Author Topic: The 80's were phenomenal  (Read 1800 times)

Ramsus

Re: The 80's were phenomenal
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2006, 05:03:08 am »
It's easy to feel nostalgia for a time you didn't live through as an adult, especially based on all of the surviving media from the period.

Honestly, I prefer the 90s to the 80s. Probably has something to do with Seinfeld, Friends, and the Drew Carey Show.

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2006, 05:16:55 am »
The 80s ruled.  They produced The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, and a bunch of kids' TV shows that are still fun to watch even if they're so thin you can dissect them with a sponge (COWABUNGA MOTHER FUCKERS!)  Not only that, the 80s saw the launch of the video game industry in earnest with Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy, and a ton of other games that this forum wouldn't exist without.  We got most of the better episodes of The Next Generation, and a bunch of other sweet shows.  It also saw the invention of the Internet, though it didn't become a mass medium until the 90s.

And I hate the Drew Carey Show, Seinfeld, and Friends.  Hell, Power Rangers has more social value than they do.

Quote from: Willow Rosenberg
(reading graffiti) Kiss rocks?  Why would anyone want to...oh.

Now the late 90s mostly sucked, and so do the 2000s so far.  We got DO A BARREL ROLL, but nothing can make up for the horrific childhood-raping that was The Phantom Menace, or the idiocy that is reality TV.  I know I wasn't alive when Star Wars came out, but TPM was bad even when I was twelve.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 05:20:43 am by Hadriel »

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2006, 05:30:50 pm »
Yeah, who needs the '80's? With it's AIDS and stock market bureaucratic nonsense? Go the '60's! Peace, casual sex, and war protesting! Everything that people are trying (and failing) to recreate.

Quote from: Dr. Hunter S. Thompson (R.I.P.)
There was no point in fighting -- on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark -- the place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2006, 08:52:28 pm »
Yes, I am an adamant fan of the 60's too. The hippies had something, although they had no real way to exact change except to drop out and become a visible rebellion. Some of them were left in the 60's, never making it out (symbolically). Others became cynical, and yet others transformed into corporate decision makers and retained some of their idealism. And others died.

grey_the_angel

• Alternate Primary Member
  • CC:ALSAT project leader/sole member >.>
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2006, 10:10:52 pm »
Yes, I am an adamant fan of the 60's too. The hippies had something,
Aids?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2006, 10:21:02 pm »
Know your history. The AIDS epidemic began in 1981. The kind of sex that went on in the 60's was possible through a larger absence of venereal disease.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2006, 04:16:22 am »
AIDS didn't exist, but other STD's sure did.

grey_the_angel

• Alternate Primary Member
  • CC:ALSAT project leader/sole member >.>
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2006, 04:59:41 am »
Know your history. The AIDS epidemic began in 1981. The kind of sex that went on in the 60's was possible through a larger absence of venereal disease.
there's no such thing as an absence of venereal disease, only lack of humanize mutantions. most disease were discovered to be originally found in animals. animal people eat, and spend into people. thus, adaptation onto humans.

I learned that in sexual educations. also: legal age in lousiana: 14 :3 its the pedo state.

Hadriel

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2006, 08:14:52 am »
Well, you're right next to Alabama, so go figure.

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2006, 03:28:55 pm »

Absence of veneral disease? What earth was this on? We've known of venereal diseases for the past couple hundred years.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2006, 04:20:23 pm »
larger absence

As in less prevalent. If all of you are ribbing this to attack hippies, remember that they were important. The entire reaction to the horrible Vietnam war and prejudice was needed, and it put out a lot of great music, idealism, and culture. It couldn't have lasted any longer than it did, mainly because drugs had taken hold and the counterculture realized they had to find jobs or starve. But it had to happen, and the watersheds of the 60's continue to influence the present.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2006, 04:57:16 pm »
Just goes to show how powerful the adjective is. It can vastly change the meaning of the nouns it is in conjunction with. Know the adjective role, bitches! :lol:

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2006, 05:08:11 am »
The 80's produced R.E.M and The Flaming Lips, too.