Author Topic: The 80's were phenomenal  (Read 1799 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
The 80's were phenomenal
« on: June 21, 2006, 03:12:49 am »
Each time I find a new piece of pop culture from the 1980's, I realize how awesome that decade was. Reagan was a stable and just president; he had shortcomings, but his charisma and honest demeanor were miles higher than that of Clinton or Bush. Beautiful material things were blooming, like personal computers, mobile phones, and all kinds of musical utilities. The general attitude was "things are looking up!" Songs were still written and arranged by artists, featured improvisation, and maintained optimistic or interesting attitudes. Rap had just been kicked off, and was still political and hard-driving. Rock hit a great stride with 80's pop; melodies and catchy lines reigned and the attitude was sincerely fun. The band members were actually engaging most of the time, and celebrity was justified with addictive numbers. Jazz fusion and funk reinvented itself; Herbie Hancock achieved popularity. Party was king; Prince and Michael Jackson contributed to the atmosphere and the feeling was good. Prince especially rocked the place; he started out strong and wrapped it up with Batman (1989), leaving the 80's on top. Music videos were just being introduced, and this phase produced some of the best. Music videos still demanded a plot involving the band, a budget, and oftentimes flashy, complex dancing. Movies and TV were unafraid to be genuinely humorous and campy; the A-Team and CHiPs kicked it off. The brat pack was enjoyable throughout; the Breakfast Club was capable of actually inspiring thought (although admittedly things like Porky's and Fast Times didn't live up to that). High school culture in the 80's was legendary, creating its own genre.

A creative stride was also realized with Miami Vice, which penetrated the material glamor of the 80's. Towards the end, Star Trek was revived by its most important television series -- The Next Generation. The bright outlook of that show contributes to the optimistic memory of the 80's. The information age was not yet upon us. Person computers did not suck in users; people still had to look outside for entertainment, friendship, and enjoyment. People were not yet wired. Nowadays, it seems futile for some people to take a vacation; I know someone who goes to a very nice place, but is constantly seen with a laptop in case the company rings. Video games were coming out, and were fun with minimal technology (they required imagination). Nerds were popularized, as was science. Breakdancing and aerobics exploded. Fashion, particularly, grew to a colorful array of bold styles. Cars became more angular, and the ultimate statement was the De Lorean, which beamed with a gray, stainless steel body. It was immortalized in Back to the Future, yet another film franchise with a happy theme. The 80's also saw the full advent of the blockbuster; Indiana Jones and others solidified the idea of a megahit.

In summary, things were looking up. Pop culture was happy, and minds were on the future as computers were born and the Berlin Wall fell. The American Dream was revived in the glamor and materialism of the decade, and it all happened to a soundtrack of mostly competent musicianship and enjoyable songs. If I had a time machine, I would go to January 1, 1980, and promptly live it up like crazy, partaking in everything the decade had to offer.

I know that some of this comes from looking back and only seeing the good material of the 80's. But when compared to the dropoff that came with the early 90's and the subsequent suck of Clinton, Bush, and some of pop culture that's occurred since, I get nostalgic for a decade I was too young to fully experience. Here's to the 80's. I will own a De Lorean soon. Hail to the enjoyment of life as depicted with the sensible party atmosphere of the 1980s. Rent Weekend at Bernie's sometime. Really, listen to something like "Electric Chair" from Prince's Batman soundtrack or "Sledgehammer" by P Gabriel.

Anyhow, the real point of this thread: http://www.kingofbeaver.com/music_videos/
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 03:33:11 am by ZeaLitY »

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Re: The 80's were phenomenal
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 04:30:26 am »
Then Axl Rose had to come and fuck it all up. Then Damon Albarn came to create Brit Pop (screw the Stone Roses). Of course, a little man named Kurt Cobain soon became big, and destroyed both, until he destroyed himself. Pfft, the Eighties. Glam Rock!? Hair Metal!? KISS!? What sicko created the Eighties!?

Yes, when talking of the past, I say it in a musical sense. The past isn't good for anything else.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 05:41:55 pm »
Don't snort cocaine. Cocaine is a drug. And drugs are bad. M'kay?

kian

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 09:13:44 pm »
i love 80s music.  the problem is i havent seen a music video in so long i forgot how the 80s bands look like total douchebags.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 09:53:33 pm »
I think ZeaLitY was going for a slightly more intellectual mood, here...

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 11:02:06 pm »
Well...

The 80's produced Maiden, Helloween...

And ME

How could they not be phenomenal?

grey_the_angel

• Alternate Primary Member
  • CC:ALSAT project leader/sole member >.>
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 02:24:11 am »
Well...

And ME

I dunno, that last one is kinda iffy.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 11:54:03 pm »
These questions should be answered for individuals who were born before the 80s or during the early 80s.

You would need to experience it before reflecting on it. Sadly I am incapable of answering it. However, some 80s music I have sampled from the past have been quite amazing.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 03:56:47 am »
These questions should be answered for individuals who were born before the 80s or during the early 80s.

You would need to experience it before reflecting on it. Sadly I am incapable of answering it. However, some 80s music I have sampled from the past have been quite amazing.
Like Tears For Fears and Cindy Lauper. 80's was basically made up of three things, Madonna, Michael Jackson and Synth Pop. Or so I gather.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 04:08:47 am by Burning Zeppelin »

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 07:21:35 pm »
Exactly.

I've heard Michael Jackson was amazing back in his youth. His music was very good, the best.

Then he started touching little children and . . .

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 07:24:50 pm »
Yes, Michael Jackson of the 80's was a dynamic personality who made infectious tunes and great music videos. He was abducted by aliens and replaced with an imperfect clone. The real Jackson is still out there somewhere, grooving to Beat It and pumping up the party lifestyle of the decade...

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 07:40:25 pm »
Face it Zeality, the old Michael Jackson was murdered. And I mean that exactly the way Obi-Wan meant it.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2006, 02:24:25 am »
You didn't live in the 80's, did you Z? :lee:

cupn00dles

• Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2006, 03:06:35 pm »
Well...

And ME

I dunno, that last one is kinda iffy.

YEAH RIGHT  :lol:

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2006, 04:24:28 pm »
Kylie Minogue totally kicks more ass now than she did in the '80s...and she's still freakin hot!