Author Topic: Importing Music Tutorial  (Read 2512 times)

Vargose

• Chrono Trigger Threads of Time
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Importing Music Tutorial
« on: June 19, 2006, 01:43:23 pm »
After a few corrections we have a new importing music tutorial. Special Thanks to JLukas and Vehek for figuring out the two byte size header.

Also check out my new patch for The FF6 Battle Music. Its pretty sweet.
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php?topic=2842.msg51105#msg51105

[attachment deleted by admin]

Nem

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Re: Importing Music Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 06:40:33 am »
Hi!

Just a suggestion, where you say to XOR the pointer's most significant byte with 0xC0, change that for "OR", unless someone got an SPC pointer to point to an address over 0x400000 (in which case I'd like to know how it's done).

The address where SPC song data begins in the SPC file appears to depend on the source game. I found the SPC song data for other Radical Dreamers SPCs at 0x2500, and for the Prerelease it looks like the address is 0x2100.

That two byte header makes it much easier to rip SPC data! I ripped the data from Radical Dreamers and the Prerelease into individual files. The Prerelease ones seem to be okay, but in the Radical Dreamers ones it sounds like there is a delay between the first instrument and all the rest (you can hear it clearly in Summer Day). How do I solve that?

Some Prerelease offsets of interest, unheadered ROM, size in decimal:
Code: [Select]
Start Address Size Track
0x0aedae 269 # 014 - Untitled
0x0b1a1e 3590 # 024 - Chrono Trigger
0x0b5023 3271 # 040 - Tyrano Lair (Unused)
0x0b7bc5 784 # 049 - Keeper's Dome

I can post the rest of the list, or maybe a zip with all songs split into individual files, if anyone is interested.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 07:32:39 am by Nem »

Vargose

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 10:30:58 am »
Good Work. This will really help people get these songs. I will be finishing up the table I am working on, tonight, and I'll be sure to include these. I'll be sure to give you credit where credit is due. People will definitely want the unused Pre Release songs.

The delay you are speaking of may have something to do with the song you are replacing. I have ran across a few instances like this. I first replaced Battle 1 with Gale, and nothing seemed to go right. So I tired replacing A Shot of Crisis with Gale and it worked much better.

Thanks for the suggestions on the tutorial aswell. With the corrections from you and Vehek we should have a pretty good Tutorial soon.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 10:44:06 am by Vargose »

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 02:37:03 pm »
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
First SPC file in FFMQ:

31F - SPC File - Same data begins here as in ROM
686B7 - ROM File - Same data begins here as in SPC file

I'm now looking for a pointer table, I don't know if it being LoROM will mess me up pointer-wise though.

I'm not sure if these will work in CT, but It wouldn't hurt to check all of Square's games.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 02:50:17 pm by Chickenlump »

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 10:38:35 pm »
I looked at 31F in a FFMQ SPC file and the data there was the same in EVERY FFMQ SPC file I looked at!

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 01:48:41 am »
It was early, I probably didn't know what I was doing.  :)

I'll need to get the pointers correctly linked with the songs, but the 3 byte pointer for the begining song is at 6BDF5 (plays at title screen). I'll have a better list here soon (compatible with CT or not).

-edit-
Pointers for FFMQ begin at 6BDAE.

6BDAE - pointers in ROM

Names based on SPC pack I downloaded.

Pointer/Track Name/(File Address)

0E 73 85 - Battle 1 (68573)
0E 69 8B - Battle 2 (68B69)
0E 21 93 - Battle 3 (69321)
0E 74 9B - Victory Fanfare (69B74)
0E 0B 9E - World (69E0B)
0E 88 9F - Fossil Labrynth (69F88)
0E 9B A2 - Dungeon of Ice (6A29B)
0E 4F A8 - Lava Dome   (6A84F)
0E 4F AE - Mountain Range of Whirlwinds (6AE4F)
0E 0C B2 - Dungeon and Waterfall (6B20C)
0E 04 B5 - Middle Tower (6B504)
0E 79 B7 - Last Castle (6B779)
0E 2E BF - Beautiful Forest (6BF2E)
0E F8 C2 - Shrine of Light (6C2F8)
0E 43 C7 - City of Forest (6C743)
0E 41 CC - City of Wind (6CC41)
0E 51 D1 - City of Fire (6D151)
0E 03 DA - City of ? (6DA03)
0E 42 DF - Rock 'n' Roll (6DF42)
0E 10 E4 - Rock Theme (6E410)
0E 10 E8 - Fanfare of Friendship (6E810)
0E C2 E8 - Mystic Ballad (6E8C2)
0E AB EA - Hill of Fate (6EAAB)
0E DD EE - Mystic Quest (6EEDD)
0E 73 F4 - Ending (6F473)
0E D3 FB - The Crystal (6FBD3)

« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 10:48:01 am by Chickenlump »

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 09:14:48 am »
City of Wind sounds more tranquil.  City of Fire is really upbeat.  City of Forest has a quiet intro and souds kind of sad.
And the city of wind again is City of Wind ~ Windaria or City of Forest ><.  They do sound alike >_<
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 09:21:53 am by justin3009 »

Vargose

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 09:50:10 am »
I have come across certain compatibility issues. For some games I have either not found the spc data or they are incompatible with Chrono Trigger. Last Night I went on a binge to figure out which games we could use.

Compatible Games:
Front Mission: Gun Hazard (Chrono composer's)
Front Mission
Final Fantasy 6
Radical Dreamers
Chrono Trigger Pre Release
Romancing Saga 3
Treasure Conflix

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 10:28:39 am »
I think Final Fantasy Mystic Quest would work but the game's ancient so who knows

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 11:00:41 am »
Even if it doesn't work, finding SPC data helps myself and others quite a bit (SPC takes up quite a bit of space, and if we are looking for something, no need to look for that something in the areas the SPC takes up. It helps romhackers narrow down their searches for data if they can rule out large portions of the ROM).

Ancient or not, FFMQ had AWESOME music, and reguardless of what most people think, it's a pretty fun game to boot.

(also added the corresponding file addresses for MQ SPC's in last post)

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 12:36:58 pm »
I agree, i've played it before.  I'd say my favorite song in there is Boss Battle (Battle 3 I believe)  I don't know, it's just a good beat...

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 02:10:02 pm »
Either they are incompatible, or I have the wrong offsets (and I suck). :/

An easy way to find spc data in the spc files is to do a compare between 2 spc files from that game. Any program that compares the 2 files and lists the differences and their offsets has helped me in many projects. Other than the headers being different between 2 spcs, they share alot of the same data, untill the actual SPC data starts. At least it will help narrow it down by quite a bit, by providing starting points of where to search, and the size of the differences can be a big giveaway as well. Perhaps once some good tips come from these threads, the tutorial can be expanded to include SNES ROMS in general (since I'm pretty sure it works just as well with all other games that don't have compressed spc's). A few hex editors have this feature, Tiny Hexer for example (you can also have 2 files open at once with it, it's an awesome hex editor). Secret of Mana next. Vargos, would you like me to start another thread for this kind of thing? I didn't mean to hijack your thread with my listings you may or may not use (or even be useable). If you wish, I can go back and delete all my posts to keep your thread clean. :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 02:17:07 pm by Chickenlump »

joemomma

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2006, 02:37:04 pm »
Is there an instument list for SPC's, so you can make the song from scratch or something?

Vargose

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 02:52:49 pm »
An easy way to find spc data in the spc files is to do a compare between 2 spc files from that game. Any program that compares the 2 files and lists the differences and their offsets has helped me in many projects. Other than the headers being different between 2 spcs, they share alot of the same data, untill the actual SPC data starts. At least it will help narrow it down by quite a bit, by providing starting points of where to search, and the size of the differences can be a big giveaway as well. Perhaps once some good tips come from these threads, the tutorial can be expanded to include SNES ROMS in general (since I'm pretty sure it works just as well with all other games that don't have compressed spc's). A few hex editors have this feature, Tiny Hexer for example (you can also have 2 files open at once with it, it's an awesome hex editor).

Yeah doing that does helps alot. Otherwise it is just a guessing game. I have been using that trick the whole time. Sorry for not speaking up.

Secret of Mana next.

I have some sad news. It appears the Secret of Mana family is incompatible with CT

Vargose, would you like me to start another thread for this kind of thing? I didn't mean to hijack your thread with my listings you may or may not use (or even be useable). If you wish, I can go back and delete all my posts to keep your thread clean. :)

You're fine Chickenlump. All these tips will really help develop this skill in people. Thats the whole idea of the tutorial anyway.

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2006, 03:08:15 pm »

Secret of Mana next.

I have some sad news. It appears the Secret of Mana family is incompatible with CT

*weep*

Ah well. Thanks for the heads up before I got too far into it.