Author Topic: Retranslation discussion  (Read 16077 times)

KWhazit

• Architect of Kajar
  • Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Re: Retranslation discussion
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2007, 01:57:15 am »
And on the topic of retranslation... I just tried tossing アザーラ (NA version: Azala) into Google, and while most of the results were for information on Chrono Trigger, a few referred to something called メディナ・アザーラ, Medina Azahara in English. I can't say whether there's a deliberate connection or not, but it's possible that Azala's supposed to be al-Zahra or Azahara (depending on which rendition of the Arabic you use). Any thoughts on this?

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2007, 02:30:41 pm »
And on the topic of retranslation... I just tried tossing アザーラ (NA version: Azala) into Google, and while most of the results were for information on Chrono Trigger, a few referred to something called メディナ・アザーラ, Medina Azahara in English. I can't say whether there's a deliberate connection or not, but it's possible that Azala's supposed to be al-Zahra or Azahara (depending on which rendition of the Arabic you use). Any thoughts on this?

Very interesting! I don't know what to think about this personally... There are definitely a bunch of Arabo-Islamic references in the game, like the Black Wind (Huayra Yana), Medina, and Prophet Maou (Prophet Muhammad), so this thing with Azala is quite possible. On the other hand, those kinds of references seem to be restrained to the Mystics and Magus, so I'm not sure why the leader of the Reptites in Prehistory would get an Arabic reference. I think this Azahara connection is less pertinent than the other Arabo-Islamic ones. Magus's life parallels Muhammad's life in tons of ways and precise events, while Azala and Azahara don't seem to have much in common besides the fact that Azala's fortress becomes buried and Azahara are buried ruins. Then again, maybe it was the only connection intended, "buried ruins". There is also, maybe, the possibility that this Wikipedia article is not complete in information. The Islamic Black Wind isn't mentioned in Wikipedia either.

Edit: Just as a side-note, Zahra means "brilliant, bright" in Arabic.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 02:33:55 pm by Chrono'99 »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2007, 01:50:29 am »
It is done. Now I must finish the article and make the second script, and the release will commence.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2007, 03:48:57 pm »
Aw c'mon guys, let's get some excitement! The actual translation is done! All that remains is for me to organize the second script and reconcile the articles / annotations.

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2007, 04:17:18 pm »
W00t!! It is finished!!

Great work with everything Zeality. Tell KWhazit  thank you on the behalf of all the Compendium! I look forward to reading it.

Sorry for not posting in forever, been in Florida on Spring Break  :lol:.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2007, 04:28:45 pm »
Aw c'mon guys, let's get some excitement! The actual translation is done! All that remains is for me to organize the second script and reconcile the articles / annotations.
Oh goodie. The retranslation will seriously help with Chrono Trigger +. This makes me happy.

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2007, 06:52:30 pm »
Ah, sorry. I read about this last night, but I didn't respond.
Good luck!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2007, 06:44:42 pm »
Everyone, please read www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Translation_Differences and see if my reasoning is flawed on any of those points. The article will be released with the scripts. The Dialogue Packet Edition of the script is ready; now it's time for me to put the dialogue in the order of the game. I want to release these this week.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2007, 06:54:42 pm »
Everyone, please read www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Translation_Differences and see if my reasoning is flawed on any of those points. The article will be released with the scripts. The Dialogue Packet Edition of the script is ready; now it's time for me to put the dialogue in the order of the game. I want to release these this week.
With a brief lookover, it looks fine to me.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2007, 07:12:51 pm »
Small problem. Firefox just can't handle the 7.80 MB html file produced when I save the 643kb Excel spreadsheet as a webpage. I need to make the scripts accessible to fans without Microsoft Excel, but these results are just too huge for browsers to handle. Suggestions?

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2007, 07:21:44 pm »
Small problem. Firefox just can't handle the 7.80 MB html file produced when I save the 643kb Excel spreadsheet as a webpage. I need to make the scripts accessible to fans without Microsoft Excel, but these results are just too huge for browsers to handle. Suggestions?
Well...how does KWhazit do it on his website? I find the format to not only be easy to read, but pleasant and well-thought out. Perhaps you can just duplicate it somehow...unless that's exactly what you're doing and you're failing.

That's all I can think of, anyway.

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2007, 08:49:58 pm »
Here are a few typos I found while looking it over.

while the Carpenter is told by the Choras Innkeeper that he's had too much sugar for hte day, rather than too much alcohol.

Cyrus: You're too gentle, Glenn......

s
A random s?

Ayla: Ayla wanted meet.

I know typos aren't exactly what you were looking for, but everything seemed alright from what I read. Great work on bringing everything together Zeality. I look forward to the script!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2007, 08:54:48 pm »
Thanks. I've begun the process of building the Game Order script.

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2007, 09:09:46 pm »

I know typos aren't exactly what you were looking for, but everything seemed alright from what I read. Great work on bringing everything together Zeality. I look forward to the script!
What's wrong with that?
Are you thinking it should be "meat"?
It's "meet" because she wanted to meet them again.

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2007, 10:42:55 pm »

What's wrong with that?
Are you thinking it should be "meat"?
It's "meet" because she wanted to meet them again.

I think it ought to be meat if you read the script of that part. She was just going out hunting and found Crono and the gang unconscious. That's the way I take it at least.