Poll

Should the main hero of CP, Iridion, be a silent protoganist?

Yes, stick to the Chrono tradition
4 (50%)
No, I'd like to see some personality
2 (25%)
No, but he should only speak at points very important to the plot
2 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Chrono Prism - Poll No.1  (Read 918 times)

Ale of Valhalla

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Chrono Prism - Poll No.1
« on: July 10, 2006, 05:13:04 am »
This is the first in a series of polls I'll be doing for my game Chrono Prism. For info on that, see my other thread called "Chrono Prism - A Chrono Fan Sequel"      (http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php?topic=2989.msg53001#new)

I really want the fans to have a say in this, so that the game is to their liking. Anyway this poll is just what it says. Should Iridion be an SP?

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Prism - Poll No.1
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 04:22:22 pm »
I think he should only speak at an important point in the story, like when someone close to him dies.

Ale of Valhalla

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 06:58:02 pm »
Something I forgot to add is that I will keep this poll open until I get about 15-20 votes.

joemomma

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 07:19:27 pm »
I'm sayin is you want a hero he needs some balls that go clink-a-dee clink-clink.. he doesn't need to speak at all he can exspress his feelings by a blade, or 45 DEagle what ever it is keep the chrono spirit alive. (Besides could you really call it a Chrono Sequel without the entity of it all?)

Ale of Valhalla

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 11:14:08 pm »
Crono and a DEagle? Hmmm...

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 01:24:59 am »
No. The thing is, Crono and Serge aren't silent per say, either. The replies of others make that apparent. The only reason that they remain silent is because the player is meant to fill in what is said in their own mind, giving them a variable personality... after a fashion (of course, their actions still dictate their core personalities. I should say, rather, their demeanour.) Anyway, I would say that at this point, it being a fan-sequel, it would be more interesting to see a character that speaks. However, you could make them truly laconic. Either they, or some other one, speak rarely. Yes, I know, that's been done before, too... but almost everything's been done before. One must keep that in mind - true originality almost never exists, unless one wishes to got to absurd lengths to attain it. Thus, the trick is merely picking the least cliche cliches, and making the best Frankenstine monster you possibly can out of what's been done before. That goes into this as well. Personally, I said he should talk - it's been done a lot in the Chrono series. However, if you can do that well, sure, do it. This sort of thing is very hard to judge without seeing the results. When it comes right down to it it's not what's being done, but how it's done, that matters. Good ideas can be terribly executed, or bad-seeming ideas can work to perfection.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 11:22:44 am »
I think that if you make him silent, you should at least make him expressive, through the commentaries of the other characters, and through his actions and sprite animations. Maybe even flashbacks. Serge was pretty rigid but at least he had those flashbacks and visions. On a 2D game, this should be easier to do. Make a LOT of sprite animations for his emotions. I prefer a silent protagonist like this than a robot-parrot or a bad comedian speaking obvious and uninteresting sentences.

Of course, that's if you make him silent. If you make him speak and give him a true personality, this could be great also (think about Serge in RD).

Ale of Valhalla

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 04:44:00 pm »
You brought up a good point '99. You see, I have no spriting experience whatsoever, and all the sprites(Save Schala) are just being made with charas-project.net. So it may be hard for me to have a lot of physically-conveyed emotions.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 05:00:22 pm »
There's chibi version of Crono and team for rm2k3.  I could host the file if you want.  I'm not sure who made them as there was no credits =/

Ale of Valhalla

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 10:50:20 pm »
Actually I downloaded something similar(Maybe it was the same thing), but thanks for the offer. Crono and co. aren't in it anyway. It's Schala and then some original characters.