Author Topic: Governments of the Chrono Series [Finalized]  (Read 12888 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Governments of the Chrono Series [Finalized]
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2005, 04:51:11 am »
Okay, I'll bite. If America's special forces are only "third best," then I'm going to guess that Israel and the United Kingdom hold the first- and second-place honors respectively. Am I right?

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2005, 07:08:56 pm »
Well, I'm not most people, I guess.  I used the JTF2 as part of an RPG a while back.  Got a free manga for that -- interesting story behind it.

I tend to hold that the landmass that Guardia and Porre exist on is that of the Western Hemisphere -- North and South America, respectively.

And yes, capitalism does rule.  If it weren't for capitalism, there'd be no Pizza Hut.  Though I don't want to get into a debate on the merits of capitalism, I do hold that America and the other governments that populate our world today will still rise if the history outside of that explicitly established by the games is left alone.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2005, 01:24:26 am »
Quote from: Lord J esq
Okay, I'll bite. If America's special forces are only "third best," then I'm going to guess that Israel and the United Kingdom hold the first- and second-place honors respectively. Am I right?

Aha! Got one. Actually, no. I'm not quite sure where Israel places. They're good, I've heard, and ruthless against terrorism, but I haven't heard them as either of the top two. First is the British SAS. Second is JTF2 a few of us mentioned: Canadian special forces. Like I said, a friend of the family is joining them. He was once in the Army Reserves, and somehow managed to take part in an Ironman race against the U.S. special forces, and was able to outdo them.
The thing is, though, Canada has always had, per soldier, one of the best armies in the world, outdoing both the U.S. and Britain. The Americans tried to invade once, and actually got lost. And anyone know why the White House is white? It's because the Candadians - British at the time, I suppose - burned it, and they needed to paint it. I think it was in retaliation for a raid on some Canadian city, where the Americans had brought back a 'scalp' as proof of British barbarity... ie. the wig of the House Speaker. It's a funny story I always like to tell. In the first world war the British were often a little too, how shall we put it, sure of themselves? There's always the story of them kicking footballs as they walked across no-man's land at the Somme, thinking the artillery bombardment - something like 2million shells in a five kilometer stretch -had killed all the Germans... that is, until the machine-gun fire opened up. The Canadians, on the other hand, advanced cautiously. They were also one of the few groups to hold firm in the face of the first gas attack, while the British ran for it. The other group in the First World War that was known for holding their ground in the face of overnumbering odds are the ANZACS, the Austrailian/New Zealand corps. But even now things aren't much different. A while back I heard that the Canadians in their old Leopard II MBTs beat the American M1's in wargames.
Now, if only we could get some equipment so that our helicopters stop crashing...

Hadriel

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2005, 03:23:04 am »
I could probably make a fortune if I invented equipment to make our pilots stop getting drunk.  Too bad somebody already invented the dai-katana.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2005, 05:21:54 am »
Quote from: Hadriel
I could probably make a fortune if I invented equipment to make our pilots stop getting drunk.  Too bad somebody already invented the dai-katana.

How about something so they don't bomb their allies?

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2005, 08:03:14 am »
I think it is a bad idea to give amphetamines to jet fighter pilots.

Hadriel

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2005, 01:32:42 am »
I think it's a bad idea to give amphetamines to ANYONE.

Except maybe convicts as a method of execution.  Inject enough steroids into them and their heart will start beating so fast it explodes.

This cruel method of execution has been brought to you by the voices in my head.

saridon

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • eater of cows and small fuzzy animals since 1991
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2005, 02:56:28 am »
Quote from: Hadriel
I think it's a bad idea to give amphetamines to ANYONE.

Except maybe convicts as a method of execution.  Inject enough steroids into them and their heart will start beating so fast it explodes.

This cruel method of execution has been brought to you by the voices in my head.

lol another cruel method would be to cover their feet in salt water and tie them to a low table in a room with a pack of goats and goats love salt :twisted:

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2005, 04:51:18 am »
I think the worst of executions have already been devised and carried out througout the course of the ancient world: crucifixion, flaying, human torches (and by this I mean torches for Nero's garden parties...), impaling, etc...

Wiesty

• Fan Project Leader
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gmreborn.tloveland.com
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2005, 10:54:10 am »
of coarse america exploits people, who do u think owns coca-cola. chiquita, nike etc.

Lazarus Plus

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2005, 12:53:28 pm »
Quote from: Guardian_of_Ages
Quote from: Lord J esq

Aha! Got one. Actually, no. I'm not quite sure where Israel places. They're good, I've heard, and ruthless against terrorism, but I haven't heard them as either of the top two. First is the British SAS. Second is JTF2 a few of us mentioned: Canadian special forces. Like I said, a friend of the family is joining them. He was once in the Army Reserves, and somehow managed to take part in an Ironman race against the U.S. special forces, and was able to outdo them.

I'm curious how that proves anything at all? Are they trained better in their respective mission profiles is what I'm concerned about. And you wouldn't have any way of knowing THAT. because that information is not given out to civilians.

The thing is, though, Canada has always had, per soldier, one of the best armies in the world, outdoing both the U.S. and Britain. The Americans tried to invade once, and actually got lost. And anyone know why the White House is white? It's because the Candadians - British at the time, I suppose - burned it, and they needed to paint it. I think it was in retaliation for a raid on some Canadian city, where the Americans had brought back a 'scalp' as proof of British barbarity... ie. the wig of the House Speaker.

It was a contingent of Royal British Marines that offloaded from a ship that burned the White House. And that was during the War of 1812. I'm not sure where you got this info that CANADIAN soldiers burned the White House.

By the way, citing American military performance from almost two hundred years ago doesn't prove anything about the state of affiars now.

It's a funny story I always like to tell. In the first world war the British were often a little too, how shall we put it, sure of themselves? There's always the story of them kicking footballs as they walked across no-man's land at the Somme, thinking the artillery bombardment - something like 2million shells in a five kilometer stretch -had killed all the Germans... that is, until the machine-gun fire opened up. The Canadians, on the other hand, advanced cautiously. They were also one of the few groups to hold firm in the face of the first gas attack, while the British ran for it. The other group in the First World War that was known for holding their ground in the face of overnumbering odds are the ANZACS, the Austrailian/New Zealand corps. But even now things aren't much different. A while back I heard that the Canadians in their old Leopard II MBTs beat the American M1's in wargames.

Are you kidding me? When the Americans arrived, the German 1917 gains in territory were wiped out instantly. Something the Canadians weren't able to stop. And when did the British ever do something that stupid? If they did, they did it once and once only. Being showered with bullets tends to learn a person up real well. I hope you aren't forgetting about the American stand at Bastogne when one American infantry division was under assualt by multiple converging SS Panzer divisions during the Battle of the Bulge. And if you want to talk about "holding their ground when vastly outnumbered" the Germans definitely deserve more props than anyone else. In WWI and WWII they would WIN when outnumbered, and they threw up the most tenacious defense imaginable.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2005, 01:18:49 pm »
Quote from: Lazarus Plus
The thing is, though, Canada has always had, per soldier, one of the best armies in the world, outdoing both the U.S. and Britain. The Americans tried to invade once, and actually got lost. And anyone know why the White House is white? It's because the Candadians - British at the time, I suppose - burned it, and they needed to paint it. I think it was in retaliation for a raid on some Canadian city, where the Americans had brought back a 'scalp' as proof of British barbarity... ie. the wig of the House Speaker.

It was a contingent of Royal British Marines that offloaded from a ship that burned the White House. And that was during the War of 1812. I'm not sure where you got this info that CANADIAN soldiers burned the White House.

More than half the British soldiers from that war were actually people from Canada. I don't know if those who burnt the White House were British or Canadian though.

And the renaming is an urban legend, the White House had already been painted in white many years before this attack.

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2005, 01:47:31 pm »
Quote from: Wiesty
of coarse america exploits people, who do u think owns coca-cola. chiquita, nike etc.

How is that the fault of America? It's the fault of people in America, but not of the country itself. Besides, judging an entire country based on a few bad apples, is silly.

Not to mention, that Nike has cleaned up their act. I never liked Chiquita, and I somehow doubt that about Coca-Cola. Wal-mart is the biggest evil.

As well, most sweat-shops are actually in small third-world countries.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2005, 05:11:22 pm »
It's more of an exploit of different economies. Well, sometimes. Sometimes it really is cruel sweatshops, but sometimes labor is simply cheaper in other countries, even if you pay a living wage.

A friend of mine served with the Peace Corps in Panama a couple years ago. He and his wife had a $100US per month budget. In his own words, "We lived like kings." That's about $1.50 per person per day to live like royalty in Panama. So paying someone 19 cents an hour for a forty hour work week would be quite good pay.

Wiesty

• Fan Project Leader
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gmreborn.tloveland.com
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2005, 09:00:22 pm »
How is that the fault of America? It's the fault of people in America, but not of the country itself. Besides, judging an entire country based on a few bad apples, is silly.

Not to mention, that Nike has cleaned up their act. I never liked Chiquita, and I somehow doubt that about Coca-Cola. Wal-mart is the biggest evil.

As well, most sweat-shops are actually in small third-world countries.
[/quote]

WHO DO U THINK RUNS THEM