Author Topic: A chance for Chickenlump to show off  (Read 3141 times)

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
A chance for Chickenlump to show off
« on: May 31, 2006, 01:53:57 am »
Well CL if ya have some time we have a king Zeal that could really use a kick ass enemy AI.  I'm assuming you can just replace Queen Zeal's AI with whatever you fancy.

--jp

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
Re: A chance for Chickenlump to show off
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 02:27:54 pm »
Ok, I can do this sometime this weekend. Rather than just string together any old (new) AI, I wouldn't mind some suggestions. Of course I'm going to work with what I know, and will probably change around the suggestions I get, I'd like a basic outline of what spells he casts, a counter attack (magic or physical) etc... I'm unsure as to what spells would be appropriate at the point in the game he appears in-battle, so the spells will need to be decided by you guys, with perhaps a sprinkling of Chickenlump randomness tossed in (everything is better when multiple ideas are put into place).

I see more advanced hacking is taking place also, so I hope all the free and unused space inside the ROM is being documented and updated for imported songs and sprites and such (There is probably a list somewhere under my nose, wouldn't surprise me) so nothing gets overwritten. I'll be using freespace for the new AI, and I'll overwrite Zeal's old AI with a lesser being, whoever new gets put into the game at a later date. I'd like King Zeal's AI to not be restricted by the space given to Queen Zeal's old slot.

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 03:30:53 pm »
I may have a few ideas for an attack pattern or whatever he uses, but I would like to know: are you even supposed to win vs him at the ocean's palace? I mean something like a Bonus Item for beating him would be cool, and after that Magus could still freeze him. So not making him impossible(maybe throw in some Elemental vests or Mails/Mermaid & Rainbow Helm and let him use water and lightning?) would be interesting, and because I bet you will face him later on again, then just give him more strengh. Here my ideas:

- How about Crying Heavens? I love that attack, and maybe(because of sucking lavos' energy and stuff) he got the ability to use it.

- No hallation please, or life shaver or whatever, because they are just so stupid in a 1on1, and I would also cut his fireballs, because it's to much Queen Zeal like.

- Do spell like magic wall etc work for enemys? I mean he could open with Magic Wall(because he seems to know Magus' magic power), so Magus' would use his Iscariot most of the time.

- His red arm thingies may be used as a weapon(maybe they can be seen as Dreamstone-arm-blades or something)

- A few Water/lightning attacks if the Elemental Mail stuff is added(so you don#t need to "vast" a precious turn by healing) like...well...he is Magus' father isn't he? So Ice 2, Fire 2 and Lightning 2 like his son(maybe Magus' learnd them from him?)

Just a few thoughts, the stuff in "()" is stuff that should make it fit into the story or situation(I don't know is it's all right, thou)

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 03:33:30 pm »
Good to see ya CL.   So far all I know for sure is that JLukas put the Sun Stone in unused  space.  Vargose is also talking about using unused space for music.  I'll get to work on gathering this data and making a sticky. 

King Zeal's first fight (the one in demo 2) is not supposed to be beaten and he's going to be the final boss as well as being a boss that you can beat early to get a secret ending (think lavos fight in Zeal).  So he's gotta be tough.

I would like to see him be mostly magic, I mean he is from Zeal so he'd probably be good at it.  Maybe all magic except for a physical counter attack (if your close???). 

Maybe Flare/Telekinesis/HP breakdown/and Rust Tyrano's fire breath thing (this one might sound stupid but if you see chrono 99's sprite in action I think it might actually look good

crap I gotta go but I will expand on this post tonight.

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 04:09:01 pm »
Ok then, the 2nd Magus fight style may be fitting:
1st Phase using mostly "normal"(weak) magic attacks (Magus here used his Scyte)
2nd Phase then using magic as counterattack and rapidly other magic attacks(in the 2nd Magus fight he could easiely tripple hit you, 1st from counter and 2 before it's your turn again) AND a speed up for him(Magus Attack speed was doubled or even tripled in his 2nd Phase)
This would fit for the 1on1, for the "last fight", I don't know, I'm more the fighting guy...
Maybe let people buy Barrier somewhere to have a slight chance?

Bye Magus :lee:

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 04:44:35 pm »
For the unwinnable fights, perhaps they could be winnable at high levels (like new game +). So, in normal circumstances, you would lose because of the enemy's sheer power, but in a new game + situation, defeating that enemy would give you a special item only for users of new game +, as a bonus for playing through again. This kind of thing would probably be best gone through and done towards the end of development for Crimson Echoes, but it's a neat idea to throw around.
I'm really impressed by the work done in my absense(sp?), especially the overworld event for taking the fairy to medina. Very nice work there, flawlessly executed. Some really great talent has showed up recently, I'd like to have every talented person we can get involved in one way or another. It all adds up.

Great ideas for the AI, I'm going to take all suggestions, and work them in, or around whatever limitations I currently have with AI (I still can't do everything, but nobody will notice).

I don't remember Crying Heavens, but I will try to find it (a list of techs available through AI would be nice, just one byte change will change an attack, perhaps members with nothing to do could change that byte 255 times, and write down what they think the attack is? It would be of IMMENSE help to me in future AI hacking). Dreamless also has my fancy, because of the whole theme of dreams, and King Zeal using Dreamless (someone also detailed how cool Dreamless was compared to the story as a whole, though I forgot who  :( ).

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 05:51:43 pm »
I don't know if it would work, but since he IS Magus's father, maybe give him Dark Matter or something to show off his evil powers ¬.¬  Idk if the graphics would show up or not but its worth a shot.  You could also have a mixture like that fireball spell zeal has, life shaver, dark matter, etc..
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 06:01:35 pm by justin3009 »

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 06:17:49 pm »
we have gotten ALOT of talent here I'm really proud of everyone. 

I agree with having him be beatable (I'm toying with a "brute force ending that involves the coliseum haha)

--jp

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 06:25:40 pm »
XD.  I can't wait to see King Zeal in action.  I'm also thankful you guys braught up enemy AI data, I had completely forgotten ALL about that stuff.   :shock:  I feel so dumb  :(

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 06:32:58 pm »
XD.  I can't wait to see King Zeal in action.  I'm also thankful you guys braught up enemy AI data, I had completely forgotten ALL about that stuff.   :shock:  I feel so dumb  :(

No need, we all have moments like this (some more than others... *cough ME cough*)  ;)

The coliseum will be a huge draw for CE, it's like a mini project in itself, and it's mostly done, aside from whatever extras you put in (over the course of time, with all that's been learned lately (ALOT) could be anything, rivaling any sidequest in recent RPG history even (seriously, RPG's nowadays suck compared to what we are doing). :)

JLukas

• Fan Project Leader
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2006, 06:33:38 pm »
I relocated the Sun Stone to free space at $1AFD00, so the King Zeal graphics packet could remain at its original offset.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2006, 06:40:24 pm »
Lol, I swear we're like the only people online at Compendium right now...But yes, I have more moments then you could ever believe.  -sigh-  And yes I agree completely with you CL

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2006, 06:43:50 pm »
I relocated the Sun Stone to free space at $1AFD00, so the King Zeal graphics packet could remain at its original offset.

Thanks! I just got done reading the thread about King Zeal overwriting the Sun Stone, a very easy mistake to make when editing compressed graphics (I'm glad people are experimenting with it though).

We should make a small listing of space we could make use of, like unused graphics and junk data not normally used by the game, or stuff we've replaced. I'm a bit wary of using space at the end of the ROM because of what TF uses, though I remember there is a point in that area that TF probably won't reach.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2006, 09:38:39 pm »
Hm, I was going to post more about how to do his AI but honestly who better to make a hard enemy than the heir to the masamune himself?  On monday Vargose is going to be giving me a table of songs that he would want to put in as well as songs we could replace.  This should give us a better idea on what we have availible to us.  Couple quick questions though:

I realize this guy is going to probably be a huge AI so we'll have to use extra space since no other are this big, but if we were to make more custom enemy AI we'd be able to replace other AI...For example I imagine Magus AI is pretty big so we could probably make a boss use that?

Did you notice I bumped an old thread of yours about the adventure of Nu?  It had a very very nice looking skin for text boxes, Chrono 99 tried to mimic it but it didn't look nearly as nice as yours (you can see it in latest patch), did you happen to write it down, if not don't waste time trying to replicate it because your skills are much more valuable doing this more advanced stuff

I'm getting even more excited now, I'll see if I can make this last scene and release a beta.

--jp

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2006, 10:06:46 pm »
I read it just now. All I did there was change the palette for the existing graphics. Just a simple palette change using the very cool snes palette editor by Yousei. All of the palettes for the menu themes are right next to each other.

Putting in the offset 3FB210 will bring Snespal to the very begining of the palettes for the menu themes. As you can see, the shades of grey are more than likely for the default grey theme. Snespal is very simple to use, just move the color sliders to change the colors. After changing the first color, hit the up arrow button by the offset to go to the next color. In this example, I just took all the colors except RED to 0 and saved.

Actually, after recreating it for this mini tutorial, it appears that is exactly what I did, this is exactly what I end up with.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 10:10:19 pm by Chickenlump »