Author Topic: Want a new Chrono game?  (Read 89844 times)

ShinGundam

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Re: Want a new Chrono game?
« Reply #180 on: December 07, 2010, 12:02:11 pm »
What i found amusing is that they didn't release CC on PSN.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 07, 2010, 11:48:29 pm »
What i found amusing is that they didn't release CC on PSN.
I actually checked for it on a regular basis for a while but gave up.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 10, 2010, 12:54:10 am »
For a long time capcom didnt make any games but remakes of resident evil 2 and remakes of street fighter 2.

chi_z

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • And you thought the dalton idea was ludicrous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 12, 2010, 12:28:18 am »
not to play devil's advocate, but is there even a need for a new one? CC had a tough time getting things going as it was, the fact that CT didn't specifically go into detail about Sara's whereabouts is the only thing that led to RD/CC stories sprouting from Trigger in the first place.....what loose ends are left? if we remove CC/RD from the picture, the only loose end is what happens to Sara. And no, I don't count the fact that we really don't know what would've become of 2300AD/Robo. Not that big of a deal.
CT dealt with time
CC dealt with dimensions
CB would have to do something even more out there, such as space travel or even multiverse travel (hell, why not time travel through various dimensions).
I'd rather not have a rehash sequel, and I seem to be in the minority in enjoying the fact that Kato didn't just rehash CT when he made CC. So what could they possibly do? In the dream splash fanfics, all I see is completely made up scenarios, none based off any canon loose ties.
CE did the same.

So if anyone can recall any important loose ends other than Sara's unknown whereabouts (Robo's  whereabouts really aren't all that important, not enough to spawn off a new game at least. they can't do everything)....then I really see no reason for another one, CC had a tough enough time coming to fruition as it was.

I would, however, enjoy next gen remakes of CT and CC. I'd love one of RD but Kato seems really really embarrassed by it (I thought his scenario was really good personally).

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 12, 2010, 10:24:45 pm »
Offhand, I can't think of any loose ties other than Schala.  And that's the only one that's really worthy of spinning out a sequel story.  It's interesting that Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross have in common the very same loose end: Schala.  Yeah, she was saved by Serge in Chrono Cross, and then she reset time.  What happens to her after that is really not clear.  I, of course, have a theory, and I'm in the process of writing that story myself.  Schala's fate, as I have written, is surprisingly simple and yet profound.  I didn't want to muddy the water too much with head-scratching plot points.  I wish I could say more, but I don't want to ruin the surprise for people.

chi_z

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 13, 2010, 12:45:01 am »
yea please don't, all the more reason to read your fanfic.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 13, 2010, 05:34:13 am »
I'd be happier with the next one if they didn't try to one-up themselves with everything (chrono break-featuring interdimensional time and space teleportation travel and 276 gotta-catch-em-all playable characters with nothing but triple techs? Nooo thx)

But if they just add to the story and make something fun they'd really be doing themselves a favor. There are a fuckton of loose ends in both games, which do two things. First they inspire a sense of mystery, then they make you think "well wtf DID happen?" Example: Crono's dad. Best thing I could think of on the spot.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 13, 2010, 08:07:18 pm »
I would love to see an old-school, SNES-era style sequel. I'd prefer they tone down the conceptual intensity of Chrono Cross and make it fun and lighthearted again, akin to Chrono Trigger (not saying that Trigger was lighthearted, but side by side with Cross, Trigger looks like a game of hopscotch). Eight characters, time travel mechanics, and a modern twist (perhaps something akin to the Djinn/class changes in the Golden Sun series?). Just a thought...

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 13, 2010, 08:51:40 pm »
....All this talk of loose ends simply serves to remind me that I need to continue my continuation parody. I need to stop procrastinating.

Tomorrow...

Perhaps......

Maybe.....

:P

ZealKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 13, 2010, 09:51:01 pm »
I would hope Brake has more to do with changing the future. I would love to go to different types of futures. Also I bet distortions were what they were going to do like random parts of the map are different times and just walk though them doing something there will change the map.

chi_z

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 14, 2010, 01:27:57 am »
sounds like dark chronicle/dark cloud 2

Rocky

• Porrean (+50)
  • I wonder if you still remember...
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 14, 2010, 03:19:56 pm »
Speaking in terms of the vantage point of just the original, Chrono Trigger, I don't even think Schala's fate was any more important of a loose thread to tie up than other things like Robo's.  We don't see Schala vanish, we just last see her slumped over in the Ocean Palace as it's going down.  And all that's said about her is that 'no one has seen her since.'  So until Chrono Cross (and RD) expounded upon what happened to her, I think it was reasonable for me to just assume she perished in the palace collapsing, nothing more.  Which would mean that to me, there were NO important loose ends that needed addressing.  Isn't that at least a valid thought?

I understand that things change as series continue - all I'm saying is if they could make a second entry based on one unknown eventuality (Schala) that might not even be noteworthy to some players of CT, they could certainly make a third from some other loose thread from CC that we don't think much of YET merely because nothing's been made of it yet.  I hope I'm explaining my thoughts well enough lol.

I guess overall, I thought that CT was complete in and of itself, but CC opened it wide up and left it vulnerable while at the same time making it so complicated that it was hard for me to grasp it, all happening because of one loose thread that I didn't even agree was an important or existing loose thread in the first place.  So I'd either have liked it to just stay one game, or I'd like a 3rd, to help me grasp the 2nd better.  But just leaving it at 2 games, and hard to grasp, leaves me feeling a bit empty about the whole thing....  Even for those who don't feel the same way, do you at least understand what I mean?

Anyway, that's just how I feel.  Nothing more than that.

ZealKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 14, 2010, 04:27:03 pm »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 14, 2010, 04:38:33 pm »
Speaking in terms of the vantage point of just the original, Chrono Trigger, I don't even think Schala's fate was any more important of a loose thread to tie up than other things like Robo's.  We don't see Schala vanish, we just last see her slumped over in the Ocean Palace as it's going down.  And all that's said about her is that 'no one has seen her since.'  So until Chrono Cross (and RD) expounded upon what happened to her, I think it was reasonable for me to just assume she perished in the palace collapsing, nothing more.  Which would mean that to me, there were NO important loose ends that needed addressing.  Isn't that at least a valid thought?

Your post totally makes sense. Schala is just another character in the first game. For all we know, the third official "Chrono" title could be entirely about the fortune-teller from Cross, and go in a third direction, being nothing like Trigger OR Cross.

I understand that things change as series continue - all I'm saying is if they could make a second entry based on one unknown eventuality (Schala) that might not even be noteworthy to some players of CT, they could certainly make a third from some other loose thread from CC that we don't think much of YET merely because nothing's been made of it yet.  I hope I'm explaining my thoughts well enough lol.

I guess overall, I thought that CT was complete in and of itself, but CC opened it wide up and left it vulnerable while at the same time making it so complicated that it was hard for me to grasp it, all happening because of one loose thread that I didn't even agree was an important or existing loose thread in the first place.  So I'd either have liked it to just stay one game, or I'd like a 3rd, to help me grasp the 2nd better.  But just leaving it at 2 games, and hard to grasp, leaves me feeling a bit empty about the whole thing....  Even for those who don't feel the same way, do you at least understand what I mean?

Anyway, that's just how I feel.  Nothing more than that.

The general consensus is that Chrono Trigger could stand alone just fine on its own. Chrono Cross needs Chrono Trigger to make actual sense, but doesn't work as well as a stand-alone game. It is a middle-piece we've all been told to accept as the end, hence this huge website and fanbase constantly talking about what the third in the series would be like.

Things come in 3 for a reason. It's because it makes things (especially in storytelling) much easier to comprehend. People like knowing there's 1, the beginning, 2, the middle, and 3, the ending.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 06:58:04 pm by Mr Bekkler »

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 14, 2010, 08:20:37 pm »
Could it be a prequel?
Not sure whether that works well for Chrono series, but a story about the rise of Zeal, or about how young Janus became Magus would be nice.