Author Topic: Dialogue Thread  (Read 5754 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Dialogue Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2006, 04:01:37 pm »
Use this:

Have you noticed the absence of a true synonym for dreams?

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2006, 10:44:31 am »
The Zeal Healing Square name should be changed to "Spring of Recovery", that's how it's called in CT. The term "healing square" could still be kept in addition to the name though, just so that people don't think it's an actual water spring.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2006, 08:44:16 pm »
Quote from: Script
Stipendium igni Zeal mors est...{line break}
Igne natura renovatur integra!{null}

My Latin eyes picked up on this. But... what does it mean? I had trouble translating. I know the words, or I think I do, but unless I'm mistaken, they don't seem right.
Stipendium is a tribute, either probably in the accusative. Igni is fire in the dative. Zeal is probably the subject, and it seems to me that 'mors est' is supposed to be an apposition (ie. Zeal is dead) - however, mors means not 'dead' but 'death'. In this case, 'dead' would be the adjective mortuss, morta, mortum - depending on the gender of Zeal. Assuming a feminine, it would probably read more like 'Zeal est morta.' Still can't figure the Stipendium igni, though. What was it meant to read?
The second line... what's Igne? If it is meant to be 'burn', that is ignesce. Unless it is commanding nature to burn something, it should be 'naturam', as the object. Or, if renovatur is the verb (ie. renew), then I can't figure out what conjugation it is. Is it 'renew entire nature by fire'? Then 'igne' works as an ablative. I'm guessing this is what it means, right? It would probably be closer to 'integram naturam igne renovate.' Just a guess, though.

My personal opinion on things like this is that Latin is used too often. One option would be to use Greek, but that's a harsh language, and would probably sound out of context. Best bet? I would ask Legend of the Past to translate it into Hebrew. You've already given the spell a more Eastern sounding name. I think you should remain with that feeling. At least Hebrew is Semitic.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2006, 11:40:54 pm »
I messaged him on Chronicles. The first was an adaptation of some quote to mean "The reward for zeal is death." The second, I honestly can't remember.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2006, 03:09:49 am »
In that case, I think the first would have been... Stipendium Zeali mortuum est.

Anyway, I stand by what I said with the Hebrew. Hopefully Legend gets back to you.