Author Topic: Masa, Mune, Turnip  (Read 5536 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Masa, Mune, Turnip
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2004, 05:35:46 am »
But the Fall happened FIVE YEARS after the events of Trigger and the downfall of Lavos...I don't see the connection there either...Not to mention that I still don't believe that Crono & Marle are dead...No proof pointing to it, just possibilities...

I think Crono's fighting style is similar based on their latent magical abilities. Crono's Slash move for instance is a lot like a move...Slash...uses...I...never noticed that correlation between those names...Well, I think that similarity is because such abilities can be common. I mean, Crono pretty much learns that right off the bat, right? Everything else besides Cyclone is magically inclined.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Masa, Mune, Turnip
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2004, 07:17:54 am »
I'm leaning toward V_Translaka's opinion I think, the planet's dream being the defeat of Lavos... I mean, CC's last chapter name is "For all the Dreamers, Our Planet's Dream is not over yet". I don't see how it could mean something like "Crono is not dead yet" whereas that chapter is only about defeating the Devourer of Time.

As for Crono and Slash fighting style, well since they are both katana/saber fighters, it would made sense they share some skills. Glenn the son of Garai knows X-Strike, like the former Glenn.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Masa, Mune, Turnip
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2004, 03:17:30 pm »
Quote from: V_Translanka
...I...never noticed that correlation between those names...

It's only in the American version. In the Japanese, the three henchmen are named after condiments. Soy, Vingear, and Mayo I think, although even if those are correct, I have no idea which corresponds to whom.

Quote from: Akuma
Also where in the game does it say Crono is the entity's dream? Please use words like "probably" and "hypothetically" please.

Quote from: Radical_Dreamer
Somewhere else on the forum (not sure the thread, sorry) someone gives the text from the Chrono Cross lighter. It mentions the Planet's dream defeating Lavos. It's possible Crono is that dream, it would lend even more credibility to the Crono as a literary Christlike figure Xathael had made when he still ran the Chrono Trigger Testament.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
Masa, Mune, Turnip
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2004, 06:38:00 pm »
Haha! No no no...Akuma asked specifically for "probably" & "hypothetically"  :wink:  :wink: :nudge: :nudge: say no mo' say no mo'

Oh, and yeah, I knew about Ozzie, Flea, & Slash's real names (I also don't know which is which...Although I think Flea might have been the Mayo one...)...I just never realized that in the NA version that Crono has a Tech with the same name as Slash...Just a little thing you can miss, like how there's two different Fire Whirls...

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Masa, Mune, Turnip
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2004, 07:00:25 pm »
There are two Fire Whirls? Nearly 10 years later, and we're still learning about this game.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
Masa, Mune, Turnip
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2004, 07:05:46 pm »
Fire Whirl 1 - Crono & Lucca 1st Double Tech
Fire Whirl 2 - Lucca & Ayla 2nd Double Tech

I wonder if either of them was translated wrong? I wouldn't be surprised  :lol:

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Masa, Mune, Turnip
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2004, 07:13:50 pm »
One of them was probably Fire Spin, although I get the distinct feeling there is another one of those somewhere. Maybe they were aiming for similarity, like with Arc Impulse (which demolishes Golems) and Bad Impulse (used by Ozzie and Co)

Swordmaster

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Masa, Mune, Turnip
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2004, 12:08:14 am »
But the Fall happened FIVE YEARS after the events of Trigger and the downfall of Lavos...I don't see the connection there either...Not to mention that I still don't believe that Crono & Marle are dead...No proof pointing to it, just possibilities...

I think Crono's fighting style is similar based on their latent magical abilities. Crono's Slash move for instance is a lot like a move...Slash...uses...I...never noticed that correlation between those names...Well, I think that similarity is because such abilities can be common. I mean, Crono pretty much learns that right off the bat, right? Everything else besides Cyclone is magically inclined.

I dont think so. How many katana/saber can create a shockwave with sword swing. it need a master to teach such skill.
Probably katanas and saber are common among the Mystic.
Regarding, katana, in the Melchior hut when you touch a sword(katana) on the wall melchior says:

MELCHIOR: That sword is an invention
   of mine.
   It's lightweight and handles superbly.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
Masa, Mune, Turnip
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2004, 08:37:42 pm »
Crono's Slash move is a simple force of directed Chi, which is a common move in most eastern mythologies. Also, it doesn't look to me that Crono has a master...He learns Slash on his own for instance. And in the anime cut-scenes he's seen practicing his sword skill alone.

Also, I don't think that reference of Melchior's means that he created all of the katanas or whatever, just that one behind him (and probably the ones he sells).

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Masa, Mune, Turnip
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2004, 06:32:03 am »
Yup, Garai and Radius have some slash/shockwave/chi attacks too (along with they childs/apprentices Dario, Glenn and Serge), and those two Devas come from Zenan Mainland. So it must be a well-spread kind of attack.

Swordmaster

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Masa, Mune, Turnip
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2004, 11:46:47 pm »
Crono's Slash move is a simple force of directed Chi, which is a common move in most eastern mythologies. Also, it doesn't look to me that Crono has a master...He learns Slash on his own for instance. And in the anime cut-scenes he's seen practicing his sword skill alone.

Also, I don't think that reference of Melchior's means that he created all of the katanas or whatever, just that one behind him (and probably the ones he sells).

Quote from: Chrono'99
Yup, Garai and Radius have some slash/shockwave/chi attacks too (along with they childs/apprentices Dario, Glenn and Serge), and those two Devas come from Zenan Mainland. So it must be a well-spread kind of attack.

My point is that the Crono master was his Father (probably dead in a war) that have connections with the Mystics/Demi-humans from were came his techniques. As Chrono'99 stated that Garai and Radius learned his techniques from someone and taught to they childs/aprentice. Thats whay the similaritys between the techs, they have the same roots.

about Melchior:
Why he said "invention" instead "creation". The world of Chrono series sure have you inventor/pioneer in most diferent things. Or Do you think Thomas Edson existed in Guardia?

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
Masa, Mune, Turnip
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2004, 03:14:35 am »
My point was that Crono doesn't learn Slash from anyone...

I thought he meant either the steel or the process for creating the blade were his, as it handles superbly and yet is incredibly light. He doesn't say "I created katanas! Cool, huh?". And no, I don't even know who 'Thomas Edson' is...So I'm guessing he's not in Guardia, but who's to say, right?

Daniel Krispin

Masa, Mune, Turnip
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2004, 03:29:07 am »
Does not the freed Schala, in her speech at the end of CC, say something to the effect that "maybe we are just the dreams of the planet before it is born" (ZeaLitY, am I somewhat right?)? CC is centered around that hypothesis, I think (much as I personally dislike it). I think the intended idea, at least by what is shown in the ending, is that every living thing on the planet is part of the earth's dream, and that includes Crono and Serge. "The planet's dream isn't over yet", ie. it's not the end for living things. And Schala does say that "yes, all dreams return in time to Zurvan, the Sea of Dreams". That's supposed to be Chrono universe heaven, unless I miss my mark. And the people and living things are the dreams.
On the note of Masa/Mune, which I just a second ago explained my thoeries on in another thread about the sword, I think that they are not so much the uncouncious but concious dreams of Melchior. His hopes and dreams, born from the force of his will, together with the magic of the dreamstone.

Swordmaster

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Masa, Mune, Turnip
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2004, 12:44:47 am »
My point was that Crono doesn't learn Slash from anyone...

I think he got skill and focus enough to use with proficiency..  

I thought he meant either the steel or the process for creating the blade were his, as it handles superbly and yet is incredibly light. He doesn't say "I created katanas! Cool, huh?". And no, I don't even know who 'Thomas Edson' is...So I'm guessing he's not in Guardia, but who's to say, right?

A sword is know for the format of it blade and the quality, so if you create a new type of steel and a new blade type you invented a new type of sword. If the user call it Katana, Rapier or other name it's do not matter.
And the inventor Thomas Edson was a joke. :lol:

We are off topic so lets create a topic about Crono and friends origins. Do you agre?

Green Dream

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Masa, Mune, Turnip
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2004, 01:54:11 am »
I don't think Masa and Mune are Melchoirs hopes and dreams in a physical form, but rather the physical form of everyone in existances hopes and dreams.  When you first go to fight Magus, Frog says, "Mine name is Glenn... Cyrus's hopes and dreams... And now the Masamune..." Now that I think about it it's like he saying he is everyones hopes and dreams, when you look at the symbolism.  Also, when you talk to Frog when the masamune is broken he says," Nary a soul remains to mendeth the Masamune."  Kind of like how he's depressed and feels there is nothing to bring back his hopes and dreams.  The guy who says that the sword is Melchoirs hope and dreams may not realize that the sword is of his hopes and dreams too.

Masa, Mune, and Doreen are very interesting creatures.  It might be possible that they are all from this Zurvan place.  They all seem to have a higher understanding of our world.  Maybe why Masa and Mune fall asleep in the sword in cross is because they realize that none of it all really matters.  Doreen does really come off being like Buddha.  When the Doreen talk to Masa and Mune, shes angry at them for not doing anything.  For her, it is like things that happen on earth are important.  Kind of like how Buddha taught that things in this life didn't need to be seen as real, yet stilled cared to travel around to spread his teachings.

Another point the game brings up is that we are all the planets dreams.  That it is possible that everything in this game was just a dream.  Well aren't humans sort of like the dreams of our god(For some religions at least).  Created in an image.

Edit: Do I have like the magical ability to kill topics or something?  Ever since I posted, nothing has been added.