Author Topic: Chrono Break Request Form updated  (Read 2109 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Chrono Break Request Form updated
« on: May 23, 2006, 05:24:27 pm »
Kian Morris and a friend who translates Japanese have come through with letters you can send to Square Enix of Japan. Additionally, new sample e-mails are available and the presentation of the Chrono Break request form has been made clearer as well. If you want a new Chrono game, head here and follow the instructions. Be sure to take advantage of all four outlets!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 06:56:43 pm by ZeaLitY »

fxar99

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Oh how I wish to dream again...
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Break Request Forum updated
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 05:05:34 pm »
I guess you meant 'Form', not 'Forum'...   :)

mastermanu

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Do we REALLY want another game?
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 03:39:52 am »
I don't typically write on forums, so this post may be longer than what is considered the norm. Also I am not hesitant to admit that I my opinions tend to be largely cynical and pessimistic, so please feel free to correct / contend with me on this issue.

Before we all start clamoring for a new Chrono game, I believe we need to step back and reflect on the trash that Square Enix has been producing as of recently. Please allow me to clarify the issue with a very recent example:

I played FF7 for the first time very recently (although ironically, I had played all the other FFs before that) and I was, to say the least, astounded by the quality of the game. The graphics were great (relatively speaking), the plot was intriguing and the character development was very well done. That was how Squaresoft worked almost a decade ago - dedicated to producing quality products of the highest caliber. Unfortunately, as businesses grow, the aim goes from producing high quality products to increasing profit margins. Final Fantasy 7 was a great game, but (in my humble opinion), I felt that a sequel would never meet the same standards that they had unwittingly set for themselves, and it seemed Square had silently acknowledged this as for five to six years, they essentially refused to work on extending a best-selling title.

So what changed their decision? Money. I am almost positive that their decision to produce a "FF7 Compilation" was based more on dollar (or yen) signs rather than satisfying the eager/diehard fans of the FF7 franchise. Of course, who can blame a company for wanting to make money? But that is beside the point. Square observed the intensity of fan requests for a sequel and decided to capitalize on this financial opportunity by producing two "sequels" to the original game. Sadly, by doing so, they effectively polluted the entire franchise. Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children was, by far, one of the worst movies I've ever seen - nice CGI but essentially all action, pitiful character development and a one-dimensional, mundane, utterly useless plot. The only thing they managed to get right was the OST, and that was essentially based off of the original game's soundtrack. Final Fantasy 7: Dirge of Cerberus has not been released in the US, but most reviewers have labeled it as a poorly crafted, mediocre game. When a magazine that is largely biased towards your own products (Famitsu) awards a 28/40 to a game that is supposed to be a sequel to one of the best RPGs ever created, you know you have problems. I know some people would argue that two games are better than no games, but I beg to differ. I would have rather that the legacy and image of FF7 remain unblemished instead of Square converting it to complete filth by selling out.

So how exactly does this correlate with the Chrono series? 100%. Chrono Trigger also shares a berth in the upper echelon with FF7 and is as good (if not better) than FF7. Chrono Cross (in my opinion) was of equal caliber although it suffered poor sales in Japan for some reason (possible due to the release of the PS2). Either way, both games were produced before Squaresoft merged with Enix, mutating from a quality-game producing company to a money-grubbing machine. I fear a Chrono sequel because I fear that we will see filth worse than what followed FF7. I can see horrible story lines, poor gameplay and a general defilation of two games which, years after their release, continue to take the gaming community by storm (as evidenced by the existence of sites such as ChronoCompendium.Com). Again, one could argue that a crappy sequel is better than no game at all, but I do not want a product that exploits eager fans like ourselves for profit, and by sending these emails, we are encouraging this sort of thing. If a Chrono game comes out, I want it to be a high quality, intense game. I want it to get a 10/10 on every gaming website and sell millions of copies worldwide. Perhaps I am obsessed with statistics, but both Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross have set high expectations, and if Square cannot even partially reach such expectations, then they should not even bother wasting the avid fan's time and money. Leave the Chrono series pristine - don't infect it with the stupidity that seems to be crawling through SquareEnix's employees.

On top of that, there are logistical issues in producing a sequel that does more than cover random "plotholes" and at the same time present a compelling, unified plot. Couple this giant obstacle with the goal of producing a cheap game to sell rapidly, and upon release, you may have the largest wave of depression to ever hit a set of fans.

Of course, I could be wrong. FF12 received a 40/40 from Famitsu (only the 6th game ever to receive such a rating) and all reviews point to it being on par with FF7. But I still look at FF7:DOC and FF7:AC and FFX-2 and a feeling of dread creeps in my heart. So I ask you all: do we risk another Chrono game? Do we buy into the monster that SquareEnix has become?

Any feedback or discussion on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

joemomma

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Break Request Form updated
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 04:09:02 am »
Dude the we gots the Dream Team, FF all split up I a chrono series is made im pretty sure all the live mebers will participate in the ending of Chrono

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: Do we REALLY want another game?
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 05:19:49 am »
Either way, both games were produced before Squaresoft merged with Enix, mutating from a quality-game producing company to a money-grubbing machine.
By the way since you mention FFX-2: FFX-2 was a game developed entirely by Squaresoft for Squaresoft. By the time of the English version release, Square merged with Enix, but the Japanese version was released before the merging, with the "Squaresoft" label. Also, you didn't mention Kingdom Hearts but this game which quite a few people dislike was also made well before the merging (one whole year or something).

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 12:26:52 pm »
So FF7 was deep, but Advent Children had terrible development?

I'll just be off laughing for the next hour.

mastermanu

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 01:04:29 pm »
I think it was as deep as a video game can get...I am not going so far as to say it is some sort of literary masterpiece, or even remotely close. I guess I just liked the game.  :)   Even if my description of FF7 was hyperbole, you cannot deny FF7:AC was an utter atrocity. I don't know how it gets an 8/10 on IMDB. Perhaps my expectations were far too high for a movie based of a video game. Eitherway, my main point is that I'm just worried that any sequel that is produced in the Chrono series will be of comparable quality (which is none) to AC or DOC. Maybe I'm too cynical on this / lack faith in Square's ability to produce great sequels as of late?

I did neglect to mention Kingdom Hearts, and for the most part those two games have received very good reviews. But isn't Kingdom Hearts tied somewhat to the concept of Square "selling out?" What attracts people to these games? The Disney characters? The storyline? Or the appearance of famous video game characters from Square's past such as Cloud, Sephiroth, Squall, etc? Probably the latter. This is not to say that this isn't a great game. I definitely plan on trying both out this summer, but given that a large part of is cameo appearances by vintage characters...well its easier to go over old characters than produce new ones that aren't repetitive.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 01:32:15 pm by mastermanu »

joemomma

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 02:12:27 pm »
i liked the games, i like enix's games to. they just trying to make some money. You cant hold it to em, all ya can do i put your own dent into history.....

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 02:36:27 pm »
Well, I don't think these fan letters will be providing much more than a reminder anyhow. if SE did decide to make a new Chrono game, they'd have to put Masato Kato in charge. No one else is qualified to do it. If they did not -- that would be the red flag for "oh my god, are we going to have to call this non-canon?!"

mastermanu

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 02:53:05 pm »
Agreed. Look at the caliber of the games whose stories he has helped coordinate:

* Chrono Trigger (1995): story planner
    * Radical Dreamers (1996): director, scenario writer (in collaboration with Miwa Shoda)
    * Final Fantasy VII (1997): event planner
    * Xenogears (1998): event director
    * Chrono Cross (1999): director, scenario writer, event planner, CG storyboard
    * Final Fantasy XI (2002): story writer, event director
    * Baten Kaitos (2003): scenario writer
    * Kirite (2005): book writer (book and album composed by Yasunori Mitsuda are packed together)
    * Deep Labyrinth (2006): scenario writer
    * Seiken Densetsu DS: Children of Mana (2006): scenario writer
    * Seiken Densetsu 4 (2006): scenario writer

I would not object at all if this were to happen. But it seems more likely that we receive a "watered-down" "non-canon" sequel. Perhaps we are sending emails to the wrong person?

joemomma

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2006, 07:54:37 pm »
hey guys they wrote me back here ya go.

Thank you for contacting Square Enix Customer Support,

We hope this letter answers your questions.

Our parent company, SQUARE ENIX of Japan, has no current plans to create a
sequel to that particular title at this time.  This is not to say that it will
never happen, it's just that their development teams are currently focusing on
numerous other projects.

We hope this information has been of assistance.

Thanks,
Square Enix Customer Support
www.square-enix.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: May 23, 2006 4:06:39 PM
Subject: I have a question.

Dear Square Enix,
I am a fan of the Chrono series, which includes the games Chrono Trigger and
Chrono Cross. I very much enjoyed these titles, and am part of a large
community of fans who share in my experiences. I am writing you to express
my desire for a new Chrono game, and my full support in purchasing a new
title. The series is unique, engaging, and very fun, and I would be
overjoyed to see a new addition to its already outstanding lineup of games.

Sincerely,
David A. Fisher

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 10:52:06 am »
Now I decided to write them an actual letter to be sent from the U.S. to Japan, never heard from them yet . . . but damn, you got through instantly. We all should just start writing messages like joemomma did with the SE Support line.

joemomma

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 02:51:25 pm »
i was suprised i got throught, i emailed them right after this form was put up, but i dont think the SE coustomer support is really going to be able to do anything. They might, but when i think of USA's SE i think the people who handle the US money, advertisment, maybe translating games, but not making new games. I know nothing though, it was just a thought.
Now I decided to write them an actual letter to be sent from the U.S. to Japan, never heard from them yet . . . but damn, you got through instantly. We all should just start writing messages like joemomma did with the SE Support line.
i think thats the way to go, but i don't wanna send them the same letter that everyone else is sending, ya know? So i was thinking is there anyone around here who can speak or write japanesse? Just so we can find out if they have someone in SE japan (their in japan right?) who can read english.

Crawler333

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006, 07:34:19 am »
Hi there!This is my first appereance in Chrono Compendium though I played CT some years ago.I would like to ask ZealItY if it's possible to have a .pdf
format of the Chrono Break request form japanese version, because those who don't have a program which allow them to read jap ideograms will not be able to see it.Acrobat Reader, on the other hand, is commonly used and should solve the problem.Bye!!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2006, 01:02:05 pm »
Hm, that's right, isn't it...no easy way to print. Can someone make a .pdf?