Author Topic: RPGMaker Question  (Read 1387 times)

Ale of Valhalla

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
RPGMaker Question
« on: July 13, 2006, 01:07:44 am »
I'm new to event coding, and I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to help me with something. Can anybody tell me how to make a cutscene sort of thing that occurs right in the beginning of the game? Like, you press New Game, and it just plays right away without starting you off with player control? Like an intro basically.
Thanks in advance!

Daniel Krispin

Re: RPGMaker Question
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 08:17:50 pm »
I'm new to event coding, and I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to help me with something. Can anybody tell me how to make a cutscene sort of thing that occurs right in the beginning of the game? Like, you press New Game, and it just plays right away without starting you off with player control? Like an intro basically.
Thanks in advance!

Hmmm... let's see. Well, you have to start off with a player, as far as I know, but you can remove it almost instantly. Essentially, if you want to remove player control, add an event to the first map, and have the trigger for the event be on 'auto start'. That sequence of events will take priority, and I don't think it will allow you to do anything until it's completed. To remove the hero sprite, moreover, just make it invisible. To disable the auto-started event (because it will continue looping) end it by making it turn on a switch. Make a second page for the event that is blank, and have its prerequesite be that that switch is on. That way, it will only play through once. That's how I'd do it. Also, if you want more than one map, you only need that last thing on the last event. Before that, just end each event by teleporting to the next map, and making certain that the events governing there are auto-start ones as well. It should work - I had a 'trailer' sort of like that once. Oh, and make certain to make the hero opaque again at the end if you made him translucent before.

Ale of Valhalla

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 10:47:19 pm »
Thanks a lot!  :D

Ale of Valhalla

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 12:44:49 am »
Your idea works! Yay! But just one thing(There's ALWAYS something, isn't there?). After the scene, which consists basically of a character coming up to the hero and talking to him, then leaving the screen, I can't regain control of the hero. He's immovable. I checked for a "Disable/Enable Control" event, but I couldn't anything. Any ideas?

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 08:31:01 am »
I never use autostart.  It always did stupid stuff.  I put parallel processing i think

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 12:38:02 pm »
If you know how to use auto start, then I works like a charm. :wink:

If you don't however, it screws up your game tenfold.

deniz2099

• Porrean (+50)
  • What's mine is mine... I want you to be MINE..!
    • View Profile
    • Anti - System Of A Down
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 01:47:20 pm »
i mostly use autostart for making a prologue for the game  :lol: . i use it sometimes.

Ale of Valhalla

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 05:44:15 pm »
Everything works perfectly except for being able to move. You can open the menu and whatnot, you just can't go up, down, left, or right.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 10:41:17 pm »
A good idea would be to set a switch on the auto-event so it doesn't start back up. Then just have the end of the auto-event send you back to the same exact location so you should regain control of the character.

ultramarine

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 10:46:54 pm »
Why don't you just make an autostart event which deletes itself once it does everything you want?
And for the character thing, you could also just start the game with a Hero that has NO sprite and later change the hero sprite to what you want.

But for the moving, did you check the passability of the tileset?

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 11:40:46 pm »
Everything I could think of has been mentioned, ie. passability of the tileset and ending an auto-started event. Wait... here could be something else. Sometimes it can freeze things if an event is supposed to move (ie. the character that leaves the screen), but you set him to go too far, and his last few steps are frozen. In other words, he's supposed to go twenty steps away, but the screen only allows for fifteen. It'll keep trying to do those five and freeze it up. There's a way of getting around it, but I can't quite remember. Just make certain not to have the 'repeat action' option activated, that could be one thing. There's also, I think... let me see... there we go. Click the 'ignore impossible moves' box in the 'move event' string. That could help as well, and it won't matter then if you give him a hundred or two hundred steps. I think this last one, if the first two ideas others suggested don't work, will be your solution.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 01:03:40 am »
Out of curiosity, Daniel, does your familiarity with RPG Maker have a game to go with it?

Ale of Valhalla

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 01:25:58 am »
The tileset is passable. I never actually thought about just deleting the event after it ends. Basically, the game starts, and you can't move, and this guy walks up to you and talks for a bit, then asks you to follow him, and he walks away(You still can't move) and he leaves the screen, then you SHOULD regain control, but that's where it won't work. I think it might be because the way I have the guy leave the screen, is that he walks the right amount of steps to the edge, and when he reaches the edge, the sprite changes from him to just blank, so it looks like he disapears, but really he's still there, meaning the event never really ends, so you can't move. That's what I think.