24 (36.4%)
It has temporal plot holes.
17 (25.8%)
It's too easy.
9 (13.6%)
Other (please post what)
16 (24.2%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: 6/30/06 - What is Chrono Trigger's real flaw?  (Read 11755 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
6/30/06 - What is Chrono Trigger's real flaw?
« on: June 23, 2006, 03:34:22 pm »
Vote!

joemomma

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Re: 6/30/06 - What is Chrono Trigger's real flaw?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 05:14:25 pm »
In all reallity this game in my strong opinion has no flaws, but If i had to give it consrtutive critisism it would be how shot the game is and the lack of Zeal coverage. I think Zeal should rise once more.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 07:34:28 pm »
For an SNES game, length is ok.

I was more concerned with the temporal mechanics. It is possible for an effect to come before an action.

Marle's disappearance, Schala, Magus, the time gates . . . these weren't explained enough. Did Marle really go to someplace "cold" and "dark", something like the DBT? What really happened with Magus after the time gate closed? Where is the Schala in the original time line before you go back in time? The many things like these confused me at first, but the flaw of CT, in my opinion were those temporal plot discrepancies.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 05:48:41 am »
I voted "It's too short", but I'm thinking more about the deepness than the actual length. The Present, Middle Ages, and Zeal were deep and interesting, but I believe they could have made the Future and the Prehistory more complex and a bit more important in the overall story.

GrayLensman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 10:54:19 pm »
The biggest problem with Chrono Trigger was that Ayla was gypped out of a side quest.  No singing mountain is a total rip-off.

People might expect me to have a problem with time-holes, but Chrono Trigger is an upbeat adventure story and the few mechanical inconsistencies do not interfere with the plot.

However, another problem is the inability to rearrange the party during combat, which is a major annoyance.

Ramsus

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 04:41:12 am »
Chrono Trigger was produced by Square too late in the company's growth to become one of its big title series. Now most of the best stuff published by Square-Enix other than Final Fantasy (and now Dragon Quest)-related work is actually created by small, third-party studios. It's easier to let the small guys work on the innovative, risky titles and slap on the Square-Enix logo. They don't have to pay for development, and they get to choose the best ones.

Then they can throw all their resources into working on less risky endeavors, namely anything related to the Final Fantasy series, because they know it'll sell well no matter what.

Had Chrono Trigger been produced by a smaller company with no major bread and butter titles, the developers would have left it more open to future sequels. Based on the game's popularity, you'd definitely have seen them too.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 12:41:29 pm »
Only 6 votes. You guys suck.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 02:30:19 pm »
Now it's seven Zealty :)

GrayLensman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 10:36:48 pm »
Only 6 votes. You guys suck.

You should have put an option that Chrono Trigger has no flaws, so everyone would vote for that.

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 08:47:36 am »
My turn:

I don't think it's to short, because you can easiely play +20 h just on one playthrough(not getting Level **)

Temporal Plotholes... any examples for ma stupidyness?

And to easy: Maybe, but you can make it even harder if it's to easy for you (like Low-Level-Game etc.).
I don't think it's a flaw, it is better to make a game a bit easier so a lot of people can play throught it than to make it uber hard but no one will actually go on playing. I hate games where you die 10+ time on one boss because he is just to strong...not that this happens that much.

The only thing I don't like is that it wasn't released in Europe, but that's not a flaw of Chrono Trigger, more a flaw of SE.

LucianoBraga

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 03:50:51 pm »
I canīt vote, because for me, CT has no flaws.
CC has. A lot of them. Actually, CC IS a giant flaw.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 04:05:59 pm »
I canīt vote, because for me, CT has no flaws.
CC has. A lot of them. Actually, CC IS a giant flaw.

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Stories/36

There is a fine difference between opinion and objective criticism. Read that article.

Vargose

• Chrono Trigger Threads of Time
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 06:50:05 pm »
two words
Silent Protagonist

mondragon369

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • www.moniker.nl
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2006, 06:59:02 pm »
palette swapping (can't be helped, I know)
and I agree with the earlier poster who commented on the relative emptiness of the prehistoric era and the future.
Actually I think the chrono trigger world could have done with a little more body and places to go in all eras.
So memory size in stead of palette swapping.

Deathcabkerouac

• Iokan (+1)
  • Ab initio, a caelo usque ad centrum, dum vita est.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2006, 07:44:22 pm »
Peronally, it truly is a FLAWLESS game.

The plot was quite thick for the SNES RPG era (and still stands as one of the best, most original video game plots EVER).  It was also comfortably paced, with the length making it not too long, but not too short.

The only 'flaws' (and they aren't even real flaws, just two things I figured could've been built upon) were:

1.) All the time-traveling could've made more of an impact, with the overall plot having had more explanations for events and what not.  The game could've spoon fed us some more (instead of us all conversing and making our own canonical ideas).  Then again, that's actually a reason a like it, so this is a matter of preference.

2.) I would've liked to have seen more character development.  For instance, here are several idea's:

<Crono - Maybe has problems with his childhood and the absense of his father (perhaps he died, perhaps imprisoned, maybe even just disappeared, etc.)
<Marle - I felt she had the most development, and for her I have no real complaints.  She had family issues with her father and with her mother's death, and she was quite rebellious.  This was pretty much solved in the game as she grew as a character.
<Lucca - She was a genious, and the only real development we got was that her mother's legs had been ravaged by a malfunctioning machine.  It is assumed that this was the reason Lucca became so interested in machinery, because she was incapable of saving her mother.  Then again, maybe she just inherited her father's love of tinkering with machinery.
<Ayla - Little development, mainly just Humans -vs- the Reptites.  Maybe she could've struggled with defining 'humanity' or the differences in Humans and Reptites.  I dunno, something.  Maybe even some development between her and Kino...?
<Frog - I always thought that he would've made a great character to base around chivalry and religion.  He struggled with self-guilt and lacking faith in oneself, but it would've been nice to see him as relgious and revrent.  Not necessarily a zealot (and his religious doesn't have to be Christianity - it could've been left open-ended), but a follower.  For instance, maybe he didn't want to hurt others because of religious reasons but comes to grip with fighting as a means of protecting his religious and his friends.  I dunno.  He could've also been instilled with a stronger sense of chivalry.
<Robo - A great internal struggle would've been nice: "am I man or machine?"  Although he was a machine, his loyalties could have posed a problem for him.  He was a literal machine but had the mind and self-awareness of seemingly human.  He could have dealt with struggling to find loyalties.  Or something along those lines.
<Magus - The character was great.  I would've liked to see him just fleshed out more...to make him more of a tragic hero.  Magus has such a great story, a little bit of filler would'nt hurt, however.

I hope this helped...?