Author Topic: The Glenn Thread  (Read 24621 times)

Vargose

• Chrono Trigger Threads of Time
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
The Glenn Thread
« on: July 10, 2006, 12:17:31 pm »
Playable thy name is soon to be Glenn. Thanks to Vehek, I have been working on sprite assembly. This weekend I started working on replacing frog with Glenn. I pasted glenn's graphics over frog's and I built two 4x4 frames of sprite assembly. I just made two frames as a test. His facing up frame, and one of his battle frames. I included pictures below. Both worked great. The process of building a frame isn't that tough once you get the hang of it. Keep this on the down low.

[attachment deleted by admin]

JP Addition: 

Eventually we'll need to port this sucker over to a fresh ROM i'm going to put some things I've changed:

Applied Veheks Sprite Location Patch:
00E695       4    No     00000005-0000000D        9
24F540      94    No     0000000E-000000A6       99

Repoint Glenn's Graphics:

24200C (3 byes)

Change Palette:

I'm not convinced on the "offset"

24005E (correctional)  24 bytes

Sprite Assembly

1C7490

« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 03:52:40 am by jsondag2 »

Vargose

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Re: The Glenn Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 12:19:26 pm »
Big news......huge news......We'll need a spriter, shout out if you want the job.

--jp

I'll take a stab at it.  I may not finish it all.  But it's worth a shot.  It'll be kinda fun.  Just tell me what to do.

This is awesome. In that second picture Glenn fits so well with Crono and Lucca... It sounds so natural to have him in human form hanging around... This will be really fantastic when he'll have all his animation frames.

I don't know if I'm playing Mr Obvious or not, but note that Schala's spriteset was in the making some times ago also. It seems Oswego Del Fuego didn't finish it but it's almost complete: http://www.angelfire.com/moon/dandymasher/schala.html

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 12:28:35 pm »
This thread will be used to keep us updated on what will hopefully end with a Playable Glenn.

We will need a sprite sheet for him.  We are going to have to move it to unused space near the end of the ROM because Frog does not have enough space for his graphics. 

As for techs we'll probably change slurp cut to rope cut.....slurp....I dont know....
Frog Squash will be Dragon Summon.

We'll also need a human Glenn Portrait.

That's all I can think of for now.  This is definately going to take awhile so let out all of your excitement now.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

--jp

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 12:39:13 pm »
XD!  Here's a walk animation we may be able to use.  I'll update it later on.

(Normal size)  (Seems small doens't it -.-)
(x2 size) (What it may look like in ct)

What do you think?

Edit: Here's the frames for ya Vargose

« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 01:06:37 pm by justin3009 »

Vargose

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 01:03:33 pm »
The trick is we'll need Glenn doing similar things as Frog. Frog's sprite sheet and the CT Character Library rom should help with this. Jsondag is building a test room for us aswell.

http://www.chronocompendium.com/images/wiki/b/b1/Frog_sprites.gif

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 01:08:37 pm »
You can change slurp to Cure 1.  Just change the whole tech itself.  Just make it seem like since he's human he has the normal human techs.

Edit: We got a process now.  I won't go on until he gives me the sign to.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 01:12:39 pm by justin3009 »

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 01:14:37 pm »
As for techs we'll probably change slurp cut to rope cut.....slurp....I dont know....
Frog Squash will be Dragon Summon.
Why Dragon? Dragons are the enemies of the humans, it sounds strange...

It'd be cool to put Nirvana Strike, but the name is too long and it wouldn't fit the dual and triple techs... Mmh, maybe something like "FrogNirvana"? Glenn strikes at the enemies multiple times while some little frogs rain all over (we could use the animation for Poyozo Dance). Just throwing ideas.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 01:29:59 pm »
Well what we are doing isn't really "tech editing" it's more changing the Frog graphic that comes down......we could turn it into a bunch of little frogs.....but I think making it some sort of summon would be better.  I was just thiinking FF6 summons where they would just fly through and do damage.

--jp

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 02:02:18 pm »
Yeah but a dragon seems strange considering CC... Then again, it's hard to think of something frog-related which would be stronger-looking than the big frog there already is... Perhaps a big Masamune creature could be good? It would be it whether Glenn has the sword equiped or not though... but let's say that unlike Serge's Masamune creature, this one is really Glenn's inner creation, not Masa and Mune's (explaining why the creature would appear even if the Masamune sword isn't there).

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 02:03:36 pm »
For Nirvana strike you can put N.Strike

Also, he's not a frog anymore.  So who says he has to have anything with a giant frog in it?  Give him some other tech or something.  If there's any super techs for water >_>.  Or remove the tech all together

Kinda makes me wonder if we can add more techs then what they have...Anyways on with the topic.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 05:57:50 pm by justin3009 »

Vargose

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 10:30:45 am »
I did another two frames last night. His facing down frame and one of his walking frames. I found that some frames arrange the tiles differently, so I will have to examine the last 8 bytes of the sprite assembly data.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 10:53:50 am by Vargose »

Shinrin

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • Chrono Trigger Fan # 100
    • View Profile
    • Shinrin Cole
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 12:40:52 pm »
Sometimes you have to use an unheader rom for some of these patches.. if you are, try using a header version.

Vargose

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2006, 10:27:19 am »
Vehek helped me confirm that the last 8 bytes are the X/Y positions of the four 4-tile groups. This explains why some of the frames arrange the tiles differently.

Vargose

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 10:19:56 am »
I have gotten all of Glenn's standing frames done. Doing these has really helped me figure out the basics. Here is the patch.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2006, 08:48:25 pm »
Here's the roomm you wanted (sorry it took so long).

It'll take you straight to the room it needs to and there's 22 Frogs in there.  It slightly glitches as you walk through but it should serve your purpose.

just thought people would like to see what is done so far so I added a pic.  Note that I'm loading the Frog PC not the Glenn NPC

--jp

« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 08:53:34 pm by jsondag2 »