Author Topic: Is there a way to make a new overworld\time period without overwriting another?  (Read 2657 times)

Kerta_Losataure

• Iokan (+1)
  • Paradoxes R Us
    • View Profile
This problem has been killing me for almost a week now. I've been trying to find a way to make a new overworld map and time period without erasing the existing ones. I've just about given up on it and it looks like I finally have to resort to human interaction to find out. Is there any way to do this? I need to know before I lose any more sleep by trying.

If there isn't any way I'll just go and erase 12,000BC.

Vargose

• Chrono Trigger Threads of Time
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
No. Overwriting is pretty much the name of the game with almost everything.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 11:20:22 am by Vargose »

Kerta_Losataure

• Iokan (+1)
  • Paradoxes R Us
    • View Profile
Thanks for the help. Kiss 12000BC and Zeal goodbye... again...

joemomma

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
mmwaa... .......goodbye wonderful Zeal, wait you can exspand your rom? and you can make a new location map, so why in the hell cant you make an OW map?

Kerta_Losataure

• Iokan (+1)
  • Paradoxes R Us
    • View Profile
I spent fifteen hours at two inches from my monitor trying to add it. I dont think that power is in Temporal Flux. I should whine until it is...

uzerzero

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Isn't ROM expanding one of the features that they're trying to add into Temporal Flux in the next release? The only problem is that you'd need an emulator that could handle the extra memory, and if you're going to go that far, you might as well create a whole new system and call it the Super Fan NES, or Super Expanded Rom NES.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
I'm pretty sure tf can expand the rom already...Unless your using the older version of TF >_>.  But yeah, adding new OW would be highly unlikely. ><

but2002

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Death Omen.
    • View Profile
If the game takes place Before CT,  Destroy Lost Village

If after, Destroy 12,000 B.C. and Zeal

Kerta_Losataure

• Iokan (+1)
  • Paradoxes R Us
    • View Profile
Thanks for the words of wisdom and sarcasm. All of 12,000 BC is expendable to my plans. I just have to go through and clear out the old data now.

Geiger

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Geiger's Crypt
The way the data is organized in the ROM, there is only room for eight overworlds.  But, without looking into it deeper, I cannot imagine why it would not be possible to have up to 16 overworlds if you wanted to do some assembly hacking and data re-organizing.

---T.Geiger

VinceIP

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Any ROM can be expanded, as long as you know where to organize the data. There's no reason an emulator couldn't handle it, or any regular SNES.

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
It's possible to create new overworld maps. I just added one a few minutes ago. Sometime this summer, I read a document on repointing enemy AI scripts in FF6. In ASM code of the SNES, the value BF appears to be involved in loading pointers. So I changed the pointer location of the overworld data and added on a new pointer to the new location. I filled in the location of the new overworld data with 1000 AD's and I was able to go to the new map ingame.

Edit-The place where it loads the pointers set is 2275B. The original data should be BF 00 FD C6.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 03:47:15 pm by Vehek »

uzerzero

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
There's at least eight slots for adding overworlds. You'd just have to figure out a way to draw a map and point it to there.

Vargose

• Chrono Trigger Threads of Time
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
No. Overwriting is pretty much the name of the game with almost everything.
It's possible to create new overworld maps. I just added one a few minutes ago. Sometime this summer, I read a document on repointing enemy AI scripts in FF6. In ASM code of the SNES, the value BF appears to be involved in loading pointers. So I changed the pointer location of the overworld data and added on a new pointer to the new location. I filled in the location of the new overworld data with 1000 AD's and I was able to go to the new map ingame.

Edit-The place where it loads the pointers set is 2275B. The original data should be BF 00 FD C6.

Vehek is right; I spoke to soon. To edit the map you could switch the pointers with a map TF can already edit. Make your changes and then switch them back when your done. I think that might work.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 03:34:57 pm by Vargose »