Author Topic: Stuff you hate  (Read 167625 times)

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Stuff you hate
« Reply #1605 on: February 08, 2012, 04:36:27 am »
Well, checkups are expensive...
A $100 checkup* is insignificant when compared to million-dollars-worth health.  8)

(P.S.: I dunno how much checkups in the US cost; the $100 thing is something I'm assuming based on what I saw on TV as a kid; as for the "millions-worth-health", that's something my Grandpa used to tell me.)

EDIT:
People, I need a bit of clarification here. The more I seem to learn about the USA the more I find it stranger and crazy, sometimes quite awesome (making me wish I lived there) and sometimes devoid of any plausible sense (often making me happier for where I am). In either case, I always seek to confirm the information I here elsewhere because I don't take any information for granted, so I hope you forgive my curiosity.

If a child is bullied at schools and is seen developing strange changes in behaviour, is that the first thing a lot of parents do is put the children on depression medications? I hope someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 05:31:27 am by tushantin »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: February 08, 2012, 09:55:11 am »
If a child is bullied at schools and is seen developing strange changes in behaviour, is that the first thing a lot of parents do is put the children on depression medications? I hope someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

If they're clinically depressed, the doctor might prescribe them medication, but just being bullied and developing "strange" behavior (which is REALLY vague, btw) does not give a parent the right or the legal authority to give their kid medication without talking to a doctor, no.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1607 on: February 08, 2012, 12:02:05 pm »

If they're clinically depressed, the doctor might prescribe them medication, but just being bullied and developing "strange" behavior (which is REALLY vague, btw) does not give a parent the right or the legal authority to give their kid medication without talking to a doctor, no.
Ah, thanks for the clarification, and I'm glad that's the case. The way it was described to me, it seemed like anti-depressants were taken as commonly as aspirins / crocins which confused me. Unprescribed medication can be hazardous.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: February 08, 2012, 01:50:14 pm »
Yeah, that isn't entirely untrue either because doctors have to judge based on what you tell them, and anyone who does the right research can fake symptoms and get a prescription for something like depression or other disorders. I can't imagine why one would want to, other than the obvious popularity of adderall and other ADD medications, or painkillers. I think some who take depression medication feel like they're less of a person because they depend on the chemical, but really that kind of thinking comes from the depression. I don't take medication regularly, personally speaking, but I've been diagnosed with a few "things" that I don't feel like elaborating on. Medication is not mandatory and sometimes doctors are wrong. Chances are if someone is taking antidepressants either they or their doctor (if not both) truly believe they need it to combat depression. I don't think anyone is fooled into thinking it will "make" them happy, but the right combination can provide a great deal of relief for those who are hurting. :)

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #1609 on: February 11, 2012, 03:52:16 pm »
AUGH IT HURTS TO BREATHE!

...I have a zit inside my nose. It's really, really uncomfortable and annoying.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1610 on: February 17, 2012, 03:45:50 pm »
Ugh! I think something yet I seem to type something else. I seem to mispell every complex word on paper, yet my fingers remember the "pattern" of the spelling, hence typing faster than my mind can think (thank you, Dvorak). Yet, when I think "Hypersensitive" I keep typing "Hyperactive", and when I think "lexical" I type "concepts" instead. I think "I have been" but I always seem to type "I am cheese".

*prays Mr Rainbow Yeti to magic him out of his shoop-da-whoop-lexia*

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1611 on: February 19, 2012, 02:17:35 pm »
XD

I'm no Michelangelo.

Discarded three paintings halfway just because I ruined them with mis-colors.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiitt

And I ran out of Red. *stares at Katie's boyfriend, grabs his palette and palette knife*

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: March 05, 2012, 10:03:03 am »
Was just called a slut during a debate by someone from my high school because I had sex before marriage (oh what scandal).

I can't stand fellow missionary kids.  99% of the time they are the worst of the worst.

idioticidioms

« Reply #1613 on: March 05, 2012, 01:23:13 pm »
ooooooo, I love when people have to resort to insults during a debate. It means they're running out of steam and have to try discrediting their opponent to invalidate what they're saying.

I really hate GERD.

and yeah, nose zits hurt like hell.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: March 05, 2012, 05:21:44 pm »
ooooooo, I love when people have to resort to insults during a debate. It means they're running out of steam and have to try discrediting their opponent to invalidate what they're saying.

I don't know if this is supposed to be directed toward me, but I presented a clear argument, free of insults. I may not have thought your points were very good but I said nothing of your character.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: March 05, 2012, 05:56:43 pm »

I don't know if this is supposed to be directed toward me, but I presented a clear argument, free of insults. I may not have thought your points were very good but I said nothing of your character.

Unless you're talking about a different thread, I don't think idioticidioms directed that at you, Bekkler. Maybe at me, since he posted this right after replying to me, but I don't think I was being insulting...

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: March 05, 2012, 06:24:12 pm »
I don't think you were insulting either. Oh well, I just don't want anyone mad here due to misunderstandings if they can be prevented ;-)
I didn't even check the post time.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: March 05, 2012, 11:11:23 pm »
I thought he was replying to my post about being called a slut during a debate.  0_0

~The world may never know the truth.~

idioticidioms

« Reply #1618 on: March 06, 2012, 03:15:44 am »
and now I know that you're a defensive person. No, it was aimed at people in general.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: March 06, 2012, 04:59:36 am »
and now I know that you're a defensive person. No, it was aimed at people in general.

He was not being defensive.  He was trying to understand what you meant and to prevent any misunderstanding.  That is not being defensive.

And now you are the one making character attacks by calling him a defensive person.  Neither Bekkler, nor Kodokami, were defensive.  There was no need for you to attack either of them.