, its speed and power in one move. A boxer fights different from a brawler. A kick boxer will fight different from a boxer. If you think you don't learn anything from studying an art then all you've seen is UFC matches where they basically kick box and wrestle. Mui Thai fighters are trained to fight without padding blows. Kenpo fighters know vital spots. Wrestlers know takedowns, boxers know punches. It DOES matter what style you under take, because it become a strong suit. I like to use my legs and kick. A high speed style like Capoeira Regional works to my advantage by giving added flexablity and power to my kicks, while building core strength (upper arms, chest, back) to support. Some street fighter isn't really going to kick my ass by thinking "oh well, I'm just get him cause thinks he better." I take one solid crack at him with legs that are designed, Trained to do damage like that, he's really going to regret it.

I'm guessing you're assuming "lol Karate" like everybody else, because frankly, that's the only style I've seen where it's not incredibly specific in it AOE. Trust me Zeal, if you assume my legs aren't stronger then anybody else's and I'm just using this as a excuse to show a pride, you're just asking to be knocked out with a single kick. and I've seen it before, so don't I'm just ranting And frankly, calling it some trash thing when so it requires so much hard work is just insulting. To say something like "I'mma just pull a gun." shows you're no better then those pussy ass rappers or anybody else. Anybody can use gun. But you physically take a person out without trying to kill them? That where the pride is. That I know this. I know I do need it.

3.) don't use an EDITABLE MEDIUM as backup. Wikipedia is extremely dis-credible, and a lot of professors in college and university levels tell you not to rely on it as all information can be alter on belief alone.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 04:13:47 am by grey_the_angel »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 30, 2007, 04:42:05 am »
I was asked to look at this thread in my mod capacity...

Grey, I think your proclamation of having shed you ego has turned out to be premature. Play nice with ZeaLitY, or you'll hurt his feelings. As for you, Z, don't truck out the "idiot" word so fast. You're the host around these parts; be more gracious.

I'm not going to pretend I know the first thing about any martial art. Whatever I might know is eclipsed by a speck of dirt on the ground. But as a lay observer, I think there is room for a good discussion here. So put your best face forward, and carry on.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 30, 2007, 01:38:28 pm »
I'm not continuing this. I've been here before, and it all revolves around what style one hotshot thinks is better than the others. His refusal to recognize firearms as superior and stance that this sort of thing is something to take pride in seal my case. Quod erat demonstrandum.

grey_the_angel

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 30, 2007, 02:47:46 pm »
I'm not continuing this. I've been here before, and it all revolves around what style one hotshot thinks is better than the others. His refusal to recognize firearms as superior and stance that this sort of thing is something to take pride in seal my case. Quod erat demonstrandum.
You're right zeal: I'm never going to admit a weapon that takes lives is superior. Never.

Magus068

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Speak the truth, even it leads to your death!
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 01, 2007, 10:55:25 am »
Check this out....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bo-ZRb1Edg

This vid is not for the faint of heart.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 01, 2007, 11:57:01 pm »
My god, I'm at a loss for words.

but2002

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Death Omen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 02, 2007, 12:52:01 am »

grey_the_angel

• View Profile

grey_the_angel

• View Profile

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 05, 2007, 09:57:46 pm »
Storm season has come. The idea of a feeling in the air that belies storms is romantic, but...living here, it seems partially true. Outside, one can ascertain from the warm air blowing, the clouds, and the wind that something's brewing. Lo and behold, check the attachment; I was right! Those are some monster storms. 80 VIL is INSANE, and 60 level DBZ is as well. These are huge freaking storms, and there are already tornado warnings.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 05, 2007, 10:07:09 pm »
Yeah, no shit...we had one of those same storms thrown rain and lightning around for hours--scaring the hell out of my dumb, wimpy, but loveable Golden Retriever and making our other dog laugh at the Retriver--not to mention dumping a crapload of snow that's sitting out there right now. More's on the way too...and this is packed snow, so it's not going anywhere for a while yet. It bothers us especially because we were going to head on our weekly grocery trip today but were stuck at home...while we certainly have a lot of canned goods and whatnot, we're very low on milk, eggs, and other such staples.

Luckily, I doubt this'll keep us at home for more than a day or so at most...we've had far worse in the past.