Author Topic: Time Travel Books/Games  (Read 2108 times)

Pureone.

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.elkayam.com
Time Travel Books/Games
« on: May 30, 2004, 08:38:41 am »
I was wondering If anyone could point me toward any good books or games with a time travel theme, Oh of course this excludes Chrono Trigger...
Thanks In Advance

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Time Travel Books/Games
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 06:52:14 pm »
There is no greater series of books for all your many needs (time travel, dimensional travel, western, sci-fi, thrills, chills, sexy undead chicks, etc etc etc...) than Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. The first is called "The Gunslinger". Okay...Maybe "sexy" undead chicks isn't right...But zombies are abound as well as robots!

Hobbes

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Time Travel Books/Games
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 11:53:42 pm »
If you are intersted in stuff like the scientific aspect of time travel then:

Stephen Hawking
Stephen Hawking
Stephen Hawking

He is the man.  Or if you want more on stories about Chrononauts go for Time Machine by Wells.  More time travel huh?  Ummmm...  Just cause Calvin and Hobbes rocks they have one two time travel stories.  I am apauled that I cannot think of any more.  Feel free to slap me.

Daniel Krispin

Time Travel Books/Games
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 06:15:10 pm »
Okay, I know of an interesting, unfinished book that has a hint of time travel, written by Tolkien. Its called the Lost Road, but he only ever wrote a chapter of two of it. Though it's typical Tolkien, and thus atypical time travel. Most of what he wrote for it is before the time travel takes place, and there are only a dozen or so pages after, but he had intended a longer story. Since it was never finished, almost noone knows about it (likewise no one knows of his sequel to Lord of the Rings, of which he wrote only 1 chapter). The Lost Road, basically, concerns a linguist in modern times (I think he was modelling this after himself), who continually has words in Elvish come to him. He stands on the edge of the sea and says things like "the Eagles of the Lords of the West coming upon Numenor" when he sees a distant stormcloud. Near the end of what was written, Elendil comes to him in a dream and says that it is ordained that he may travel back. This he does, and travels to the time just before the destruction of Numenor. The catch is that he takes Elendil's place and, after travelling back, appears to be Elendil (and thinks himself to be Elendil). This, however, gives remarkable insight into the Numenoreans of Tolkien's myth, as when Elendil tells his young son Isildur that their "darts fly over leagues unerring and pass like thunder" (guided missiles?!). It's a shame that the story ends shortly thereafter and that he never finished it.

YbrikMetaknight

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • I strike fast and disappear for years at a time.
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Compendium
Time Travel Books/Games
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2004, 09:41:07 pm »
[monotone]cough cough Michael Crichton's Timeline cough cough[/monotone]

Pureone.

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Time Travel Books/Games
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2004, 09:22:11 am »
Quote from: YbrikMetaknight
[monotone]cough cough Michael Crichton's Timeline cough cough[/monotone]

That was a great book, but it was more like an action movie than a book with time paradoxes and time travel and whatnot, and I also disliked that whole theory about that almost nothing changes no matter what you do in the past.

Pureone.

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Time Travel Books/Games
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2004, 09:27:44 am »
Quote from: V_Translanka
There is no greater series of books for all your many needs (time travel, dimensional travel, western, sci-fi, thrills, chills, sexy undead chicks, etc etc etc...) than Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. The first is called "The Gunslinger". Okay...Maybe "sexy" undead chicks isn't right...But zombies are abound as well as robots!

I'll check it out thanks.... also anyone who is looking for time travel games/books I have a few of my own that are pretty good.

Arhtur C. Clarke: The light of other days

Isaac Asimov: The dead past

Isaac Asimov: The End of Eternity (The best time travel book IMO)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Time Travel Books/Games
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2004, 02:57:52 pm »
There's a short story called Chronopolis.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
Time Travel Books/Games
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2004, 06:41:22 pm »
Quote from: Pureone.
I was wondering If anyone could point me toward any good books or games with a time travel theme, Oh of course this excludes Chrono Trigger...
Thanks In Advance

Oh, I was just thinking...Does that also leave out the many fabulous (Okay, I haven't really read any of them..sue me! I'm writing my own dammit! No time! <---bad pun) Chrono Fanfics on this very site? READ THEM!

edit: I always forget those damn quotation marks for the quotes (funny, no?)

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
Time Travel Books/Games
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2004, 07:58:37 pm »
OMG! How could I forget one of the greatest sci-fi time travel-inclined books of all time?

Kurt Vonnegut Jr.'s Slaughter House Five

It's a MUST READ!!! I'm tellin' ya. You won't be dissapointed, and if you are...You aught to be shot or something *snicker*

EscapeDummy

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Time Travel Books/Games
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2004, 12:25:21 am »
A book that really isn't well known that does deal with time travel (and also has an interesting concept of it) is Pastwatch, By Orson Scott Card.