Author Topic: The "WTF? Check this link out!" thread!  (Read 268338 times)

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
Re: The "WTF? Check this link out!" thread!
« Reply #1275 on: December 31, 2008, 12:00:41 am »
Us here Mom and Pa diners are know for our amazing cuisine!

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: December 31, 2008, 03:58:49 pm »
I guess we need an advertising area. I posted that in this area due to the lack of one.

Ramsus

« Reply #1277 on: December 31, 2008, 04:18:10 pm »
I guess we need an advertising area. I posted that in this area due to the lack of one.

Why does anyone need to advertise here? About the only people who'd benefit from it are the fan project leaders, and Kajar Labs is already the perfect place to advertise their projects.

I think you haven't completely thought this advertising business through.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #1278 on: December 31, 2008, 04:21:29 pm »
Advertising is pointless. If we wanted someone to specifically join, we could PM them. In fact, most of the Compendium probably doesn't care. If you see someone likes Kingdom Hearts, PM them. I'm not saying post "So I herd Yu Liek Kingdom Herts?" On every Forum, just think about how to lower your post count and annoyance factor.

Ramsus

« Reply #1279 on: January 01, 2009, 02:56:18 pm »
Actually, the best way to attract other members from the forums you frequent is to put a nice little banner in your signature that links to your own forum. That way, it catches the eye of the curious. Even then, you might get only a handful of new members over the course of a year's worth of posting at a site like this one, but that's more than you'd get otherwise, even if you blatantly advertised by posting new topics about it.

Instead of a place like this, your best bet is to find a forum or community with a large number of active users and a high turnover (i.e. people are always coming and going). That's about the only place blatantly advertising your site can have a positive effect, but the method mentioned above also becomes several times more effective, making it worthwhile if you want to attract members.

Really though, unless your forums cover something a bit more broad like a hobby (cars, computers, video games, cosplay, rom hacking, etc.) or some industry or trade (computer programming, sales and marketing, truck driving, running a bar, acting, etc.), chances are your forum won't attract a lot of people by virtue of being just a forum. You'll always be fighting an uphill battle just to get people to join.

I mean, if Z and I had just went and made a Chrono Series forum, it would've died a long time ago in obscurity. Nobody goes to Google looking for a Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross forum, and if anyone saw a link for such a thing somewhere, they probably wouldn't have bothered looking.

The only reason this forum has members is because it functions as a part of the site. Without the site, there would almost never be any new members, and the forums would eventually stagnate and disappear, like every other Chrono fansite that stopped updating or removed their content and just left their forums running, or even like VGMix after they decided to drop everything and rewrite it from scratch.

And even with the site, the only reason we had an edge over the competition at the time is because the Wiki-backend made it a hundred times easier for us to create and edit our content, so we could update faster and more often. That eventually turned us into both an active hub and a giant archive for anything Chrono-related, which in turn kept the forums going even after all the analysis discussion died down.

Of course, now we benefit a lot from the "last man standing" effect, but you get the idea.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: January 02, 2009, 10:59:27 pm »
I love the Dissidia mix ofTo Zanarkand. I don'
t ;like how they went all metalish with Don't Be Afraid, though... (Even though I love metal.)

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1282 on: January 03, 2009, 05:23:40 am »
Me too, To Zanarkand's just as beautiful as ever.

I'm not overly fond of metal, but I guess I'm just used to Takeharu Ishimoto's (Crisis Core's composer) music by now and it works so great in-game.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: January 04, 2009, 04:55:52 pm »
Actually, the best way to attract other members from the forums you frequent is to put a nice little banner in your signature that links to your own forum.

Couple of slight probs with that. Size and space. Not necessarily in that order.

*glances at Tact and the other mods nervously*

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: January 04, 2009, 05:30:35 pm »
Actually, the best way to attract other members from the forums you frequent is to put a nice little banner in your signature that links to your own forum.

Couple of slight probs with that. Size and space. Not necessarily in that order.

*glances at Tact and the other mods nervously*
What dimensions(height x width) are you talking here? Btw, Tact is only a Mod in the RP section.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: January 04, 2009, 09:16:41 pm »
What dimensions(height x width) are you talking here? Btw, Tact is only a Mod in the RP section.

When I get PMs back I'll send you the banners I want to use.

Btw, Tact is only a Mod in the RP section.

Also sig police (no offense just joking), since when I got the original CC stat pic (the final version is my current sig) and added a pic and was able to keep them both on the same line, it was still too big, which raised my eyebrow after that pic was removed since it wasn't any smaller vertically but still got approved after the second pic got removed. Maybe it looked bigger on his browser. IDK and IDC, I got it all worked out.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 09:19:54 pm by Shadow D. Darkman »

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: January 04, 2009, 10:12:02 pm »
General etiquette would tell one that a sig should be no taller than 300px(and technically no wider than 500px for dialup users). There is no need for "sig police", because that is a matter of personal courtesy. If it exceeds this amount, generally people will be unrested and annoyed. Besides, look at where your inconsiderate prose has gotten you -- a rank of FAIL. So take others, beside yourself, into consideration before acting.

On another note, I think you're getting the wrong idea with me asking the dimensions of your sig. I was referring to the preposterous nature of a sig needing to be larger than said dimensions, not offering my services -- it's a little rude to assume that I will make a banner for you no questions asked. However, because I was working with Photoshop today anyways, I produced something quick and small.

N.B. Rehost it because I'll be removing it from my archive on Tuesday.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: January 05, 2009, 09:36:53 am »
My reason for wanting to PM the logos to you was that I didn't want to make a big post in this thread. That would be more annoying than wanting PMs back (which I am more than willing to wait for if that's the way it has to be) just to send you a few pics.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1288 on: January 05, 2009, 11:13:15 pm »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile