Author Topic: Playing around with some SPC code in ROMs is fun!  (Read 21147 times)

Geiger

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Geiger's Crypt
Re: Playing around with some SPC code in ROMs is fun!
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2006, 07:12:14 am »
Decisive Battle was quite good and actually sounded like it belonged in Chrono Trigger.  I could easily see it being a "special fight" song.

Searching for Friends was also well done, but it still sounds like a Final Fantasy VI track.  For it to really work, I think the song would have to be rewritten to use the military march present in several Chrono songs (such as Determination).  I would be interested in hearing this song reinterpreted as a Chrono Trigger track, but I think it is beyond the bounds of our current SPC understanding.

---T.Geiger

JCE3000GT

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • BlitzKrieg Innovations
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2006, 12:32:21 pm »
Decisive Battle was quite good and actually sounded like it belonged in Chrono Trigger.  I could easily see it being a "special fight" song.

Searching for Friends was also well done, but it still sounds like a Final Fantasy VI track.  For it to really work, I think the song would have to be rewritten to use the military march present in several Chrono songs (such as Determination).  I would be interested in hearing this song reinterpreted as a Chrono Trigger track, but I think it is beyond the bounds of our current SPC understanding.

---T.Geiger

Thanks for the compliments.  I'm still thinking on what to do with Searching for Friends...it's still too much incomplete for my tastes.  I stll have quite a few FF6 tracks to import to CT before I'm completely satistfied.  I'm also in the process of trying to see if I can replace FF6's main SPC core with CT's so I can import CT songs into FF6.  So far it's been quite a failure, but I won't give up--at least not yet.  I might just have to rewrite some CT SPCs myself to get them fully functional in FF6.  But it's not terribly important for me to have CT SPCs in FF6, RS3 maybe but not FF6.   8) 

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2006, 12:54:50 pm »
Crud, I wish the SNESAmp editing stuff didn't appear totally off the screen when I activate it. A sliver appears below the top of my monitor, and I can't move it down. Probably Windows 98 compatability problem or something.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2006, 01:11:24 pm »
I'm still trying to test to see if i can get tales of phantasia songs into CT.  I'm sure it's probably compatible it's just we're not finding the right data.

JCE3000GT

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • BlitzKrieg Innovations
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2006, 03:55:43 pm »
I'm still trying to test to see if i can get tales of phantasia songs into CT.  I'm sure it's probably compatible it's just we're not finding the right data.

If you want I can try and see what I can do--PM me with what info you have and I'll try and get to it on one of my off days.  Keep in mind that Chrono Trigger's drum loops are all out of wack compaired to ANY SFC/SNES ROM that I've come across.  I've never seen a game that uses it's drums like CT does--it's not compatible with just about any ROM I've tried--have no idea why either.  It's not even backwards compatible with RS3 which shocks me--I imported a CT track into RS3 and everything worked fine except for the drums.   :?  In the meantime I'm going to code my little VB app to change around the instruments for all of the SPCs in; FF6, CT, RS3, Radical Dreamers, Dynami Tracer, Treasure Conflix, and probably one more game.  As well as release to the public my notes/offsets to what I've found in the non-FF6/CT games when I release my VB app.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2006, 05:26:09 pm »
The data is hard to find.  Maybe the SPC data is compressed or something so we can't get the actual data except just instrument data. =/

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2006, 06:09:50 pm »
If you ever find the time...Shinrin made a Cyan's theme .spc, but so far, the transition to CT's instruments seems pretty rough. I've experimented too, but I could never get anything better than his.

JCE3000GT

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • BlitzKrieg Innovations
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2006, 10:41:57 pm »
If you ever find the time...Shinrin made a Cyan's theme .spc, but so far, the transition to CT's instruments seems pretty rough. I've experimented too, but I could never get anything better than his.

I wanted to do it and the Battle theme from FF6 but since someone else did it I wouldn't want to just step right in and go for it.  lol   8)  I'll see what I can do with Cyan's theme. 

Vargose

• Chrono Trigger Threads of Time
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2006, 04:41:46 pm »
I have been having trouble getting Gale from Radical Dreamers to sound right in CT if you want to take a stab at it.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2006, 05:47:48 pm »
Maybe you didn't get all the data from it.  I kinda figured out that if you don't have all the data then the instruments won't change.

JCE3000GT

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • BlitzKrieg Innovations
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2006, 10:08:37 pm »
I have been having trouble getting Gale from Radical Dreamers to sound right in CT if you want to take a stab at it.

I'll give it a try, just not immediately.  I have alot of life problems I have to solve before I do ANYTHING recreation related.

Vargose

• Chrono Trigger Threads of Time
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2006, 12:04:14 pm »
JCE3000GT, I have also been trying to track down the repeat command in the SPC code. To make songs that normal don't repeat, actually repeat in the game like determination in CT. I was hoping that you might be able to help find it.

JCE3000GT

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • BlitzKrieg Innovations
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2006, 01:01:01 am »
You have to rewrite the SPC to contain the loop code for each channel.  I haven't 100% got this working yet.  Determination is actually the song I was testing with.   8)  I don't have my computer even hooked up and available for me to get back into my projects.  It might be about a month or more before I'll be able to return to normal operations.  Good luck.   :)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2006, 01:19:27 pm »
Did anyone back these up? They're down at his server.

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2006, 08:33:24 pm »
I downloaded the FF6-into-CT ones, but unfortunately, none of the others.  :(

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 08:42:16 pm by Vehek »