Author Topic: Expanding on the Dead Sea  (Read 2097 times)

Legend of the Past

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Expanding on the Dead Sea
« on: May 22, 2006, 10:06:14 am »
While I'm sure the actual connections between the Chrono Dead Sea and the Real world Dead Sea have been much discussed. However, being the closest Forum member to the actual Dead Sea, I feel I should share more knowledge, so you can add it to general knowledge. This is more trivia and comparison.

The idea that no life can live in the Dead Sea is false-As it turns out, some fungui and microscopic lifeforms inhabit the Dead Sea. Also, it is impossible to drown in the Dead Sea-like the Chrono Dead Sea, where you cannot sink into the water, though to it being frozen in time. The most well-known fact is that it's the lowest place on earth. The Dead Sea, being full of many different salts, produces certain substances which are a natural treasure-muds and such, which are very helpful to the skin, and are selled as cosmetics. The Dead Sea, as such, is known to contain a treasure, many benefical substances This is comparable to the Dead Sea in the Chronoverse, which contains a treasure of it's own, The Frozen Flame.

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
Re: Expanding on the Dead Sea
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 06:21:49 pm »
Wow! Nice job! Though shouldn't this be in Supernatural and Real-World connections and such? :P

ChibiBob

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 05:43:28 pm »
The idea that no life can live in the Dead Sea is false-As it turns out, some fungui and microscopic lifeforms inhabit the Dead Sea.

I don't know where anybody got the idea that nothing living could inhabit the Dead Sea — certain bacteria (called archaebacteria) exist for harsh environments like the Dead Sea. Some are crazy enough to live in volcanoes and hot springs, and some live in extreme super-saline environments, like the Dead Sea.

Wow, I guess my biology major might work out after all. >>;

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 12:38:36 pm »
Wow! Nice job! Though shouldn't this be in Supernatural and Real-World connections and such? :P

Ugh, I guess it should...

Dreamer, Zeality, admins anywhere, could you move this? My apologies.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 04:38:14 am »

Ugh, I guess it should...

Dreamer, Zeality, admins anywhere, could you move this? My apologies.

You got it!

ChronoMagus

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 10:46:43 am »
The idea that no life can live in the Dead Sea is false-As it turns out, some fungui and microscopic lifeforms inhabit the Dead Sea.

I don't know where anybody got the idea that nothing living could inhabit the Dead Sea — certain bacteria (called archaebacteria) exist for harsh environments like the Dead Sea. Some are crazy enough to live in volcanoes and hot springs, and some live in extreme super-saline environments, like the Dead Sea.

I am assuming it was named the Dead Sea long before humans understood the concept of microscopic organisms.

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 11:45:52 am »

I am assuming it was named the Dead Sea long before humans understood the concept of microscopic organisms.

Naturally. It might of stemmed from the Bible, so yeah.

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 11:49:12 am »
They didn't know of the microscopic organisms, but they must have certainly recognized the effect they had.