Author Topic: Endings  (Read 49204 times)

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
Re: Endings
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2009, 02:43:05 pm »
Everything before the dream devourer is definitely fine ill have to replay the ending myself t comment on the rest. The oart that mainly concerns me is If I remember correctly zeals final speech talking about the dream devourer is pretty awesome. I also kind of like how when they get out there's some lines saying "maybe its not our fight?" but having magus being the only one who knows definitely has some appeal. I'm not back till late today it seems like the devourer stuff is mainly dialogue change?  Well except the flame exploding a this shouldn't block you I guess? Ance its mainly dialogue If zeality is ok with it feel free to do it.

Jp

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2009, 03:34:31 am »
Yeah, the new ending can be changed to allow the expanded ending. The fact that they all know about it sort of reconciles the mysteriousness of the team's involvement with Chrono Cross, and the fact that the old team apparently visited Lucca's orphanage after 1005 A.D., since there are drawings of Frog, Ayla, Robo, etc. if they know the Dream Devourer is still out there, it's logical that they visited about it, even if Belthasar ultimately told them to sit it out or made preparations for the Crono Marle Lucca ghosts.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2009, 06:25:25 pm »
Mmh, I just realized almost everybody will miss the expanded ending, possibly even in NG+ playthroughs, because once the Time Egg is used at North Cape it's used once and for all: if curious players use up the Time Egg before doing the sidequests (just to have a peek at the final dungeon, before going back to the overworld), they will basically nullify any chance of getting the expanded ending whether they do all the sidequests or not. Is there any workaround possible?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 06:32:52 pm by Chrono'99 »

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2009, 06:57:44 pm »
SOrry for my ignorance but what is the criteria for the expanded ending?  I thought it was just finishing all the sidequests? Or wait....was it something about beating all the sidequests before going into the Mashup?

Hm.....if that's the case we could put a warning something along the lines of "We may never be able to come back, if there's anything we need to do in here we better do it first!".   I think our target audience (people playing a rom hack of a 10+ year old Snes game) would be hard core enough to either go do all the sq first or atleast realize they should go back there during a new game+ and do all the sidequests first.

--JP

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2009, 02:58:31 pm »
To get the expanded ending, the player has to complete all the sidequests before using the Time Egg at North Cape.  If you complete all the sidequests but don't have the Time Egg left, it will make the expanded ending impossible (since the Egg is supposed to be used in that expanded cutscene).

I don't know if many people would think about saving that Time Egg... The location of Dalton's dungeon and that of Singing Mountain were stated very clearly in the demo but many people didn't get it. Besides, once you use the Egg you can actually go back to the overworld, so the warning may seem non-warranted or something.

Mmh, need to think about a solution...

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2009, 03:50:16 pm »
You have CML talking at the end right? I guess you could have Lucca give them another prototype with a warning that it could backfire?  That scene takes place at an undisclosed time right so it could have been like 3 years later?

--JP

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2009, 05:37:31 pm »
Double Post but 99 I also wanted to check that you are OK with what I mentioned in the ROM thread about not being able to insert the Dalton It's good to be King ending ( the portal isn't accessible at this point).

--JP

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2009, 06:18:48 am »
Yeah, no problem. Making the portal accessible would kind of break the flow in that part of the game.

The bonus scene takes place right after returning to 1005 since Crono says "It's the first chance we've really had to sit down and talk". I guess what I'll do is this:

* At North Cape, the textbox asks you if you want to use the Time Egg or a different item.
* If you use the Time Egg, there's a warning, like "Are you sure? It's the last Time Egg we'll have in a while" or something.
* The other item you can use is the Annihilation Energy Agitator. It isn't powerful enough to open the distortion, but the fact that you can try to use it might make the player realize something is going on.
* If you complete all the sidequests, Belthasar will note that your Annihilation Energy Agitator has absorbed lots of...annihilation energy, recently, and that it can actually open the DBT distortion now. If you already used the Time Egg, he will add "You could have kept the Time Egg for a later use, ohoho!" or something. The characters could even repeat that sentence at North Cape, to make it really clear that the player could have kept the Time Egg.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2009, 07:16:51 am »
Sounds good, I agree that our current implementation is pretty harsh.  However, can we add a warning for using the Agitator as well.  If we only have a warning for the time egg it's prett obvious that the "correct choice" is to use the agitator. Also I'm assuming that the expanded ending is based off completing the sidequest rather than JUST using the agitator instead of the time egg.

--JP

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2009, 07:59:11 am »
Yeah, the expanded ending requires that you keep the Time Egg, which means that you have to enter the DBT through a different mean than breaking that Time Egg. The only solution I found is that by completing all sidequests you somehow "charge" the Agitator with energy, which can then be used to enter the DBT.

Basically...

* Don't do all the sidequests, use the Time Egg = You get the regular ending.
* Don't do all the sidequests, use the Agitator = The Agitator isn't powerful enough to open the DBT; you can't progress this way.

* Do all the sidequests, but you had already used the Time Egg = The Agitator is powerful enough to open the DBT, but you get the regular ending anyway since you don't have a Time Egg left.

* Do all the sidequests, but use the Time Egg (despite Belthasar telling you that you can use the Agitator now) = You get the regular ending.
* Do all the sidequests, use the Agitator = The Agitator works and you get the expanded ending.

The scheme is a bit complicated but with proper warnings/hints it should be okay.