Author Topic: Stuff you hate  (Read 166125 times)

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff you hate
« Reply #1530 on: December 11, 2011, 01:48:05 am »
The "dropped out of school at the age of three" line is actually from a parody rap song.

Lord J, I acknowledge your post and will either respond when time permits me or do something else. Iono.

ah, thanks for clearing that up. it had me like  :lee:

There's an entire website dedicated to Google searches:  Autocomplete Me.

But in all seriousness, that "which is" search was surprisingly...not that stupid.  The first option notwithstanding.

Indeed.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: December 11, 2011, 06:18:39 am »
Ah, just in time for the holiday season. Heartwarming.

That's some sick stuff. I wish I could say it surprised me, but it didn't.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1532 on: December 11, 2011, 01:48:20 pm »
Was hoping to release the first ep of Polar Detective before Christmas. Looks like I've a very rotten luck...

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: December 11, 2011, 04:44:19 pm »
It's not just your luck -- I was hoping to do so much before Christmas that I didn't get around to! What is it with self-applied due dates, anyway?  :o  I need to get better at this.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1534 on: December 20, 2011, 11:04:31 am »
Something inside me feels burned out. I feel distracted. I can't focus. A mere sentence escapes me. I can't even recognize anything visual or aural. Expressions on people's faces seem strange. Noise of any kind seems distracting. People's mere presence keeps me on my guard.

This is not healthy...

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: December 23, 2011, 06:12:45 am »
Copy-pasting this from Facebook because I am too tired to type it up again.

Early Wednesday morning, I got a phone call from a friend. She asked me for reasons not to kill herself. I talked to her for an hour and urged her to wake up her boyfriend so he could take her to a safe place. Later that night, she called again and told me she had kept her promise to me and was now with her parents. I was so proud of her for being strong enough to get help.

Yesterday her boyfriend called and told me that she had committed suicide.

I am so devastated.  This is the second friend I have lost this year to death.  I wish I could have helped more.  I am so worried that I didn't say the right things.  I cannot imagine what her family, friends, and boyfriend are going through.  I wish I could have done more.  I miss her so much.

I hate that monsters caused my friend so much pain that she felt that the only way to escape her torment was to take her own life.

(And if anyone has the utter gall to say "wow what a coward" or insult my friend in any way then fuck you.)

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1536 on: December 23, 2011, 07:52:50 am »
We don't have enough details, Saj, and as such I'm not sure what to say. I'm not sure what she's been through. I'm not sure what you've talked about. I'm not sure what went through her mind to take such an action.

But in the words of FaustWolf, I guess I can say that nobody wants to kill themselves, and yet there are incredibly despairing circumstances that force people to take such actions. Rest assured, you tried Saj. You did the best you could in this situation.  We probably would have advised the same as you did.

In essence, and in the words of Chetan Bhagat, I'll also say this: "This wasn't suicide; it was murder." She didn't take her own life. Circumstances forced it down her throat. If anything, it is those monsters to blame.

My condolences to you and her family. They may need all the support they can get through their grief. I wonder what went wrong...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 07:55:20 am by tushantin »

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #1537 on: December 23, 2011, 01:56:03 pm »
I hate that monsters caused my friend so much pain that she felt that the only way to escape her torment was to take her own life.

(And if anyone has the utter gall to say "wow what a coward" or insult my friend in any way then fuck you.)

I attempted suicide a few times in Junior High, but each time, someone would walk in on me and nearly catch me. I took it as a sign, and after that I was too freaked out to try again anyway...
...but I've been there, so I'd never dream of saying anything against your friend. Sometimes even a game over is preferable to trying to win against your circumstances...

Whoever it was that did this to her should burn.

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: December 26, 2011, 03:15:17 am »

I am, too.

I'm fortunate in that nobody I know has committed suicide, but I once saw a man jump off a parking garage. When I looked up articles about it later, the comments absolutely revolted me -- all these people trying to politicize it ("the economy made him do it!"), or saying good riddance to someone who didn't want to be here anyway, or talking about what an awful, callous person he was to leave his family behind. As if they could possibly understand the reasons someone would have to look down the height of a building and jump...

I wouldn't presume to know those reasons, either, but he must have had monsters, as well.

I'm so sorry for your friend.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 03:17:05 am by Syna »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1539 on: December 27, 2011, 01:58:07 pm »
I really abhor how people treat sociopaths, autistic-bound, and others similar... Self-sustenance theory, yes, but devastation resulting from paranoia and mental difference... it's freakin' revolting. In the end, it's the very behavior of the so called "normal people" that really drives someone innocent towards insanity.

Inspired by this post, this New Year, I ask for light to those struck by misfortune: orphans, poverty-bound, handicapped, sociopaths, miserable, and every victim of misfortune created by humanity and fate alike.

I'm sorry, but I just need to ask: am I the only one in the world to actually sympathize and empathize with sociopaths?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 02:20:20 pm by tushantin »

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #1540 on: December 27, 2011, 10:25:10 pm »
I'm sorry, but I just need to ask: am I the only one in the world to actually sympathize and empathize with sociopaths?

Probably not, but for my two cents I have to say I do not do either of those for sociopaths that end up causing harm to others.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #1541 on: December 27, 2011, 10:30:14 pm »

Hopefully. Sociopaths are incapable of the sympathy and empathy you have, which is what allows them to be so callously destructive to those they interact with. A person that is able to understand ethics but is unable to value being ethical...that's a damn good definition for an evil person.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: December 27, 2011, 11:16:10 pm »
(I would like to think that) relatively few of us have the experience of being victimized by sociopaths. Seeing it only second-hand, I agree with RD's assessment, pending any wiggle room for what a "sociopath" might be exactly. It seems like such an ill-defined, wide ranging, and flexible term to me. But that may be because I haven't learned enough about how it's commonly applied by psychologists yet.

If we're talking Cho Seung Hui, Jeffrey Dahmer, etc., I think it's a worthwhile thing to try and investigate the motives and developmental histories of these individuals so we can identify warning signs and stage an intervention before people like them do something they ought not to in the future. I met one of Cho Seung Hui's victims just a couple months before she died, and I can't deny an obsession with learning more about how the heck that could have happened. This is different from empathy or sympathy with the perpetrator though; the interest is nothing more than clinical. For those of us who are merely aware these things happen, our sympathy and empathy belong with the victims. I think that is as it should be. That's no failure of society; our failure as I see it is not being properly vigilant for the warning signs. Furthermore, I believe this fault is tied to our mass media's habit of dropping subjects before they're fully explored.

For myself, I'll say this: anyone who's been victimized by a sociopath is in a dark place I can never go. I can't scratch it, can't hope to fully understand it. That understanding, too, is something I owe victims. That said, from my naive perspective, I can accept that different victims may have different healing responses to the experience, if it can be said that healing is possible at all. Whatever path they need is worth supporting, no matter how lonely that path may be.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 11:27:31 pm by FaustWolf »

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: December 27, 2011, 11:57:15 pm »

No, you aren't.  A lot of people find them enticing and even romantic.

Many sociopaths actually want people to sympathize and empathize with them, because people who supply sociopaths with sympathy and empathy are easier to manipulative, deceive, and exploit.

They certainly do not receive any kind of understanding from me.  Having been a victim of one, I learned quickly that people with ASPD need to be treated extremely cautiously or avoided altogether by those of us who have a moral compass and the ability to care for other people.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 12:04:13 am by Sajainta »

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: December 28, 2011, 01:42:50 am »
I don't think anyone can be faulted for wanting to understand how sociopaths work, but I think "sympathize" and "empathize" are dangerous concepts. We must walk a line between trying to understand and never underestimating how much we don't understand. Do you really know what it's like to be that disconnected from people, that fundamentally, deeply, it's-in-your-wiring disconnected? I think it would take an immense, concentrated, sustained effort from someone with an ability to empathize and sympathize within the normal parameters... I don't honestly know if it's possible.