Author Topic: Stuff you hate  (Read 167896 times)

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Stuff you hate
« Reply #1620 on: March 07, 2012, 09:20:15 am »
~The world may never know the truth.~
THIS CALLS FOR A SEQUEL!  :o

chi_z

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • And you thought the dalton idea was ludicrous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: March 07, 2012, 06:35:31 pm »
I hate when people get caught up on petty shit. starving people in africa, what the flerp is a higgs boson, is there a god, are we alone, yet most people get caught up in bickering and fussing and fighting about the stupidest things, it's extremely embarrassing to be a member of the same species as someone who wants to nitpick about every little thing you do, rather than worry about stuff that actually matters.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: March 07, 2012, 07:35:31 pm »
People argue about stupid crap because the stupid crap is something they feel they have some control over. The big things, by contrast, scare them shitless.

Humanity is a rather neurotic species, really.  :picardno

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: March 07, 2012, 09:26:08 pm »
I hate when people get caught up on petty shit. starving people in africa, what the flerp is a higgs boson, is there a god, are we alone, yet most people get caught up in bickering and fussing and fighting about the stupidest things, it's extremely embarrassing to be a member of the same species as someone who wants to nitpick about every little thing you do, rather than worry about stuff that actually matters.

Isn't your post, in and of itself, being upset over petty shit?

Also, what are you doing about ending world hunger?  Because I've found that 99% of people who throw around the "starving people in Africa" line haven't actually done anything about it.

Synchronization

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: March 07, 2012, 10:08:31 pm »
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:25:43 pm by Synchronization »

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: March 07, 2012, 10:26:23 pm »
I understood what he meant.  I just find that sentiment incredibly amusing.  Not that people worry over little things too much because yeah, I agree.  But the "I'm irritated at people caring about petty things and so I'm going to make a post on a forum about how irritated I am."  To me it's kind of akin to someone posting a Facebook status that says "I hate it when people are passive-aggressive!  Stop it!  It's so annoying and no one cares!"

As an aside, I've heard people treat "arguing about stupid crap" and "being aware of the bigger issues in life" as being mutually exclusive, which is hilarious.  Everyone gets upset over petty rubbish.  Everyone.  Including people who actively care about social issues.  Fuck, just taking a look around this forum is enough to know that.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: March 07, 2012, 11:11:10 pm »
Guilty :-)

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1627 on: March 08, 2012, 01:23:35 am »

Isn't your post, in and of itself, being upset over petty shit?
Ooh, paradox! I love paradoxes!

Also, what are you doing about ending world hunger?  Because I've found that 99% of people who throw around the "starving people in Africa" line haven't actually done anything about it.
Kinda true, but many people wonder on the how of helping people when they're far away from places like Africa; then again, they're so used to "not helping people" that, even when they get the chance, they wouldn't, thus hoping someone more capable does it for them. I part of the problem lies in the sense that a butterfly simply can't create a hurricane, and any efforts on their part will be negligible and hopeless. This feeling of helplessness overwhelms them, and they instead throw that feeling away so they can focus on the "now", the practical ways they can take actions -- either for themselves or someone else.

Then again, while I'm unable to help anyone at Africa, I try and do my best to weed out the best of those in poverty here in my country, subsequently educating them or giving them the means to forge their own destiny. I don't have the money to feed someone, but the least I can do is teach them how to fish.

That reminds me (I know it isn't appropriate for this thread, but since we're on the topic...), Ghungroo has picked up Devanagari quite fast! She still abhors English to the core, but hell, at least she's learned how to read. Now I'm looking forward on how this little thing changes the world with her pen. 8)

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: March 08, 2012, 02:09:09 am »
Kinda true, but many people wonder on the how of helping people when they're far away from places like Africa

A simple Google search should do the trick.  If someone does their research and chooses a legit charity that helps world hunger, that could take all up to ten minutes.  I donated about $300 (pretty much all I had at the time) to charity about five years ago and that took almost zero effort.  Found a charity, wrote a check, mailed it.  If everyone thinks that they can't create a hurricane and nothing they do will help and that they should just leave it to someone else...well then, we're a bunch of lazy fools and we're screwed.

It just really, really grinds my gears when people throw out "starving people in Africa" or "homeless children in the Ukraine" or "poor people in Peru" like rice at a wedding, but they aren't actually doing anything.  "Starving people in Africa" is a series of buzzwords.  I would have no place telling someone off for doing something and trying to guilt them by using those buzzwords.  Why?  Because I haven't done anything to help starving people in Africa.  It's not that I don't care, it's that the charity I donated / donate to isn't focused on preventing hunger in Africa.  They would be completely empty words.

...I feel like I'm not making sense and no one gets what I'm saying.  -____-

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1629 on: March 08, 2012, 02:45:28 am »
A simple Google search should do the trick.  If someone does their research and chooses a legit charity that helps world hunger, that could take all up to ten minutes.
Unfortunately, where I come from, the only ones who actually know about Google are the young and ones from the industries that require them to be digitally capable. For instance, 80% of the elders that come to our cafe don't even know how to operate a computer. XD

And even less among the 20% (let's say, only 2%) would actually be able to make online transactions to donate to charities. In other words, most folks at India actually have to go far away places, stand in a line for hours, make a check/DD and donate some amount -- this "inconvenience" is what most people think that the grapes our sour. And, at the same time, most families in India barely have enough to sustain themselves, let alone donate.

Sometimes I envy you people from the US / UK.  :( Still, I pledge other ways of helping if not money entirely, but even that takes time and patience.

(P.S.: I get what you're saying about the "buzzwords" and "guilt", but -- being selfish for a bit -- that's something I'm just not interested in getting into, especially since I enjoy simply watching where such arguments head. XD)

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: March 08, 2012, 02:58:25 am »
I was talking about "wealthy" people who could do a Google search or donate to charities (like people who are literate and have access to a computer).  That's who I was referring to.  I realize it would be difficult (if not impossible) to navigate charity websites if you're not computer-literate, but that's not the target audience I was addressing.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: March 11, 2012, 09:19:19 am »
Bleh.

Spring.

Yuck.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #1632 on: March 12, 2012, 04:09:06 am »
Not here it isn't.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1633 on: March 12, 2012, 04:25:53 am »
My health, it seems, is on its path towards a rapid decline...

Not here it isn't.
The spring or the yuck?

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: March 12, 2012, 06:08:57 am »
Not here it isn't.

Ah, lucky.  :/

/minority warm-weather dislike