Author Topic: The "WTF? Check this link out!" thread!  (Read 268372 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: The "WTF? Check this link out!" thread!
« Reply #150 on: March 30, 2007, 08:41:10 pm »
THEY CALL HIM MACHETE

I probably won't see Grindhouse, but damn, Machete rules. Like other fans, upon seeing the trailer I craved to see a true movie. Rodriguez is planning to release a feature Machete film as a direct to DVD release, but if the buzz is any indication, he'll hopefully get some theater play too.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 06, 2007, 11:21:55 pm »
Tokugawa lives!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokugawa_Yoshitomo

I'm always pleased to find out if living descendants of important historical figures are still around. There you go, the genuine Tokugawa of our age!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 08, 2007, 12:24:10 am »
This image makes me weep for humanity:

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 08, 2007, 12:36:52 am »
This image makes me weep for humanity:

That is sad indeed...but not surprising. Given that most of those online universites are merely playing people for fools anyway and sell degrees rather than allow you to earn them, it doesn't shock me that they'd try to play to MMO gamers interests. Of course it fails miserably, but that's to be expected.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 08, 2007, 03:30:21 pm »
$3.5 million for a damned violin. This is the point where science should step in and design an acoustically superior violin which can be mass produced at low cost. In an arena where skill determines the best, there should not be inequality due to one person's ability to buy a superior instrument.

That hoity-toity article makes Americans out to be a bunch of retarded oafs with deaf ears to classical music; while that may have merit, the article performs a test in the worse context. The author should have been much more observant of our principle of time. In Peru, one can dawdle and be thirty minutes late to work or meetings. In America, appointments are still crisply held. What did they expect? The whole publication seems to have some kind of "better than you" attitude, overtly presented in the implied "pearls before swine" reference. What a waste of paper. It's like some kind of Nelson "ha-ha" jab at those who don't work in conservatories.

No, I'm not defending the sacred working man or America. But I am saying that if I were on my way to work, I would not have stopped because I wouldn't have had time. And in this editor's eyes, I therefore would be less of a person when it comes to valuing good music. Well, the hell with that.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 03:39:23 pm by ZeaLitY »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 08, 2007, 04:02:58 pm »
Eh, why do I sound so confrontational...maybe I'm just not partial to an elite club of classical musicians.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 08, 2007, 04:06:22 pm »
I find the elitism expressed by many classical musicians quite distasteful as well. I personally enjoy quite a great deal of classical music, as well as many other genres, usually those with heavy instrumentals, such as hard rock, or big band jazz, yet I am often looked down upon by classical musicians because of such like. I do not understand such elitism...it is foolish.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #158 on: April 08, 2007, 04:10:27 pm »
Not all classical musicians are like that, which is nice. After the More Friends concert in L.A., I saw some of the musicians out on the City Walk and we had a nice little conversation about the show. They weren't familiar with the music from playing the games, but didn't look down on the music because of its source.

Ramsus

« Reply #159 on: April 08, 2007, 05:52:46 pm »
Sure, the real reason most people didn't stop is that in a world of crowds and tight schedules, people are too focused on their own lives to notice the world around them. In large crowds of strangers, the only way to get from point A to point B is to ignore everyone else, so you don't have to get involved in anything unexpected. If he had been in the middle of a mall, where there's always someone just killing time, there would have been an instant crowd.

However, the reason more of those who actually pay $1000 to go to concerts and listen to world-renoun classical musicians perform didn't stop and notice was that they only ever went to any concert to flatter their own idea of themselves as an individual of high tastes, much as the article writer probably does.

And that's why, with all the people rushing by, they didn't even get a small crowd. It's shocking to those who believe people actually have taste, but for those of us who see right through the image game, it's about what we'd expect.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 06:53:42 pm by Ramsus »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 08, 2007, 06:02:18 pm »
I see your point, now that the image of those trendy aficionados is present.

Ramsus

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 08, 2007, 08:46:25 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAkTpceAi6s

...evil...pure evil...and to think I intended to purchase a few Cadbury Creme Eggs tomorrow when they were marked down...

Ramsus

« Reply #163 on: April 08, 2007, 08:52:14 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN1kBxOW6k0

Anyone know what this is from? It's hilarious.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 08, 2007, 09:00:44 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN1kBxOW6k0

Anyone know what this is from? It's hilarious.
Daily Show, Late Late Show, whatever Conan O'Brian's show is called...obviously a parody of some sort but quite the good one.