Author Topic: Stuff you hate  (Read 166098 times)

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
Re: Stuff you hate
« Reply #1575 on: January 14, 2012, 12:02:47 pm »
Seven Samurai = designed to be a Japanese western equivalent.

And then they made The Magnificent Seven, which WAS a western, based on it! XD

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1576 on: January 15, 2012, 12:58:04 am »
"Hey, you're English! I heard you people like dry, dark comedy with a lot of sarcasm. I bet we can share some jokes later."

"Hey, you're English! I will now quote Monty Python incessantly at you, because that is all your culture consists of."

^One of those I dislike, the other's ok.
I actually dislike them both, considering some of my best mates are English, and I've found myself become a part of their culture.  :|

...why not Doctor Who (and Sherlock Holmes)?

Aww man, I'm so behind these discussions! Allow me to pretend to follow them closely and give a wise response:

*ahem* Yeah, Boo's right. New Zealand makes awesome French Fries. (New Zeal Land?)

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #1577 on: January 15, 2012, 10:50:55 am »
"Hey, you're English! I heard you people like dry, dark comedy with a lot of sarcasm. I bet we can share some jokes later."

"Hey, you're English! I will now quote Monty Python incessantly at you, because that is all your culture consists of."

I actually dislike them both, considering some of my best mates are English, and I've found myself become a part of their culture.  :|

Because I was talking about comedy, not science fiction or mystery. Believe it or not, some of us haven't read every Sherlock Holmes book and seen every adaptation, nor watch Doctor Who. My common ground with an Englishman(for example) would be comedy; stuff I have seen and can share some a commonality with.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1578 on: January 15, 2012, 11:23:08 am »

I actually dislike them both, considering some of my best mates are English, and I've found myself become a part of their culture.  :|

Because I was talking about comedy, not science fiction or mystery. Believe it or not, some of us haven't read every Sherlock Holmes book and seen every adaptation, nor watch Doctor Who. My common ground with an Englishman(for example) would be comedy; stuff I have seen and can share some a commonality with.
Haven't read even one short-story of Sherlock? Are you kidding me? XD Go buy the "Hound of Baskervilles"!

I do understand what you're getting at, though. Albeit, if you ignore that second sentence of mine (which I added for humor), the frustration indicated from the first was due to the racist attitude towards the English / Scottish. A good Scottish friend of mine is an incredible violinist and artist, a master of Jiujitsu, knowledgeable and a very good-natured and humorous person; yet, he's often been a victim of racism, which usually includes "kilts", "bagpipes", "Haggis" and the imitation. Another English buddy is a professional Fencer, and he is often mocked THIS WAY. I guess it's probably my impatience with people judging people based on their pop-culture (or normal culture) with biased perspective, so I hope you do pardon me on that.

On the other hand, London's quite big on Sherlock Holmes (they even have a museum there)! Even if you haven't read or seen Sherlock, you're bound to know the name and the meaning behind the name. The character is legendary and iconic, hence the consideration. XD (I doubt you'll find a bigger Sherlock-buff than me, though)

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1579 on: January 15, 2012, 11:48:00 am »
Americans get cultures in a can.  They get anime and gothic lolita dresses, and kilts and celtic knots and "sexy accents", and so many of them think that's all there is to it.  I'm not Scottish, but I lived there long enough to know that it's fucking annoying when people visit your country because they've fetishized it and think your culture (or what they perceive to be your culture) is just so "cool" and "oh I'm Scottish too och aye ye wee laddie".
Hah, you quite correct on that. I remember a Christian friend (and a die-hard lover of multi-culture) who often lamented on American commercialization on "cultural entities" in ways that warps the perception of what a culture is to begin with. He also once ranted about how some Americans (in this case, Perry and Brand) want to have a Hindu Wedding because it's apparently "cool", then give the culture a shoe once the novelty wears off. "But are they even aware of what Hinduism stands for?" He cried. "Do they even know the philosophical essence behind the sacred fire? More importantly, do they even care?"

Nope; they don't. Ironically, this also reminds me of a close friend's rants regarding the New Age movement.

Usually the kind of backlash that Americans receive from these culturally rich countries is out of fear that... you know, the "compress it in a can" thing, hence making it lose value. A culture isn't toy; it's the collective minds throughout time in distant lands.

And because of this retraction people like Katie, who are genuinely interested, often get into bad terms to begin with. People have the tendency to see a few rotten apples and judge the whole basket, but only few have the capability to weed out the best cleverly. In other words, I encourage Katie to follow her heart here, because there's a lot of culture she can bask in.

I still have a lot more to read apparently (ah, shit, dyslexia...) Pardon my late responses.

*Yeah, I don't really mind when people have the desire to rant on me; in fact, I welcome it, and for various mutual understandings.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 11:50:34 am by tushantin »

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: January 15, 2012, 07:41:53 pm »
On the other hand, London's quite big on Sherlock Holmes (they even have a museum there)! Even if you haven't read or seen Sherlock, you're bound to know the name and the meaning behind the name. The character is legendary and iconic, hence the consideration. XD (I doubt you'll find a bigger Sherlock-buff than me, though)

Not really.  They DO have a museum (which I've been to), but it's extremely touristy and was mainly built for tourists.  My parents' friends in London actually discouraged us from going there because it was expensive and a major tourist trap, but we went there anyway because I probably would have thrown a fit if we hadn't (I was ten at the time).  People in the UK were pretty ho-hum about Sherlock Holmes while I was living there.  Yeah, they have a museum in London, and there's a statue of Conan Doyle in Edinburgh, but other than that people didn't read the stories or know much about them.  Maybe that's changed now since the TV series and the movies have come out and made the stories super popular on a pop-culture level, but while I was in the UK they had about the same attitude as people in the US did about Sherlock Holmes pre-Robert Downey Jr. and BBC: "Oh yeah, Sherlock Holmes!  "Elementary, my dear Watson!"  Wait, what do you mean that was never in the stories?  No, I've never read the stories.  I once saw half of a show on "Hound of the Baskervilles", does that count?"  It was well-known, but in the same way that Dickens is well-known.  And I was a MAJOR Sherlock Holmes nut at the time, so if people had been super into the stories, I would've known.

But yeah, maybe that's changed since then since it's become a pop-culture thing.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1581 on: January 16, 2012, 05:31:30 am »
XD You've no idea how much that post amused me, Saj.

Haha, pardon my ignorance then, since it's clear that I was misinformed. Mary almost always bragged about how there was a club nearby there filled with "Sherlock geeks" (she was doing her best to offend me there) and the nostalgia for tourists in London. Perhaps she meant something different from what I interpreted. Alas, the bane of an incomplete picture...

So you did go to the museum! How was it?  :D

P.S.: I was not happy with the ending of "Scandal in Belgravia".
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 05:34:18 am by tushantin »

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: January 16, 2012, 05:56:40 am »
So you did go to the museum! How was it?  :D

It was...touristy.  And very expensive.  And a lot less interesting than I thought it would be.  But I was still super thrilled.

Here are some pictures!  (I'm the brown-haired kid with the glasses.)

I could barely contain my excitement.  XD

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1583 on: January 16, 2012, 07:30:10 am »
Damn, every time I see those pics... so nostalgic!  :o Touristy indeed, but I'd still probably be quite excited about it (I want to sit on that chair and meditate like Holmes does -- while Holmes steeples his fingers to his face, I have my own similar habit involving a complex pattern, because it helps me think). I honestly wouldn't mind handing my wallet to them for the experience.

Do you mind if I said you look adorable in that hat? XD

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: January 17, 2012, 08:39:11 pm »
That is ridiculously cute.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1585 on: January 19, 2012, 01:24:58 pm »
I've come to a decision lately.

This flirty rasgulla / teddy bear Tushantin who enjoys the company of girls... will no longer have any more girlfriends unless I find the worthy one, the right one*. Somehow I feel incredibly empty inside...

*Conditions Apply: I'll still be going on dates, but just as buddies.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 01:29:28 pm by tushantin »

chi_z

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • And you thought the dalton idea was ludicrous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: January 22, 2012, 01:42:03 pm »
not so sure about the 'the right one'. there's a lot of right ones out there for a person. all that's required is that you both try to become better individuals, that you 'turn inward' toward each other rather than turn inward toward yourself, and slowly start looking at things in terms of 'how does this help the relationship' rather than being self-oriented. the only key to happiness is to be yourself and observe what you deem an undesirable trait and attempt to change for the better, happiness is the easiest thing in the world you just have to decide to be happy and voila (assuming proper mental health that is). also, waking up each morning and saying 'well I'm no prize either' and being able to look past the little annoyances after the first 9 months-4 years wears into disillusionment.  (unless you are one of the few people who can remain totally infatuated forever).

For me, I have to wait a bit longer. I have no job, money, phone, car (or drivers license for that matter, me only form of id is a college badge). No way to support myself let alone others, so it'd be fruitless to search for anything more than a friend for at least another 1.75 years or so.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1587 on: January 22, 2012, 01:59:48 pm »
Wow! That's quite an... erm, insightful post there! XD Albeit I'm not sure from what context you mean that. Rest assured, I'll keep em to mind. Except!

1) I am indeed being self-oriented here, because whenever I'm in a relationship I always make sure my partner(s) have a wonderful time, so of course it's fair that I think selfishly at least once a while.
2) I tend to get infatuated really easily, but I decide whether to follow with the feeling or not analytically (I'm insane that way).
3) My current "right one" is a vague mathematical / psychological conclusion of what kind of person I think might be right for me. Meaning, I'm clueless as of yet.
4) I get "happy" at the blink of an eye. XD I've found the secrets / meaning of life, after all.

Thanks for your insights, and I have something for you in return!

For me, I have to wait a bit longer. I have no job, money, phone, car (or drivers license for that matter, me only form of id is a college badge). No way to support myself let alone others, so it'd be fruitless to search for anything more than a friend for at least another 1.75 years or so.
Aye, never say no to love! Reject Lady Love now, and she will never again be comfortable to appear before you! Accept Love with open arms, and take that as an advantage to do all that is good. Who said you necessarily need to support someone? Love finds a way, matey, love finds a way!

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1588 on: January 24, 2012, 04:28:36 am »
I really suck at comic paneling. XD

What kind of an artist am I?! Oh, lord!

tushantin