Author Topic: Stuff you hate  (Read 167856 times)

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff you hate
« Reply #855 on: November 02, 2009, 10:52:11 pm »
now see honestly i dont have a problem with stay at home moms. if thats what someone wants to do, then fine. my main problem is the way she described her dream future.
a man, his wife, and the children.
this gives me the connotation of the wife just being an object to be held by the man. not 'a husband and wife with their children' or even 'a married man and women and the kids'. no. 'a man, his wife, and the children'.
this is what i hate.
it actually sickens me that she wants to be nothing more than the wife.
not a woman.
not a mother.
a wife.
and she doesnt want her husband to be a husband. she wants him to be a man. not a father, not a dad, not a husband. a man.

MsBlack

• View Profile
« Reply #856 on: November 03, 2009, 12:10:56 am »
So far as I can tell, Zombie went against neither Elizabeth's nor anybody else's right to be a stay-at-home parent; there's a difference between not accepting somebody's choices and not tolerating the choices or accepting their right to make them.

The problem isn't with the idea of a stay-at-home female parent as such; the problem is that, in practice, almost every such parent does so out of ignorance and conditioning that makes her slide into gender roles without a second thought. What I mean is that all but an insignificant minority of stay-at-home mothers are simply following the gender roles they are pressured or forced into, which reinforces these gender roles, usually by just going with the predetermined course of their lives, as opposed to making an active choice.

Even when an active choice is made, it will often be on the same type of grounds as Elizabeth's—on a playing field that's stacked. Sure, it's technically a choice, but it's completely determined and dictated from the start by gender roles—gender roles inextricable from religion, lest we forget. We see the same argument coming up with the burqa, which is a tool for the oppression of women that those same women themselves defend! It’s the same sheer ignorance that causes blind adherence to the same traditions that keep the oppressed being the oppressed.

While it’s obviously stupid to deny women their right to be stay-at-home-parents, it’s very much valid to criticize the idea of stay-at-home mothers into which people like Elizabeth are indoctrinated.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #857 on: November 03, 2009, 12:14:57 am »
The debate on domestic work is predicated on unjust gender roles. Women have been expected to maintain the house and raise children from antiquity. Any woman who resisted would find herself alone or dead in the past. In modern civilization, there exists the opportunity for women to be their own familial leaders or single people; to have careers, etc. and do the things all of humanity ought to have the freedom to do.

The problem? Men (and a lot of women) still believe in the old gender roles. So whereas a man gets to go to work, then come home and do whatever he wants for a few hours until sleeping, women must go to work, then come home to maintain the house, do the laundry, pay the bills (yes, even if men earn some of the money, most of bill paying is handled by women), get the groceries, take the children to their obligations, raise the children, etc., etc., etc. This is the "second shift" of work for women. And it's unpaid and often thankless. Men defend themselves by claiming their mechanic work and utility work around the house (like building a tree-house, or working on cars) is work, but it doesn't approach the level of work that women must do, and most men enjoy being crafty. Some men also claim defense in that their work is "more important" than house duties; that they're out there making the world go around with their magnificent contributions to civilization, and have thus earned respite at home.

Second wave feminists weren't able to get the victory they desired—a splitting of domestic duties and responsibilities between men and women. For that reason, hiring of maids and domestic workers is now on the rise in today's society. Women, unable to get men to help, have taken to hiring domestic help like nannies or illegal migrants. And this is often an exploitative relationship, etc. etc. etc. But really, as a woman who's expected to maintain the entire house and everything else, how can you have a career at the same time? How can you raise one or more children while being a high-powered businesswoman?

Anyway, the problem is that men need to fucking help around the house and split duties with women. Gender roles can go fuck themselves. I know two women who are bearish on getting married because they know it'll probably be an exploitative domestic relationship like that. They don't want to consign themselves to do all the fucking work in the house just because tradition dictates it. Add a life of that on top of child-rearing and the pain of being a baby factory, and ugh.

Anyway, none of this may apply to Boo, but I had to take the opportunity where I saw it to highlight this injustice. Extra problems come in with the realization that the "second shift" is unpaid work for women. Stay at home moms with many kids might do great work raising children, but they don't have an employer—so there's no pension, benefit plan, insurance break, or even social security for them. It boils down to slavish dependence on the husband.

We are going to fucking change that.

:franky
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 12:31:02 am by ZeaLitY »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: November 03, 2009, 12:28:22 am »
ZeaLitY's post reminds me of the question of whether stay-at-home parents could/should be paid for what they do. I'm not sure, simply because it's difficult to quantify and apply a payscale to the quality of child rearing and housework, let alone whether it would be just to judge the benefits stay-at-home parents should receive through the children's school performance and so forth.

The easiest answer is probably just to share the domestic workload. I wonder what die-hard traditionalists would say, faced with the choice between a government check to stay-at-home Moms or the Dad pitching in equally inside the house regardless of however hard his workday happens to be.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: November 03, 2009, 12:39:10 am »
My mom wanted to quit her job and be a stay-at-home mom. And she did.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: November 08, 2009, 07:05:48 am »
Ako si og puta.
Ako si og butang.
Ako si iya munyeka.
Ako si og ulipon.

Ug gahasain...dili.  DILI.

Patigayong ug pagbaligya...

Ako si og ulipon.

Ako si og puta.
Ako so og butang.
Ako si og ulipong.
Ako si og munyeka...og dulaan.

IYA munyeka.
IYA dulaan.
IYA puta.
IYA butang.
IYA ulipon.

Dulaan...
Ulipong...
Puta...
Butang...

Butang...
Butang...
BUTANG.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: November 08, 2009, 06:52:57 pm »
Sajainta, you okay there?

Temporal Knight

• Springtime of Youth
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Roar through the flames of time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: November 08, 2009, 07:02:21 pm »
If only I could read....whatever that said.

Wow...what was that?

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #863 on: November 09, 2009, 01:10:04 am »
Sajainta, you okay there?

I've been better.  I just had a really bad early morning and I needed to vent, and I figured it'd be best if I did it in another language heh.  Thank you for asking.

If only I could read....whatever that said.

Wow...what was that?

I'd be very, VERY surprised if you could read it.  XD  It's Cebuano, which is a language most people haven't even heard of.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #864 on: November 09, 2009, 02:23:13 pm »
I'd be very, VERY surprised if you could read it.  XD  It's Cebuano, which is a language most people haven't even heard of.

Where is it spoken?

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: November 09, 2009, 03:08:34 pm »
I actually had a friend who could translate part of it it, as she knew Filipino, and read it to me because I was curios. So I got the jist of it... :(

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #866 on: November 09, 2009, 05:26:47 pm »
Where is it spoken?

South-central Philippines.  I grew up speaking both Cebuano and English.

I actually had a friend who could translate part of it it, as she knew Filipino, and read it to me because I was curios. So I got the jist of it... :(

Ah.  Yeah, I just needed some kind of outlet.

I assume your friend knows Tagalog (I know it's called "Filipino" now)?  There are quite a few similarities between Cebuano and Tagalog.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: November 19, 2009, 01:26:04 am »
Myself.

Ugh.

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: November 19, 2009, 05:26:03 pm »
mr bekkler, we love you! whatever is wrong, youll always have us.

TriforceofEternity

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: November 19, 2009, 08:46:37 pm »
I hate it when people *who are in the right* complain about Big Brother taking over and wish to leave the country but don't realize IT AIN'T BETTER ANYWHERE ELSE! which they are better off toughing it out and fighting for their rights  :o :shock: :picardno     

In fact if anything it's worse in other countries!

Here it's just a bunch of little brothers joining together a little at a time where we at least have a hue of the constitution left where most countries got nothing/zip.

Whatever the government says you do and here we can fight if we are smart enough and play our cards right. :roll:       You can't fight too soon and you can't fight too late.