Author Topic: Chrono Prism - A Chrono Fan Sequel  (Read 1908 times)

Ale of Valhalla

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Chrono Prism - A Chrono Fan Sequel
« on: July 06, 2006, 04:49:30 am »
I, like many others before me, have started a fan game. My game is called Chrono Prism, and it's being made using RPGMaker. It starts after Schala gets sucked into a vortex when the Red Knife is put into the Mammon Machine. She lands in (EDIT:)13,000 B.C., 1,000 years before her time. She goes on an adventure looking for her home time, meeting and helping and fighting many beings along the way. It all leads eventually to Schala's merge with Lavos into the Time Devourer, thus cueing Chrono Cross.

The game feaures so far: 5 unique time periods(Not including 12,000 B.C.), 6 playabale characters, one of which is optionally unlocked(a la Vincent of FFVII), various weapons, armor, helmets, accessories, and a new armor type called bracers, armor tabs to raise your defense, many cool techs, what I hope will end up to be an enjoyable and moving story, and, though you probably figured this out already, the inclusion of Schala. Here's a little teaser. It's the face sprites of three of the original characters. From left to right they are: Blind, Holly, and Iridion.

If the pictures above do not show, please use this:
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8292/faces24pi.png

I admit to not knowing much in the way of event coding in RPG Maker, but I have dedicated myself to learning it, and the game is coming along quite nicely so far. This is for the most part a solo project, but I do need a couple things, if anybody here would be willing to do them. I need somebody with some artisitc ability to make a title graphic(If you have used RPGM, you should know what I'm talking about), which is basically the background of the screen that says "New Game, Load Game" etc. I'm not sure of the right size, but it's best to make it too big rather than too small. I can make it smaller and have it still look alright, but if I have to make it bigger it will come out all pixelated and unreadable.

Otherwise all I need really is maybe someone to do one of those logos that you can put where your sig should be(Like Chains of Fate has. A little advertising never hurt :D), maybe a little avatar, ya know, just logos and stuff. Otherwise I don't really need anything. However if any RPGM veterans have any tips or tricks, they would be appreciated.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 12:15:21 am by Ale of Valhalla »

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Prism
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 10:35:18 am »
11,000 B.C is after the time of Zeal. I'll think of what to say about your ideas later.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 10:45:45 am by Vehek »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 12:00:43 pm »
Yeah, you're aiming for 13000 B.C. I guess you need a concept artist for the banner. Cooper or anyone else want to try?

Ale of Valhalla

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 03:55:08 pm »
Oh, haha sorry about that. It slipped my mind that B.C. counts down. So yes, it is 13,000 B.C. not 11,000.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 04:00:19 pm by Ale of Valhalla »

ClayAKAMe

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 04:49:52 pm »
How much of your game is completed so far. I've started and abandoned many before. But currently am working on two...... one on RM2k3 and the other on Temporal Flux.

Ale of Valhalla

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 06:24:05 pm »
What I have finished(But I might change them later on): The heroes and their ability curves, all the single techs(I haven't tried to make double and triple yet), all the items and weapons and armor and the like, everything under the "Vocabulary"(I think it's called "String" in RPGM2K3) and "System" tabs(Except for the title graphic), all the battle animations so far, and the first map.

What I still need to do: Make all the monsters and monster parties, finish the plot development(I already have the basics of it), and then make all the maps and events.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 06:26:02 pm by Ale of Valhalla »

Daniel Krispin

Re: Chrono Prism - A Chrono Fan Sequel
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 04:12:47 am »
Here's a neat trick for RPGmaker2003 I invented (or, at least, I thought of it without seeing it anywhere else) while working on a Silimarillion RPG. You may have figured this out but, oh well, here it is. It's for easily implementing avoidable enemies, if that is what you wish. Just set aside ten or so switch slots, and name them monster1 through 10 (or whatever the maximum number of monsters you will have on a map is.) Then do the following. Set each monster to be an event, triggering either when the hero goes somewhere, have it chase the hero, whatever you want. When it touches, have it trigger to start the battle. Anyway, include after the battle code a code saying 'switch operation'. Then change 'monster1' to 'on'. All you need do then is add a second page to the monster event, make it only activate if the given switch is on, and make the sprite look like the monster dead. That way, you meet a monster on the screen, fight it, and see it dead (in mine, I had the screen littered with dead orcs and trolls.) Anyway, make sure to label the monster 'monster1'. Do the same with the rest of the monsters. Now, here's the kicker. On every exit from a map with monsters, do a mass switch operation: turn all from monster1 to 10 'off'. That way, all  the creatures will be alive again when you return. And the best part? You can use the exact same ten switches for every single map, because they always default to 'off' (or 'monster alive') when you leave the last one. Thus, in ten switches you can do avoidable, but recurrent,  battles for the whole game. Nifty, eh?
I can't think of any other trickes off-hand. Most of the things I thought of were specific to what I wanted to do (wrapped up bodies swinging from the ceiling in Shelob's lair, arrows flying overhead in a battle, that sort of thing.) I even made it so that the other players followed you, though that was really difficult, and didn't work that well. I'm sure there's a better way of implementing it, but I was just trying to be resourceful myself.
Here's a nice looking effect that I used once, though maybe I was just lucky with how it turned out. Not sure if you'd want to use it, but it makes for a seamless and dramatic effect. Have a paralax background, and a foreground that you can have someone standing on. The background would best be a sky or something. Anyway, leave at least a screen of room at the top for the background. Then make a second map identical with the top space, but a different foreground. What you can then do is have the 'camera' looking at something in the foreground on the first (I had someone looking out to sea), then pan up, change the screen transition to instant, no transition effects, and change the map to the second. There should be no visible change, as the paralax background is identical in both. Then just pan down, and continue with the other scene. You can thus juxtapose both scenes, one of those movie-like shots where it looks up at the moon, looks down again, and it's in a different place.
Oh, and good luck with double-techs. I'm actuallly curious how you're going about that. I never figured out how to achieve that sort of thing. Unless you're going into programming sort of thing. That I never touched. I only ever tried to be clever with the events and all.

Ale of Valhalla

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 04:47:02 am »
Yea haven't tried with the double techs yet. That I'll probably save for the end. Thanks for the tips!

Ale of Valhalla

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 08:10:19 pm »
I'm delaying this game a bit to work on another project. Being new with RPGM,  I figured I'd try an original project to learn the ropes, then when that's done, I'll continue on Chrono Prism, and progress will be swifter. I don't want to make a Chrono game that ends up being bad due to my inexperience. If I mess up and make a flop, I'd rather it be something not Chrono related. Then I'll know what I did wrong, and it won't happen again in Prism. See what I'm saying? Please don't think I'm abandoning the project completely! I WILL come back to it after my new project, Project Seraphim(Doesn't have a title yet)!

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 10:38:25 pm »
A great idea, have fun and return soon.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 11:47:16 pm »
Yeah, good idea, you can get an idea of the quirks and controls. It's a relatively easy program to use, I think, but there are a lot of fun things to discover about it. Most are really obvious, but even, say... a museum displaying all the armour and weapons you have. Just get a chipset that has different armour and weapons and, in your head, connect each one with one of your weapons and armour. Then, in a seperate room appropriately set out, put an event for each piece of equipment. Set the first page to be blank, and the second page with a chipset of that weapons or armour or whatever (make sure to make it 'fixed graphic', otherwise it will turn, ie. change, when you click it.) Then put on the second page the option that it only activates if such and such item is in inventory. And that's all you need. When you gain that weapon, you will see it in your own personal museum back at home base. And that way people playing can see if they missed any. That's just one of those really easy to implement ideas that RPGmaker is really good at. The only thing it's really, really bad for is music. Unless you have some sort of special adapter for the program, you can't play MP3s. That leaves you with only one option for non-midi music: only use it for cutscenes, and play it as a .wav file. It's possible - I've got Loreena McKennitt's 'Dante's Prayer' playing at the end of my Silmarillion one, and it works perfectly - but you can't stop it once it's started, and the file itself is probably 50mb big, making your whole game a massive file. It's a tradeoff.

Ale of Valhalla

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 01:20:34 am »
That museum idea is really good. And yea music is hard to find. Speaking of music, any talented midi-makers want to help with Project Seraphim?